Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: What is the first thing you're going to do with the new  (Read 5450 times)

Crowley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the first thing you're going to do with the new
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 10:21:00 pm »

Send out a single dwarf to the arctic wastelands. Make him proficient in most skills. One axe, one pick, set of clothes and minimal food. See how long he can sustain himself.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 12:49:00 am »

Im going to flatten the mountain into a quarry and make a castle!  :D

To which if i can at all, add swallows and coconuts.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 02:38:00 am »

Dig enough stone an cut enough wood so i can reach the map ceiling...

Then blot out the sun, so my dwarves can go down the original spire, and fight the massed pers... er, GOBLIN hordes.
IN THE SHADE!

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Rinion Incanus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 02:48:00 am »

Build an obsidian tower that touches the clouds with a set of catacombs beneath and a dank mine even deeper. The owner will be a dwarf count of epic proportions and will be set in a great obsidian tomb beneath the tower upon his death, his heir taking over. I might build a temporary town of wood to the south of the tower, but it will be tore down before everyone dies. Then, I will make an adventurer that is very, very powerful and has leet addy armor to inhabit the tower and make him some sort of mystic or such.

Yeah, with the being able to go where ever and rewall, the possibilities are essentially endless.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 03:13:00 am »

Start out with basic stuff to get a feel for the scores of new features and expand from there. Don't want to start extravagant because there's undoubtedly 50 new creative ways for a fortress to meet its demise in the new version. :P
Like accidentally breaking into the side of an underground lake.
Or worse, the side of an underground magma flow.
Or worse, finding the map has elephants outside, and hippos in the river. Maybe have madrills as another benifit.

But among one of my projects is to recreate Ironforge from WoW. Sadly, forge is not currently in Dwarven language, but that may or may not be changing.
But yeah, find a nice cold or freezing "temperate" forest, probably coniferous, and try to get wolves and stuff with it. I might leave out the filthy gnome section though. :P

Maybe Blackrock Mountain too, for a real challenge. Fun part is setting up the Molten Span. It already can be named too: Udirid Onol

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 03:32:00 am »

The Maze of Ultimate Invader Entertainment :

Make a retractable bridge which drops all my invaders into a three-level maze (so that they all get separated) filled with pressure-plate traps which open floodgates releasing elephants, demons, and other funny stuff. Make the maze end with an arena where the survivors of my maze get to fight a full squad of dwarves (and by full I mean drunk).

Then I'll post videos of the events.  :cool:

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 03:57:00 am »

I'll try as the above posters will try, actually playing the game, exploring the new features, and cackling madly over the possibilities of 3D excavation and rewalling.

However, the net result will be cave-ins. And starvation as we fail to locate water. And a few more cave ins.

And then probably finding a magma flow. By finding, I mean getting fried by.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 04:25:00 am »

Build a fort under a human town.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 04:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightning4:
<STRONG>Start out with basic stuff to get a feel for the scores of new features and expand from there. Don't want to start extravagant because there's undoubtedly 50 new creative ways for a fortress to meet its demise in the new version. :P
Like accidentally breaking into the side of an underground lake.
Or worse, the side of an underground magma flow.
Or worse, finding the map has elephants outside, and hippos in the river. Maybe have madrills as another benifit.

But among one of my projects is to recreate Ironforge from WoW. Sadly, forge is not currently in Dwarven language, but that may or may not be changing.
But yeah, find a nice cold or freezing "temperate" forest, probably coniferous, and try to get wolves and stuff with it. I might leave out the filthy gnome section though. :P

Maybe Blackrock Mountain too, for a real challenge. Fun part is setting up the Molten Span. It already can be named too: Udirid Onol</STRONG>

Make diagonal iron ramps for pathways. Fill them with iron chains for aesthetics. And put a dragon on the top of the mountain. And don't forget the iron coffin with a legendary mason in it.

The hardest part will be the lava in the Molten Core because you need to drain it at exactly the same rate as they appear.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 06:06:00 am »

Recreate Nethack. (Cutting out generic Dungeon of Doom and Gehennom levels to fit the whole thing in 15 z-levels.)
Making Juiblex's swamp, Medusa's level and the Castle will take some planning. (They contain standing water, for those playing at home.)

Other than that, fool around in adventure mode to see if any improvements slipped in there.

Thallone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 07:37:00 am »

Silly me, I was planning in extracting the zipfile first  :p I will want to play with cavein mechanics and see what things do. Sadly, i'm no fan of adjacent z-levels in concept, but otoh, if the screenies are accurate, I am a fan of being able to start at a mineral vein.

One thought does come to mind though; farm stacks. Ranther than having dwarves running all over to get the crop in, the farms will be able to be stacked vertically and connected by floodable shafts and an adjacent staircase.

Teal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 07:58:00 am »

Magma waterfall defence  :D
code:

ground level
.....##########
.....##########
.....+++^^^^^^^
.....+++^^^^^^^ <your>
.....+++^^^^^^^
.....##########
.....##########

1st Floor (maybe 2nd or 3rd)
.....##########
.....X_________
......X________
.......X_______ <insert>
......X________
.....X_________
.....##########

It could also use water... but magma is better (and if it creates a mist like water does then that's even better)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 08:01:00 am »

I plan to dig out a great big hole in the desert. Then, using rewalling, I will construct a citadel above the pit, sitting on numerous spires, with a single staircase, at the center, going down into the pit.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 08:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keilden:
<STRONG>Build a fort under a human town.</STRONG>

Then when they get annoying, collpase the fortress?

ScatmanJohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 09:41:00 am »

I'm going to create an imposing fortress of obsidian and pump magma up from the earth and have it stream down the walls into a huge moat. Something like this:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10