Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I'm making a Magic set  (Read 11189 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
I'm making a Magic set
« on: July 25, 2008, 02:27:48 pm »

Yes, a Magic the Gathering set, as opposed to a deck. I'm using the Magic Card Editor 2 software. What I need, though, are card ideas! This includes everything, down to land design. I'm using the same basics (there's still mountains, islands, plains, and so on), but I'm making all the cards from scratch.

This is all for a bit of a competition here- somebody's making a 1930's set, probably somewhere there's going to be a Chuck Norris deck (it's all chuck. Chuck Norris has banding with Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris has doublestrike, doubletrample, and doubleflying. Chuck Norris cannot be blocked, but when Chuck Norris deals damage to a player, all that player's creatures die. And all that player's relatives.)

So, what are some card ideas? I'm thinking that Dwarf Fortresses would be mountains, elves would be forests, humans would be plains, goblins could be swamps, and kobolds will be uh... islands. I'm open to suggestions.

Without further ado, the entire deck to date:

(Creatures with !!Burning!! take 1 damage at the start of each upkeep. This is combat damage, not -0/-1 counters; thus !!Creatures!! will burn eternally)
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
Re: I'm making a Magic set
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 02:46:47 pm »

Goblin seige
Enchantment
Red or Black
Sacrifice a dwarf: Put three +1/+1 counters on target creature.
(representing the woodcutters lost before killing the goblins and taking their iron armor, and melting it.)
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 03:00:51 pm »

Well, the GCSs sock might rather be an artifact that gives a target creature the "!!Burning!!" ability by tapping?

Alright, let's see here...

"Dabbling Siege Operator" 1R

Creature - Dwarf, 1/1

T,R: Dabbling Siege Operator deals damage equal to a target attacking creature's toughness to that creature. That creature's controller chooses a creature you control. Dabbling Siege Operator deals the same amount of damage to the selected creature.

------

Cat-Splosion 3GG

Enchantment

When Cat-Splosion comes into play, put two 1/1 Creature - Cat tokens into play.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control at least two Creature - Cat tokens,
put into play an amount of 1/1 Creature - Cat tokens equal to the amount of Creature - Cat
tokens you control, otherwise sacrifice Cat-Splosion.
At the beginning of your opponent's upkeep, Cat-Splosion deals damage to you, equal to the
amount of Creature - Cat tokens you control divided by 10, rounded up.

------

Wrong Lever 2RR
Instant
You can play Wrong Lever any time your opponent activates an ability of a non-creature Artifact he or she controls.
Deal damage equal to the amount of mountains in play, distributed among any number of creatures your opponent controls.
Your opponent loses 2 life.

------

That's all I can come up with for the moment...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 03:38:22 pm »

Mountainhome
Land - Mountain
(T: Add R to your mana pool)
Mountainhome comes into play tapped
R, T: Deal 1 damage to target creature

Magma Flood  4RR
Sorcery
Destroy all artifacts and creatures.  Then, all creatures gain !!burning!!

Forest Retreat
Land - Forest
(T: Add G to your mana pool)
Comes into play tapped.
G, Sacrifice a creature, T: Gain 1 life.

Ugh, the problem is that Dwarf Fortress Dwarfs are really U/R, the Elves are G/B, the Goblins are R/B, the Humans are W/R, and the Kobolds are R.  It doesn't really fit too well with the traditional color schemes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:43:04 pm by mutant mell »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:12:40 pm »

Woodcutter: 2/1 for 1R. It has "Provoke. This ability only functions on elves."

Human Drunk: Banding with Adventurers.
“That sounds like an exellent idea! Let’s get out of here!”

-Is that the right text for the Drunk?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:21:50 pm by PTTG?? »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 05:40:22 pm »

It's just "Hey, that sounds like a great idea!"
Shoes...

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:49:36 pm »

Strange Mood 2U
Sorcery
Search your library for an artifact of enchantment, and put it into your hand.  Then shuffle your library.

