Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do traps misfire?  (Read 1933 times)

Psiclops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do traps misfire?
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:46:43 pm »

I keep getting messages that my dwarves are getting killed by traps, and they are in my own fortress. What is causing them to trip the traps, and how can I prevent it? I hate that my legendary hammer lords can just get one shotted out of nowhere.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: Do traps misfire?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 04:55:56 pm »

I keep getting messages that my dwarves are getting killed by traps, and they are in my own fortress. What is causing them to trip the traps, and how can I prevent it? I hate that my legendary hammer lords can just get one shotted out of nowhere.

If dwarves fall asleep on a trapped square, it fires. :(

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:37:29 pm »

Make sure there are enough beds for all your dorfs! Do this now! Even if you have to line 'em up in a hallway!

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 05:43:50 pm »

No, trap your nobles in a room filled with cage traps.

Psiclops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:04:05 pm »

Well it is no longer urgent, but I will remember this advice for my next fort.

I made a major mistake in my defense when I torn down a wall without ensuring it was the right idea. I was so secure in my siege defense coming through the one section I "knew" they would attack that I didn't have any chance to stop them when they raged through the unprotected area.

They only killed about 20 of my 190 dwarfs, but about 20 dogs as well. The resulting self pity party afterwards claimed another 90 lives to tantrums, insanity and various melancholies since my dwarves spent about half their time partying, they ALL knew each other closely. I abandoned after most of my military was taken out by raving lunatics.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:05:22 pm »

No, trap your nobles in a room filled with cage traps.

I have got to do this.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 04:07:49 pm »

Question: do dwarves caught in traps still need food/booze/sleep? If not, is this a way to ensure your fortress will never crumble (have 1 dwarf in a cage, if all other dwarves die, wait for migration wave)?

Yeah, boring, whatever... I'm just curious if it's plausible.