Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Because It's There, A Climbing Contest  (Read 17131 times)

dUMBELLS

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Misc. Object User (RUSTY)
    • View Profile
Re: Because It's There, A Climbing Contest
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 06:51:37 pm »

I start my journey, killing elves and selling their clothes for food.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 06:53:05 pm »

You might not need as much food as previously assumed.  I'm four world-map tiles from the summit and I've only used a single unit of water, and no food.

Night is falling, I'm trying to sleep, but something sees me.  I'm worried there's a giant eagle somewhere overhead.  It's too dark to see, though.  This is worrying.

Update:  A new discovery!  Start your journey just before dawn, and don't sleep.  Try to summit before nightfall.  The nights are freeze-the-eyes-out-of-your-head cold.  I almost died, but the cold stopped.  Maybe it's freezing winds?  Either way, I'm blind now, I hope it's only temporary.

Food's frozen solid, so is the water.  I'm hungry, cold, blind, and every part of my body has a gray wound.  I don't think I'm going to make it to the summit.  I'm going to try though, even if I have to crawl on my hands and knees to get there.  I'm in the black now.  I'm no longer on a part of the mountain that can be seen from the world map.  Three tiles to the summit.

It's still dark, and another freezing wind is hitting.  I don't think I'm going to be able to handle another.  Like I said, if at all possible, summit before nightfall, because this cold is deadly.

Giant Eagle, came at me out of nowhere.  It broke my hip, I'm going to have to crawl to the summit, but so help me, I will make it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:05:51 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

dUMBELLS

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Misc. Object User (RUSTY)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 07:07:36 pm »

Alright, I was stuck in a little inlet with mountains and a dwarven settlement and had to swim across a three tile lake to get close to a peak. (I'm not using yours.) I'm hoping my stats improve this way.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 07:08:14 pm »

About to set off, I'll take your advice and try to leave around dawn to avoid the whole Pitch Black "die at sundown" thing.

I started at the one mountainhome in the world and went down to the human towns to prepare.  Along the way I slew a couple cougars and a bunch of wolves without taking a scratch, which with the v39* enemies-spawn-in-your-backpack problem was quite the confidence booster.

I traded my gauntlets and GCS silk cap (score!) for a spare waterskin and two backpacks and stole a bunch of meat.  I stopped at a river and am about to set off.  I've got 40 units of meat, more than I'll ever need, and 106 (!) units of water.  I had to leave one pack empty just so I could still move at a normal pace.  I'm sure I'll curse this water when it turns to a giant ice block on my back, but here I go!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 07:15:06 pm »

Speaking of which, I wonder if near the summit it'll be so cold water will freeze in the daytime.  I can't eat my food it's so cold.  There's only one intermediate tile between me and the Summit Tile though.  For Mankind!

Dawn is finally breaking, I'm still blind though.  I was just attacked by a sasquatch.  It mangled my upper body, broke my shield arm, and beat me senseless.  I lost consciousness and woke up to find it had bled to death.  I think I'm going to die.

The pain is too much, I keep going in and out of consciousness.  If something finds me while I'm out...  I'm also starving, my food is still too cold to eat.

It becomes possible to eat and drink in the day.  I'm getting drowsy, which is bad.  I might have to sleep through the day.  If I have to take on another mountain night, I don't think I'll make it to the top.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:23:08 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 07:17:47 pm »

maybe the trick is to wear layers of clothing?  i'll have to try this challenge.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 07:20:29 pm »

im going in now too.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 07:23:24 pm »

Dawn is finally breaking, I'm still blind though.  I was just attacked by a sasquatch.  It mangled my upper body, broke my shield arm, and beat me senseless.  I lost consciousness and woke up to find it had bled to death.  I think I'm going to die.

The pain is too much, I keep going in and out of consciousness.  If something finds me while I'm out...  I'm also starving, my food is still too cold to eat.

Dwarf Fortress mountaineering is hardcore.  I got waylaid by so many chasm creatures at once that I went into a trance and exploded an antman.  And I have a new hatred for brooks.

Many, I'm just now a full maptile away from the plains.  Damn this takes a while.  I keep running into stutters and single FPS slowdowns.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 07:25:21 pm »

Yeah, it's rough going, I got lucky, I haven't hit a chasm, but I've seen two brooks.

I'm adjacent to the summit tile, I think I'm going to make it!

I CAN SEE AND WALK!  My broken bone is finally walkable, and my eyes have healed!  It's so great to see.  For the longest time I was just walking a flat plain.  That field must have been huge.

I'm at the summit tile.  All that's left is to find the highest point on the map.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:33:45 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 07:35:16 pm »

lots of snow covered chalk... and builders... nothing else...
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 07:37:19 pm »

The darkness is closing in, but no frostbite yet.  My water's turned solid so I've elected to unencumber myself by dropping the giant block in my backpack.  +200 speed.  About halfway there now.

These mountains would make a great fortress.  Loads of magnetite and coal, and all the chalk in the world.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 07:41:38 pm »

I think I've found the summit.  I'm on a huge plateau on the peak tile.  I'm seeing if it rises any more.  Other than the occasional monster, and the frost-winds, this actually isn't as much of a challenge as it seemed at first.

The only real threat is the giant eagles, they'll stalk you for hours, and then pounce when you least expect it.

MY ARM IS GONE.  A GIANT EAGLE JUST TORE OFF MY RIGHT ARM.

I'm dead.  The giant eagle got me, and I was so close to the summit.  Maybe man wasn't meant to climb.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 07:45:17 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 07:45:15 pm »

Actually I just ran into my first giant eagle three tiles away from the peak area.  I battered him to death in a few turns, but in the openning round he broke my freaking leg.  This is gonna set me back.

I never realized that moonlight affects your view radius.

Hey, it went from deathly cold to just freezing.  Nice.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 07:48:11 pm »

giant eagles... the most exiting thing i had around me was that mountan goat i passed about 2 map squares ago.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 07:49:31 pm »

Give it time.

I just found out the name of the summit.  The peak of hags.  Nice.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9