Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Challenge Fortress  (Read 2590 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
My Challenge Fortress
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:19:30 pm »

I am going to build an all above ground fortress. Only exceptions will be underground farm and mine. I will try to strip mine as much as possible (via channeling) to go for a more realistic effect. I am limited to bringing one pick, no metal or stone, no anvil, 4 or less axes, one dwarf with level 2 mining, anything else (but stated) is permitted. No masonry, stone crafting, armor smithing, weapon smithing, or metal crafting skill points may be given in embark screen.

I found my starting position! It is a 6x6 with a fork in the river with most all of it Heavy Forest and 3 squares of grassland. It has an aquifer and some sand too. It will be a challenge, but lots of fun.

Please post thoughts/suggestions. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:24:50 pm by magikarcher »

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Challenge Fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:46:40 pm »

I'm doing something similar but not so restrictive. I allow stone for: mechanisms, swords (Obsidian), mill stones, pavement.  90% of my buildings are above ground.  Exceptions currently include farm squares, a drinking hole into an under water stream, and the prison.  Why the prison? I like the idea that it's underground while everyone else is above.  Also I will not compromise my metal works.  There is a magma pipe near by and I plan on using it.

Every building is made of wood when allowed.  Every workshop but magma based ones will be above ground.  Maybe even magma ones will be if I get creative.  Every wall/floor is made of wood.  Every good is made of bone or wood.

I am thinking about adding a panic shelter underground for sieges.  I'll only do it if I find I have to in order to keep civilian casualties low during sieges.  I am also leaving 4 entrances open on the fort. I have no way to perfectly seal them off, though I do have guards posted.  I am not using any traps, though that may be an idea for a panic shelter. 

I plan on fully supporting the nobility, once they arrive.

..this should be fun
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:48:15 pm by Brian »

Tuv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:48:12 pm »

I always considered a "challenge" as... building aboveground, with nothing but wood, and using nothing but fish for food, from a river filled with Zombie Carp... as well as limiting trade to nothing but food/wood from elves, bought only with your wooden/fishbone crafts... y'know thats a great idea... ill get right on that.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:00:50 pm »

I am allowed to use stone, its just not easy at the start. I can get any items after the start pretty much. Oh and my miner just drowned in the aquifer.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:06:36 am »

For added bonus you can build a sparta like town and remove your wall, relying only apon a wall of men.

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:47:27 am »

Hey, noone can have a sparta reference without a completely historically inaccurate stereotype of the 300 movie (which I actually would have enjoyed more if I hadn't just completed a unit on historical Greece)!

Make sure you build a massive well in your barracks to that people fall in while sparring/trading/bringing messages about you constantly kicking people into wells etc.

Oh and make sure that you build a nice wall of bodies. You can't be a spartan without a wall of bodies.

And don't forget to completely ignore the nice, standing fortress behind you and charge out to the 20 million persians (goblins or elves, or both) with only 300 troops.

While you're at it you may as well forget about including any reference to the ENTIRE ALLIED ARMY that supported you in the battle against the 20 million persians, I mean, who wants to hear about the valiance and courage of other people when it's so cool and 1337 to say you beat the persians with 300 men.

What? Oh, sorry. I seem to have wandered.

Disclaimer:
I'm not claiming to know loads about the battle, I just happen to have certain pieces of information that people ignore when considering how realistic the movie was. For example the spartan and allied forces didnt actually make a huge stand outside on a narrow ledge piling up like retards for pills. They use only a small amount of troops and fought off each of the persian skirmishes, then they would rotate troops back into the old fortifications behind them and let the wounded heal, then repeat everything so that they normally had fresh troops for each skirmish.

Also, there weren't 20 million persians, for anyone who's trying to nitpick. I was being sarcastic. As usual. Or was I?

