Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: You know, I don't think the "MUST GET SOCK" syndrome is isolated to DF...  (Read 5018 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile

So there I was, healing for a Deadmines group in World of Warcraft. The tank decided that grabbing a group of mobs then going AFK would be a great idea, and thusly we were all about to die horrible deaths. And yet despite all of this, despite my desperate attempts to keep my party alive, hoping the tank returns, I see people looting corpses. One guy walked for nearly a minute to reach a corpse while his head was being bashed it. He got 2 Linen Cloth and a handful of copper for his trouble. If anything, I had to admire their dedication.

It occurred to me then, on the run back to my corpse, that maybe it isn't a bug or a problem that Dwarves will wade through corpses of their relatives and ignore the rampaging Unicorns just to get that one pig tail sock. Indeed, I think Toady is trying to give us some sort of social commentary...that no matter the person, and no matter the tragedy befalling them or their lives, they'll always try and line their pockets with useless items.

Bravo, Toady. Bravo.

Hackenslacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's worse is that DF has loot set to FFA by default.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha, thats a nice perception of what DF is like, namely frightfully close to how people really are.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will have to regale that story to my WoW friends.

Although trying to get the guy who goes "this class sucks because" needs to get duct taped.  He never shuts up.  The person he was arguing with left the conversation entirely no less than five times 20 minutes.

Hmm...duct tape...I wonder if I can find an almost empty roll to appropriate to threaten him with next time he yaks on and on and on...

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Played WoW from launch +2 years. Dwarf Fortress is by far, a better game. I'm not being laudatory, I cringe when I recall the various episodes of drama that came up.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LFG GOBLIN TOWER
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It occurred to me then, on the run back to my corpse, that maybe it isn't a bug or a problem that Dwarves will wade through corpses of their relatives and ignore the rampaging Unicorns just to get that one pig tail sock. Indeed, I think Toady is trying to give us some sort of social commentary...that no matter the person, and no matter the tragedy befalling them or their lives, they'll always try and line their pockets with useless items.

But in WoW when somebody dies they don't stay dead, giving incentive to grab as much stuff as you can before you inevitably die from the torrent of mobs and have to do a corpse run, or before the bodies of the dead mobs despawn (along with their loot.)

There's a reason people in reality try their damn hardest to stay alive; going as far as abandoning their homes, possessions, and even friends and family if they have to and that reason is because when you die you don't come back. In DF the same rule applies so I don't see why a game that is governed by the rules of reality should have entities that act as if they're playing a game.

Summary: When dwarves die they don't come back, but they act as if they do.

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sometimes that Pigtail Sock just fills the meaningless void of life.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 08:41:01 am by Kalimar »

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They don't have the instinct for survival because, no matter what, they're gonna die, usually because they player gets bored.

Funnily enough, had one dwarf who actually stole stuff from the goblin group and lived, so perhaps they're also drunk and are setting up dares for each other? That still fits the description of humanity.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a reason people in reality try their damn hardest to stay alive; going as far as abandoning their homes, possessions, and even friends and family if they have to and that reason is because when you die you don't come back. In DF the same rule applies so I don't see why a game that is governed by the rules of reality should have entities that act as if they're playing a game.

If you die in Canada Boatmurdered, you die in real life.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

Played WoW from launch +2 years. Dwarf Fortress is by far, a better game. I'm not being laudatory, I cringe when I recall the various episodes of drama that came up.

Its quite  a subjective opinion what you you have there. WoW is good, but its hard to compare these games. Both games have very different "playerbase"...a typical WoW player wouldnt touch DF for sure. I was also playing WoW for quite a lot, until I realized that its pointless to play. Its just always the same even if they gonna release the new expansion....+10 lvls +new shiny loot and thats it. Basically Blizzard is always doing the same thing to keep its playerbase, and as it looks like..it works. I am quite surprised actually, since we dont see any new groundbreaking stuff in WoW, and we wont see something like that in the upcoming expansion either...Now Dwarf Fortress is a totally different game. I enjoy DF more than WoW to be honest, my only problem with DF is the "sandbox" mode. I think after the Army Arc is fully functional + some parts of the Caravan Arc [+ hopefully the Presentation Arc will also kick in to upgrade the interface + graphics / tile modding], DF will be my all time favourite...and just think, what else Toady plans to add, the dev list is huge and amazing. Sadly the development is quite slow, it would be awesome to have v1.0 in the next year but its just totally impossible of course, since Toady is the only coder + the game is very complex, and requires lot of coding work.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:58:02 pm by Tormy »

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I quit wow after I realised the levels of elitism in those forums, me and a few friends got into the top 20 on the rampage league in europe, only to be told either "Not cyclone noobs" or "you're a rogue mage combo(even though our third team mate was a shaman!) that requires no skills.

I quit shortly after.

These forums are so much better.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile

Well, these forums have a hefty amount of elitism to them, it's just more passive, and far less frothing at the mouth. Still, to quit a game based on a game's forums is kind of silly.

WoW is a pretty astonishing game, considering what is has accomplished. But it in no way should be compared to this game. It's not even apples and oranges. It's apples and like...well, apples and pig tail socks.

This is not what thread was about. I only named the game so people would have a reference point. Let's nip the comparing and inevitable flame way in the bud, shall we?

Any other games/situations where you see people trying to get that pig tail sock?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I've seen somebody in Wurm Online trying desperately to retrieve his corpse from multiple high level mobs only because it had an opal on it.

After getting tired of being nagged to help I killed the spiders and lured away the trolls for him only to discover that his precious opal was minimum quality and literally worth less than dirt.

Of course this may not count fully because the person was A) A newbie and B) Also respawned whenever he died.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, these forums have a hefty amount of elitism to them, it's just more passive, and far less frothing at the mouth. Still, to quit a game based on a game's forums is kind of silly.

WoW is a pretty astonishing game, considering what is has accomplished. But it in no way should be compared to this game. It's not even apples and oranges. It's apples and like...well, apples and pig tail socks.

This is not what thread was about. I only named the game so people would have a reference point. Let's nip the comparing and inevitable flame way in the bud, shall we?

Any other games/situations where you see people trying to get that pig tail sock?

I'd have to disagree with you, communities can and will make or break a game, however I quit shortly after for a variety of reasons, mainly being the break up of said team, some wanted to move to cyclone, others wanted to stay in rampage, (I couldnt afford at that time to move from rampage) With money getting tight, the team splitting up and the community starting to fall apart, I decided I wanted out.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4