Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Nano Fortress (2013.1.25.1)  (Read 87028 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Nano Fortress
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 09:24:31 pm »

Sir: you are a legend.

;D

EDIT: Post this shiat to the wiki

Anu Necunoscut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 10:44:03 pm »

I must say this is a super cool idea, leading to interesting challenges!  Kudos!

Was the bug/feature ever addressed wherein wildlife eventually stops spawning altogether?  The endless critter invasions might stop if that happens.  One of my forts in 38c had this happen--no new wildlife, no more puppies from my dogs, yet cow calves were born once I slaughtered about half my stock.  That whole fort was a mess though--fell prey to yet another bug, wherein building an inaccesible depot and deconstructing it to build a fresh one a year later caused the departure of all caravans/liaisons to generate HUGE lag.  Drops from 30 FPS to 1.  :-(

folo4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2008, 10:56:15 pm »

oh guys, 1x1?

it is now IMPOSSIBLE to get HFS now.

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 11:08:39 pm »

oh guys, 1x1?

it is now IMPOSSIBLE to get HFS now.

Oh Really?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Addendum: The initial 7 dwarves fell rather quickly to the tentacle demons. The reclaim party of 70 dwarves, however, managed to take down 30 tentacle demons and one normal demon; only 57 dwarves left, but the demons seem to have stopped.

Time to visit as an adventurer :D

Got me down to, oh, 40 FPS on a 1x1 map, no brook or magma or anything other than the Pits and 100 creatures duking it out... AMD 5400+ X2 processor... that's a lot of fighting!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:18:42 pm by Abyss »

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 12:00:24 am »

Truly a work to behold! Now I've gone and started a fort consisting of a little hole with walls and the whole, "No one in but us!" mentality with my starting band. Although I probably should have started in a spot with an underground pond, but there's always a next time.

A THOUSAND THANKS!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 12:00:57 am »

What's HFS?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 12:11:38 am »

oh man.. that is just awesome..
The New Moo!

Rawl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 12:22:38 am »

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 12:58:55 am »

Don't embark in a evil area like I did up there.  Or any area with badass wild-er-life.

The map keeps spawning new stuff as fast as I re-kill it, and it's naturally right next to everybody.  It's game-day 2 and my woodcutters are taking on the fourth wave of zombie deer.  They've already beat up my dogs.

I just did this, my fort lasted about a month before being torn a part by skeletal elks and zombie muskoxen. It was awesome. My wagon parked right on top of 4 zombie muskoxen, luckily I had three axedwarves, 2 miners and about 15 war dogs. After the first battle, casulties numbered one axedwarf and 4 dogs. Then instantly after i had killed the last muskoxen, 5 skelks came charging at me. We won the second battle as well with my axedwarves doing a good job, however now all of my starting dwarves except a miner were injured or dead. I survived a little longer, digging myself in. However the wounded dwarves were getting thirsty, so I needed to venture out again to channel some water from the brook into a well. I waited for the opportune moment where there were only 4 normal camels wandering around. I opened the drawbridge letting out my miner to dig the channel. Just as she had finished digging the channel, 5 more zombie muskoxen rampaged in killing my last uninjured dwarf.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 01:17:20 am »

That's the whole dang map.  This is great, excellent tool for crappy computers or people looking for a new challenge.

I thought about looking for a magma pipe in a square with an aquifer and two things hit me.  One, I'm seriously addicted to map features.  And two, where would I put the fortress?

Build an obsidian tower, making new obsidian with lava + water.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 05:31:27 am »

Has anyone embarked on a mainriver yet? Preferably sinister, lololol.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 07:59:57 am »

Since I play on a 4+ year old, crappy laptop and I installed Vista on it; I need all the performance boosting I can get.

Therefore opening up those 1x1 fortresses for your convenience: http://www.geocities.com/jifodus/nanofortress.zip

It's been designed to work with v0.28.181.39c and later. If it detects the map finder in v0.28.181.39d and later, it will attempt to patch that as well.

It is possible that it will work with earlier versions, however, it's largely untested.

Also, before anyone says they see sky on the fortress overview map on a 1x1 fortress, I'll say that Dwarf Fortress wasn't originally intended to run on 1x1 local area maps hence there will be unexpected, possibly disasterous or possibly hilarious consequences.

Vista eats RAM, its a bad idea to install it on an old laptop.
However I have a decent computer with 64bit Vista, and its faster than XP. :)

I have a laptop with both XP and Vista, and just wanted to point out that in XP I get silky smooth 100FPS up to about maybe 50-60 dwarfs.  However, if I play on my Vista installation, I get 3 FPS.  At the title screen.  Managing to exit the game is difficult, no way I'm trying to generate a map.

Like Ive said dont instal Vista on a crappy comp. However if you have a decent comp like me, Vista is faster than XP.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 02:29:25 pm »

Is it just me, or are there no aquifers when embarking 1X1? I want a 1x1 with an aquifer, but whenever I embark on a 1x1 area the embark screen claims has an aquifer, I find no aquifer.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 07:49:51 pm »

This makes it even easier to make a layer of floors covering the sky and constructing an orbital bombardment device. Or pumping magma up there.
Ohh my, it seems that you came up with exactly the same idea that I've wanted to try for a long time. I attempted this on a 6x6 map, but needless to say I didn't get very far.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 09:35:17 pm »

Is it just me, or are there no aquifers when embarking 1X1? I want a 1x1 with an aquifer, but whenever I embark on a 1x1 area the embark screen claims has an aquifer, I find no aquifer.

Hmm...if this is true you could 1x1 and dig down, building walls to keep out the non-existent aquifer, then embark again as a 2x2 with the 1x1 as one tile, voila, instant penetration!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16