Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Superdwarf Fishing  (Read 4144 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Superdwarf Fishing
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 03:27:32 am »

That would make them around kobold size. Poor kobolds. :D

Also it's really too bad there's no provisions yet for a critter swallowing another whole.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 08:02:53 am »

The real killer is the grasp part which makes it so they pull your dwarf in with them.
What? There's no grasp part on carps and you cannot pull anything in any case.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 04:04:51 pm »

I think he meant ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH on their bite attack.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 08:08:55 pm »

Which, for reference, just makes the carp go OMNOMNOMNOMNOM on your dwarves.  Instead of CHOMP.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 09:10:26 am »

Still it has nothing to do with pulling :). People give wrong info to each other and enjoy it for some reason :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 01:54:27 pm »

Still it has nothing to do with pulling :). People give wrong info to each other and enjoy it for some reason :D.

Are you sure the AI doesn't have any way of pulling things around as a wrestling move?  Dwarves are clearly able to drag each other to shops during fell moods etc.  I know there's no Adv. Mode option for it, but that's true of a lot of combat stuff.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 09:10:29 am »

It's possible that they do the prisoner/animal haul thing when they do that. I've never had a fell/macabre mood, so I dunno, that's what it sounds like though.

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 10:53:11 pm »

There's no combat action to move another creature to a difference tile by wrestling.

The closest is the "throw" wrestling command, which makes the creature thrown flying for a frame (or frames, no idea really) so that the creature is stunned as if it hit the ground from a fall.

A creature struck can also be sent flying with the force of the blow, but that's hardly a controlled thing, and no wrestling move can do it.

(I remember the first time I saw that.  One of my first forts, and the Bronze Colossus came and I had no idea what we were in for.  My population of fifty morons were slaughtered, leaving me a guy resting from a sparing injury in bed tantruming in his room, and the dungeon master sobbing like crazy in an alcove the megabeast hadn't stumbled upon yet while the Colossus hunted down every last kitten.  Anyway, the first victim got smashed down the entire length of a hallway inside my fort.  One of the most vivid moments I'd had.  Even though I was barely able to manipulate the interface, and had a hard time knowing what was going on, I could visualize that poor dwarf flying down the hallway past the absolutely horrified faces of his friends to smash into the wall.)

But the correct information has been stated.  A carp would flee from a dwarf except for the water not offering them a lot of places to go.  But as soon as they are on adjacent tiles (height doesn't count, yeah, you can actually attack any flying thing as long as you are horizontally adjacent regardless of how high it is) they attack the dwarf.  If the dwarf dodges, there's a random chance they'll dodge into any adjacent tile, which puts them in the water.

Once in the water, a dwarf with no swimming skills has its speed reduced significantly, not to mention the drowning problem.  So the carp with the bite is attacking many times for each time the dwarf acts.  It's still a fight that the dwarf can win as long as he's punching of course.  If the dwarf is "wrestling" the carp, with no limbs to break, no throat to strangle (eye gouging is a remote possibility, though not very likely) he's just wasting the few attacks he has.

Now, since there's no combat reports in fortress mode, it looks like what people assumed was happening.  Dwarf wanders near a water source, and suddenly he's in the water dying.  The damn carp must be dragging him in!      How did that happen?  Urist McFishfood was all the way up on the bank!  Carp are dangerous!

But it was really a combination of circumstances.  The fact that any creature can attack any other regardless of the height difference. The dodge (normally a good thing now turned against you) that lands you the water.  The fact that any murky pool that's full or river is always always always deep enough to drown an unskilled swimmer. (I'm thinking of in our ordinary reality how strange it would be to find a pond that's only 8 feet deep or deeper, and never shallow, with banks that are too steep and just cannot be climbed out of.  Now imagine that every single pond ever is like that.) The fact that any murky pool or river cannot be escaped from (without a ramp) by an unskilled swimmer.  The fact that an unskilled swimmer's speed is crippled while in the water drowning.  The fact that an unarmed fighter will often wrestle his opponent instead of just punching it, in this case a very useless combat action.

I talk too much.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E
Pages: 1 [2]