Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarves around the wor(l)d  (Read 2316 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves around the wor(l)d
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2008, 07:04:00 am »

To expand on the discussion:
The Dutch word 'Dwerg' is used both for Snowwhite's dwarves and for Tolkien's.
There is another word, 'kabouter' which could translate to 'gnome', although not exactly. For that, we have another word, 'gnoom'.

While gnomes are generally mischieveous beings, the 'kabouter' is a term used for 'the small folk that come and help the poor people' from popular beliefs, for instance, leaving new shoes on the doormat when a dime was put there before nightfall or treshing grain overnight. They sometimes were a little mischieveous, stealing things. But only of those that had mistreated them or forgot to leave them something.
I believe the Irish 'Leprechaun' is the most accurate English translation for 'kabouter'. You can still find their west-European representation in many gardens around the world. Red hat, white beard, you know them.
The Irish representation of the Leprechaun often wears (green) traditional Irish clothing, but looks suspiciously similar to the garden-gnome variant. The Leprechaun is also generally good-natured and helpful, but does steal from those who disrespect his kin.

So I don't think 'Leprechaun' would be a correct Irish translation for 'dwarf'.
I do wonder if there is a Irish / Gaelic word for it, so let us know if you do.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jikor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.monkeydonkey.info
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 11:14:00 am »

*ducks in*
Dorf
*runs away before he is viciously mauled*

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2008, 11:57:00 am »

Americanese: "Vertically challenged individual with real value to society.*"

*real value may involve strange moods, odd mandates, hammerings, and magma flooding. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before beginning a regimen of pebble-throwing exercise.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Magnus Nordir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

Slovenian: Škrat
Russian: карлик (karlik)

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Magnus Nordir ]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]