Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: You know, I don't think the "MUST GET SOCK" syndrome is isolated to DF...  (Read 5017 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile

Communities in game can make or break a game. Not communities outside said game. Or at least I don't think so.

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Communities in game can make or break a game. Not communities outside said game. Or at least I don't think so.

If you don't get it read the spoilers below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile

I don't get it because I don't know which one to laugh at.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile

I don't think you're making the point you intended to, WingDing. It isn't the new player who asks silly questions that ruins online communities. Far from it. It's the elitist prick who posts a facepalm ASCII instead of simply correcting him. They are the scourge of gaming forums.

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't think you're making the point you intended to, WingDing. It isn't the new player who asks silly questions that ruins online communities. Far from it. It's the elitist prick who posts a facepalm ASCII instead of simply correcting him. They are the scourge of gaming forums.

The picture is there to be funny, it is only relevant to my first point that you need to be a subscriber to post on the forums, which lead to my second point that anyone on the forums also plays the game (they can, however, not play the game and just post on the forums but that would be pretty sad considering they're paying money to do it) and thus the 'outside' community is actually just a small sample of the 'inside' community and your argument regarding the 'outside' community not being able to spoil the game is invalid as the 'outside' forum-goers could very well be 'inside' players.

Make no mistake, I do not dislike newbies nor do I encourage the behaviour displayed in the image I posted, it was merely meant to be a humourous image to make you laugh/roll your eyes. In fact, I enjoy new players as I find helping people overcome their difficulties rewarding and enjoy fresh opinions and superstitions regarding the games we play.

Summary

Disclaimer: No malicious intent was used in the making of this post.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, these forums have a hefty amount of elitism to them, it's just more passive, and far less frothing at the mouth. Still, to quit a game based on a game's forums is kind of silly.

WoW is a pretty astonishing game, considering what is has accomplished. But it in no way should be compared to this game. It's not even apples and oranges. It's apples and like...well, apples and pig tail socks.

This is not what thread was about. I only named the game so people would have a reference point. Let's nip the comparing and inevitable flame way in the bud, shall we?

Any other games/situations where you see people trying to get that pig tail sock?

Yes, Diablo 2. If you die (not in hardcore mod ofc) then you also need to do corpse hunting to gain back some gold (pretty useless) and some xp (likely way more dangerous to run around naked and dying multiple times loosing xp every time, then the reward of getting back some xp from your first death, unless you have a really high level).
I've seen "newbs" run for there corpse a zillion times, never giving up, never really having a chance to get their corpse back, instead of exiting and rejoining. (you can pick up your corpse then, without gaining back the gold and xp you lost ofc)

That pic is awesome btw, do you think its set up? (too perfect?)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:12:30 am by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile

It isn't the new player who asks silly questions that ruins online communities.
Is a level 35 character still a newbie? Regardless, someone who has been playing for 5 months should know a bit of background information.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile

Also when you die in Diablo 2 you leave all equipped items on your corpse.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Hackenslacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is a level 35 character still a newbie? Regardless, someone who has been playing for 5 months should know a bit of background information.
Anyone below level 70 is a newbie. Any level 70 without full epics is also a newbie.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile

That had to be downright the most awesome text-art I've ever seen.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone below level 70 is a newbie. Any level 70 without full epics is also a newbie.

Welcome to reason number 2 why I hate MMORPGs.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Grabbing as much loot before an inevitable death is fairly common and actualy makes sense with wow's respawning mechanic. Myself i have a lvl 70 warrior, a long since retired lvl 60 druid(mainly because as the guild flasker(when they were stil useful) i spent more time in Frostwhisper's room in Scholomance then anywhere else)

One thing that annoys me greatly is that people are apparently incapable of understanding that they shouldn't stand near other people when they have a debuff that makes them damage others.

Example:
Idiot X gets BA debuff(you splode for 5k after 10 sec) when fighting Vael(40 man raid boss in blackwing lair).
Everybody in raid: Move away from us you moron, move, move move!
Idiot: decurse plz
Vaelastraz The Corrupt: Forgive me, <name>, your death only adds to my failure.
(the speech that he gives everytime somebody dies)
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh Vael, how I miss thee.

I know fully how that experience was. Over. And over. And over again.

WingDing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That pic is awesome btw, do you think its set up? (too perfect?)

No, back when I took that pic posting facepalm ASCII to anything even remotely worthy of it was the norm. He could have been a troll given how many of them reside on the WoW forums but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, trolls are usually less funny than that.

If you mostly solo and run instances with pick up groups you could very well be considered a newb by level 60.

What's reason number one? :)

I remember watching a video of a paladin intentionally getting the debuff and then shield-hearthing to the Iron Forge Inn. Guess what happened.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What's reason number one? :)

The money.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4