Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: What is the first thing you're going to do with the new  (Read 5460 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the first thing you're going to do with the new
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

I think that might work if you have no other way out. Otherwise if you have an opening somewhere back along the river into your fortress, your dwarves will probably be mandating the construction of floaties.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2007, 03:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Explodo:
<STRONG>I'm going to see if I can reroute the cave river, and if by blocking its options make it flow uphill.</STRONG>

It wouldn't work in real life, of course, but it will be interesting to see what you can do within the confines of the DF program.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Name Lips:
<STRONG>
It wouldn't work in real life, of course, but it will be interesting to see what you can do within the confines of the DF program.</STRONG>

It probably depends on how steep the hill is and how long the slope is, as well as how much pressure the water is under from its source once the cave before the hill completely fills with water. I would imagine in such a situation the water could travel a short distance up a small incline.

Jeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2007, 03:48:00 pm »

If the water was moving fast enough to travel up a hill, I think it would probably carve into the hill instead of going up.  Or just run into it and splash off to the sides.

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sylverone:
<STRONG>I've been under the impression that normally dwarves and water don't mix? A dwarf is about as likely to go for a swim as they are to climb on a horse (never). Although I imagine they wouldn't mind if they were safe and dry on the other side of the glass. Of course dwarves are also stubborn and will go to great lengths to prove themselves; which could imply building a fortress with the greatest (read: only) underwater viewing station in all the lands.

NOTE: UNDERSEA OBSERVATION WINDOWS AND TANTRUMING DWARVES DON'T MIX!
ANOTHER NOTE: DWARVES SINK!</STRONG>

My plan was to not use windows at all, just clear glass walls all the way around.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »

I'm going to build a giant water tower in my base, and during sieges, release contained water through jets at the entrance to my fort, and test to see if water pressure effects units vertically, along with potential fall damage.

Then I'll try it with magma.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Turgid Bolk:
<STRONG>You, sir, are no true dwarf. Although it is very dwarven of you to take a nap when something exciting is happening. Also: island fortress ftw. Too bad we can't go whaling yet.</STRONG>

I'm probably one of the only people who prefers the Adventure Mode in Dwarf Fortress over the Fortress Mode. ;-)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »

after seeing some of these proposed designs, I have the urge to try to recreate bases from the x-com games

[ September 27, 2007: Message edited by: sluissa ]

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2007, 10:45:00 pm »

I'm going to create a wall around my fortress with magma in it. The mining enemies will be surprised, although designing it in a way to make repairs (and refills) easy will be tricky. I have an idea, though.
I'm going to make a 3d version of this using impossible floating bridges. If impossible floating bridges turn out to be impossible, I will build supports for them.
I will build an obsidian machine (by mixing water and magma) and use the endless supply of obsidian to make many many ¤sword¤s.
I will make a room that is only accessible by bridge flinging. Goblins will live there. Hopefully I can get them a colossus for a room mate.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2007, 09:21:00 am »

Open my Bottle of Asti CinZano and Celebrate.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Phazon77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2007, 11:48:00 am »

To be honest, the first thing I am going to do is start a new fortress, relatively simple but also exploratory of the new elements if I can. I want to run into the problems that kill my dwarves (so I can learn from it), but not headlong stupid if I can avoid it.

Second thing is generate a new world (or not if my first fort ends quickly enough) and set out in adventure mode to see some of the new sights and how all the new stuff effects the mode.

Skydancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2007, 12:08:00 pm »

I'll be recreating the stygian abyss from ultima underworld 1. RAR

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »

I will mine the entire mountain, stuff it in a quantum stockpile and then build Necropolis Naxxramas from wow. Using a clear glass pillar(or 500 of them, depending on how realistic the collapse calculation is) to hold it up.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>

I'm probably one of the only people who prefers the Adventure Mode in Dwarf Fortress over the Fortress Mode. ;-)</STRONG>

Nah we are everywhere but our voices are generally not heard by hard core fortresss peeps.

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2007, 06:06:00 pm »

quote:
I'm probably one of the only people who prefers the Adventure Mode in Dwarf Fortress over the Fortress Mode. ;-)

I like adventure mode but I'm waiting for it to be expanded. At the moment it feels too limiting in what you can do. I'm the most excited about the future of Adventure Mode, but I certainly already like the basic system that's already there. Adventure mode will truly shine once the world becomes really responsive and more interaction is possible.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10