Skeletal Calling (M?)
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature's type becomes skeleton, and gains B: Regenerate

Crossbow
Artifact - Equipment
Equip (M)
Equiped creatures gains T: Deal 1 damage to target creature or player

Urist McDwarf 2R
Creature - Dwarf
2/2

Higher Calling 3W
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature is Legendary, and gains +2/+2

@ Human Drunk: Banding is a very clunky ability, so honestly, don't use it.  Instead, I would do something like this:

Drunk 1W
Creature - Human Drunk
Human Drunk gets +1/+1 if you control a legendary creature.
1/1

Catsplosion is cool, but it needs to be cleaned up to fit on a card

Cat-Splosion 3GG
Enchantment
When Cat-Splosion comes into play, put two 1/1 green cat tokens into play.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control two or more cats, put a 1/1 green cat token into play for each cat you control.  If you can't, sacrifice Cat-Splosion.
At the beginning of your opponent's upkeep, Cat-Splosion deals damage to you equal to the
number of cats you control divided by 10, rounded up.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:56:43 pm by mutant mell »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 05:56:38 pm »

Thanks C.
Good Idea, Mell. I was kind of doing Banding as a joke. I like your alternitive. Or, how 'bout this:
Tap an Adventurer: Regenerate Drunk

Giant Cave Spider, 4BBB
Creature-Spider
Reach, Trample
Entangle (Creatures that block or are blocked by this creature do not untap during the next untap step.)
6/8

Human Adventurer  1W
Creature-Human Adventurer
At the end of your turn, if Human Adventurer dealt damage, it gains a +1/+1 token.
Upkeep: 1 for every 3 +1/+1 tokens on Human Adventurer
“Tell me about this area. Tell me about this area. Tell me about this area. Tell me about this area. Tell me about this area. Tell me about this area. Tell me about this area. Tell me about this area. Tell me about this area. Tell me about this area. Tell me about this area. Tell me about this area.”
1/1

Just like any adventurer, it will die early or be huge. And then die.

Human Child W
Creature-Human Citizen
Provoke (When this attacks, you may have target creature defending player controls untap and block it if able.)
This ability may only target Adventurers.
When this creature is dealt damage by an adventurer, flip a coin. If heads, destroy the Adventurer. It cannot be regenerated.
0/1

Artifact Cabinet 4
Artifact-Equipment
Equipped creature gains +4/+0
"It menaces with spikes of silk. Don't ask me how."

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 06:56:23 pm »

You should have your land cards be based on:

White: plains
Red: Magma vent, magma pool
Green: Forest
Black: HFS
Blue: aquifer, brook, river, waterfall, underground pool, underground river
Blue/Green: swamp

Which suggests that we need more ideas for non-blue. Also, black should be all demons, so you need HFS mana to employ them.

Need megabeasts.

Also you should have strange mood be an artifact that targets a dwarf card. Then allows you to pick any artifact (except strange mood) out of your library and put it in your hand, but also gives the dwarf a +3/3 token for becoming legendary.
But if you have no artifacts in the library, the chosen dwarf is destroyed and will attack one of your random creatures in play.

Wall cards. Lots of cheap wall cards that allow a creature to bypass them, but then all trap cards take effect one by one. Each trap attacks once then is removed to your graveyard.

Need cage traps. Weapon traps.

Also a mechanic who is weak but can be tapped to bring a single weapon trap from the graveyard back into the library once per round.

Think about other dwarf professions. Most will be weak in combat. All will be weak defensively unless they have an Armor artifact.

I imagine this deck would result in a bunch of good walls that everyone bypasses hoping to get through the traps, and if they do then they slaughter the soft dwarves inside. Unless by then you managed to get Armor out and possibly a Marksdwarf.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 10:10:03 pm »

So, are we making this a magic set with cards based on Dwarf Fortress, or are we trying to recreate Dwarf Fortress with magic cards?  Most people seem to think its the latter, but I think it would be better to have the former.

He's doing this as part of a competition, with non Dwarf Fortress people, so it would be better off with the former in that case.  Dwarf Fortress currently has almost all of its emphasis on Dwarfs, so if we try to recreate the game in card form, then we'll be forcing one type of deck, which is never healthy for a set.  In addition, we need to have some basics that go in all sets.

