Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Because It's There, A Climbing Contest  (Read 17130 times)

dUMBELLS

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Misc. Object User (RUSTY)
    • View Profile
Re: Because It's There, A Climbing Contest
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 07:51:19 pm »

After swimming through the lake and finding a brook to follow I finally got to the other side. I also found another river and a chasm, but that's not the point. I'm going to recruit a climbing partner at Bootswords. Perhaps then I could survive? I'm going to buy some waterskins and then I'm off.

EDIT: I found the mayor and he gave me a quest to kill a titan... This could be a way to test my climbing partner before we advance.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 07:52:44 pm »

my adventurer was getting tired so hes sleeping now... but im not too happy about it. hope he doesnt get eaten by elves or something.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 07:56:15 pm »

I'm trying again, this time as Siti Tunnelvises.  I'm also taking a different path to the summit.
Shoes...

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 07:58:12 pm »

im still alive, dehidrated but alive... only got ice now but dawn is breaking.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 07:59:26 pm »

Well, I'm drowsy and I have a bum leg, but other than that, the summit has been reached without incident.  It's so flat up here that without the map you'd never know it.  I've actually gone right through it, and am considering going for the farther peaks.

Now...  How do the hell do I get off this mountain?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 08:02:20 pm »

I dunno.  Who thinks we should use 3Dwarf to map the summit so we can see if there's a real peak?
Shoes...

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 08:07:30 pm »

I made it to the summit square but didn't find out if I really was on the summit.

It pretty much went this way...

I started on the mountain halls but before climbing I went to the southern human town to get some supplies and killed lots of wolves along the road. I arrived to the town and gave myself a five finger discount on several meats and a extra backpack for the water.

I went north to the closets point I could find to the summit prior to beginning the climbing and filled the backpack with freshwater from a stream.

Along the way I discovered 3 chasms. Two giant eagles pursued me but I outruned them (nobody outruns a dwarf carrying two backpacks full of water and meat). I arrived to the summit in the dead of the night, got hungry and thirsty and discovered that the water turned to ice. I got drowsy, A giant eagle ambushed me and died fighting it. But the eagle got pretty banged during the battle. So I died at the top I guess. Not for the faint of heart.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:10:47 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 08:13:24 pm »

made it to the summit... nothing happened on the way there...  :'(

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2008, 08:15:23 pm »

So it seems like it's pretty easy to reach the summit square, but finding an actual peak seems to be tough.  Maybe someone should use 3Dwarf to find it.
Shoes...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »

Giant eagles are EVIL.

Halfway there, one of them had hurt my leg so I decided to sleep in order to heal it.  SUDDENLY GIANT EAGLE.  Killed me!  Gah.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2008, 08:41:44 pm »

Perhaps for the next peak, the world can be particularly cold. Or a scorching mountain. It seems weather extremes are a part of this.

Then as well as food, you will need to get some insulating clothing. At least, I think you can get insulating clothing. As for dealing with maps that have extreme(Parameters far beyond the vanilla ones), we could have a list of mods that you may use. Like heatstones, or insulating clothes made beyond the vanilla items amount.

Now trying with a small fortress acting as a "Base Camp."
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2008, 08:42:35 pm »

Well, I have a second character at the peak, and no sign of an actual summit.  there's a large plateau though, I guess that's the summit.

Truly we have made history today.  The first people to climb a Dwarf Fortress mountain.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 08:45:42 pm »

Now the obvious next challenge is to paint a world with the tile heights all jacked up so the mountain breaches the sky.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 09:04:47 pm »

Yeah; a pocket world with X-TREME mountains and X-TREME weather, preferably reallyyy cold.

That would be perfect.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

dUMBELLS

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Misc. Object User (RUSTY)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2008, 09:06:52 pm »

I had to kill the titan myself before someone finally joined me, Tekkud Teacherlashed. EDIT: Someone else, Kogan Flagtwig, has always wished to see far-away places. I had to let him join me.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:13:49 pm by dUMBELLS »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9