Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Nano Fortress (2013.1.25.1)  (Read 86511 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Nano Fortress
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2008, 12:03:46 am »

Update because I feel like it.

I warned against starting in a terrifying area, but I didn't listen to my advice.  I even Embark Now!-ed just so I could get that screenshot, because I didn't plan on staying.  But now I've resolved to ride this fort out to the bitter end, with the endless waves of zombies, crappy supply situation, and seven feckless near-peasents.  It's been one month and there's 23 dead creatures in my unit list, not including the dog whose luck ran out.  The only reprieve was when a live fox filled up the "wildlife buffer" for a little while.

You want a hardcore fortress?  Start a nanofort in a terrifying biome.  Zombie apocolypse in a closet.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2008, 12:32:11 am »

i do hope toady takes this idea to heart.. 1x1 starting area is awesome
The New Moo!

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2008, 01:48:46 am »

You want a hardcore fortress?  Start a nanofort in a terrifying biome.  Zombie apocolypse in a closet.

That sounds easier than the haunted/terrifying areas I kept getting.  Two of my starting dwarves were Axedwarfs with 6 war dogs, but the seven of them just couldn't hold up against the constant barrage of harpies, alligators, beakdogs and occasional grimeling.  The 'gators were the only relief, and I thought they'd stay away but one swam under the fortifications, wandered down into my fortress five levels below, and ripped out my miner's throat.  After killing everyone but a crippled beakdog survivor (the gator ran past him a few times, but didn't seem interested in murdering him for some reason) it finally wandered out of the fortress and left.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2008, 04:45:31 am »

I had 3 hammerdwarves and 1 axedwarf patrolling while my other 3 dwarves build stuff. Surprisingly, they lasted quite a while against the endless hordes. Eventually I think they just got tired, and so ended up dying.

I think to survive in such an area, you need to channel out around your starting area and let your military have some respite. That and not start near skeletal horses. That expedition didn't survive too long at all.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2008, 08:17:36 am »

I think 1x1 just created a new playstyle:  Survival Mode.

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2008, 08:56:02 am »

Having such a vertically orientated fort will really cause the broken vertical pathfinding to mess things up.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 11:07:13 am »

Goblins...

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2008, 12:00:31 pm »

Quote from: RedWick
I think 1x1 just created a new playstyle:  Survival Mode.

Quite true.

I'll try it out. Sounds awesome. And then some. Like a bag full of chips. Or, perhaps, a bag full of zombies.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2008, 02:45:46 pm »

Update because I feel like it.

I warned against starting in a terrifying area, but I didn't listen to my advice.  I even Embark Now!-ed just so I could get that screenshot, because I didn't plan on staying.  But now I've resolved to ride this fort out to the bitter end, with the endless waves of zombies, crappy supply situation, and seven feckless near-peasents.  It's been one month and there's 23 dead creatures in my unit list, not including the dog whose luck ran out.  The only reprieve was when a live fox filled up the "wildlife buffer" for a little while.

hmm I did that, and all I got was groundhogs :(

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2008, 06:00:33 pm »

Thank you, thank you, thank you, squee yeah at last mmm!

Question: is it possible to make a utility that turns off checking if embark is allowed or not (i.e., for mountain only fortresses, beaches that count towards ocean biome).

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2008, 06:51:12 pm »

Heh... I already build in Z-Levels. This shall be an awesome FPS-saver.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2008, 06:58:48 pm »

Has anyone embarked on a mainriver yet? Preferably sinister, lololol.

I embarked on a main river once. I only had 50 fps with the original 7, and my wagon got dropped right on top of the bridge. After realizing that I was doomed to die of FPS issues, I removed parts of the bridge and everybody died in a glorious cave-in(to the waters below)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2008, 07:58:36 pm »

Thank you, thank you, thank you, squee yeah at last mmm!

Question: is it possible to make a utility that turns off checking if embark is allowed or not (i.e., for mountain only fortresses, beaches that count towards ocean biome).

Yah, run a search for "Embark Anywhere" and you'll find it.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2008, 08:20:57 pm »

Haha!  I just embarked into a 1x1 in a "peak" square, on top of a bottomless pit.  The thing just burped magma and it all went running down the small hill into my wagon.  Shortest fort ever!

Bask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2008, 08:29:21 pm »

Yah, run a search for "Embark Anywhere" and you'll find it.

Thanks, now I feel stupid for not checking the wiki.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16