And that's why I made "strange mood" have a generic effect.  Its a nice nod to the effect in the game, and yet it can be used without Dwarfs.  Because most of the Dwarf cards are probably going to be red (and I'd guess that most of the Dwarf inventions would be blue), so it'd be odd to have a blue card need red creatures to work.  It can't be red, either, as it makes no sense in red.

Also, try to make some basic, vanilla creatures that are exciting.  Any designer can create fun, exciting cards.  A master designer can create fun mundane cards.

Anyways, some more stuff off the top of my head:

Legendary (White?)
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Permanent
All numbers on enchanted permanent are increased by 1 (This includes power, toughness, and costs of abilities)

Dragon 5RR
Creature - Megabeast Dragon
RR: Deal 1 damage to target creature.
7/7

Bronze Colossus 10
Artifact Creature - Megabeast Construct
Prevent all damage that is not combat damage that would be dealt to Bronze Colossus.
6/6

Elf Warrior 1G
Creature - Elf
Whenever a creature that Elf Warrior dealt combat damage to goes to the graveyard, gain 1 life.
1/1

Goblin Snatcher 1R
Creature - Goblin
B, Sacrifice Goblin Snatcher: Target player discards a card.
1/1

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 11:44:20 pm »

Love the ideas, Mell. I should say; we aren't too worried about the Color Pie- I say that because, for instance, in the 1930's deck (actually more of a WW1-2-Cold era deck), all the Russians are Red. Hitler is apparently Black. (when Hitler comes into play, choose a creature type. All creatures of that type are removed from the game. When Hitler leaves play, return those creatures.) So we have some freedom.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 02:29:14 am by PTTG?? »

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 02:30:15 am »

Strange Mood 2U
Sorcery
Search your library for an artifact of enchantment, and put it into your hand.  Then shuffle your library.
This should be Tribal Sorcery - Dwarf. Scratch that, I just noticed the other message by Mutant Mell. But I think this set should form out as a fairly tribal set.

Tap an Adventurer: Regenerate Drunk
How about:
Mead Hall
Tap an Adventurer: put a 1/1  Drunk creature token into play.

This could be improved, just throwing a idea:
Vomit
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has "Tap: This creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player"

Personally, I can't get over the deadliness of vomit
    -SHADOWdump, Bay Watcher

EDIT: changed things, I wrote it in quite a hurry.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:15:06 pm by LASD »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 02:33:29 am »

...This could be improved, just throwing a idea:
Vomit
Artifact - Equipment...

The spinning +Idea+ strikes PTTG in the upper body!
It explodes into gore!
PTTG has been struck down.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 06:38:47 am »

I haven't played Magic in... years?  :-\

Can we make stuff up? I mean Unglued/Unhinged level stuff...

If so... >:D

Improbable Artifact (WBUGR)

Artifact - Equiptment
0 - Equip

Equipped creature gains +4/+2 and doublestrike and the ability to block creatures as if it has Flying (I dunno the new terms for these the point is that these artifacts are just ridiculous, so they get ridiculous bonuses)

~Here we have a Cave Spider Silk Weapon Rack. It is of the highest quality. It is studded with Camel Bone and has menacing spikes of Goblin Leather. It hurts.

----

Stud with... what?! (2RR)
Instant (Well, you never SEE your dwarves stud stuff right?  ;D)

Sacrifice target artifact, (This would be worded to include Artifact Creatures)
and if target artfact is an equipment, add one +X/+Y token to a single creature where X is the Power bonus and Y is the Defense bonus of the equipment when equiped. If X and Y equal zero, then treat the token as a +1/+1 instead.

If target artifact is an Artifact Creature, add one +Z/+A token to a single creature where Z is equal to the Power of sacrificed Artifact Creature and A equals the Defense of the sacrificed Artifact Creauture.

If target artifact is just an Artifact, place one +1/+1 token on a single creature.

~This is a Oaken Shield, it is studded with... ROPE REED?!

^ Umm, the only problem is that you'd need A4 page sized cards to display this... anyone wanna cut it down? ^^"
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 08:57:28 am »

Man. Now I wish I played this game.
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!
Pages: [1] 2 3