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 07:51:15 am »

I am also trying to build an above ground fort, making sure that nothing, not even farms or mining and go underground.  Mining will be done via channels and farming will be the seeds I gather from herbs.  I admit I did acidently (well not realy acidently but lets just say it was) send a dwarf underground once to dig a hole into a lake to begin my irgation, and so I made sure to fix my mistake by buring that dwarf in a cave in.  If he wants to stay underground so much, then by god he will stay underground.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 01:04:42 pm »

For added bonus you can build a sparta like town and remove your wall, relying only apon a wall of men.

I'm afraid you can't have a sparta town at this juncture.  It was said that their women never heard the drums of the enemy, so you have to be so awesome as to prevent goblins from ever reaching your map, which in this version doesn't work.  Then again, the goblins don't use drums...

However, you can train them up with bronze armor, and spears, set the child age to 5 so they start training at six, and any migrants become helot slaves.

And then be destroyed by the romans...

On a different note:  Good luck!
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 05:51:07 pm »

Hey, noone can have a sparta reference without a completely historically inaccurate stereotype of the 300 movie (which I actually would have enjoyed more if I hadn't just completed a unit on historical Greece)!

300 is a movie based on a comic book. Not the battle of Thermopylae...

((Yes, the comic itself is indeed a fictional work of Frank Miller about the battle of Thermopylae, but its a comic book, so the fictional part is pretty obvious.))

Thus I could enjoy the movie without throwing history books at my screen... as its based on a comic book. It was never intended to be historical accurate... This makes it easy to make silly references on 300 as its based on a comic book for me. Many others also know this... so the "noone" is a bit stretching it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 06:19:38 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 07:05:27 pm »

Not to mention that the 20 million Persians army is also BS. Current estimates say that they were at most one hundred thousand, perhaps even less.. The origin of that tale is in Greek historians hyping the numbers massively for higher bragging rights.  You see, Greek and Roman history was not as much a science as "yellow   press with lag". They used a somewhat real frame, but they used whatever facts they could concoct that supported the people they liked (for instance, to justify Claudius´s execution of Messalina, the post-hoc "truth" is that Messalina was screwing half of Rome, and held endurance competitions with prostitutes)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:42:42 pm »

The comic book is based on a heroic rendition of the battle, similar to what was told about the battle in the era to when it was actually fought.

In other words, the Greeks loved to dramatize everything. I'm quite sure the real Spartans would have approved of Frank Miller's 300 as well.  ;D

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 10:57:45 pm »

Has anyone realy ever tried to meet all the demands of the nobles...?
Like, kept the same noble the entire game, keeping him happy?
that might be a suitable challenge...
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 01:14:34 am »

300 is a movie based on a comic book. Not the battle of Thermopylae...

((Yes, the comic itself is indeed a fictional work of Frank Miller about the battle of Thermopylae, but its a comic book, so the fictional part is pretty obvious.))

Thus I could enjoy the movie without throwing history books at my screen... as its based on a comic book. It was never intended to be historical accurate... This makes it easy to make silly references on 300 as its based on a comic book for me. Many others also know this... so the "noone" is a bit stretching it.

Sorry, I forget the [/sarcasm] at the end of my post. I won't forget next time.

Not to mention that the 20 million Persians army is also BS. Current estimates say that they were at most one hundred thousand, perhaps even less.. The origin of that tale is in Greek historians hyping the numbers massively for higher bragging rights.  You see, Greek and Roman history was not as much a science as "yellow   press with lag". They used a somewhat real frame, but they used whatever facts they could concoct that supported the people they liked (for instance, to justify Claudius´s execution of Messalina, the post-hoc "truth" is that Messalina was screwing half of Rome, and held endurance competitions with prostitutes)

*cough

Disclaimer:
<snip>

Also, there weren't 20 million persians, for anyone who's trying to nitpick. I was being sarcastic. As usual. Or was I?

Has anyone realy ever tried to meet all the demands of the nobles...?
Like, kept the same noble the entire game, keeping him happy?
that might be a suitable challenge...

I generally try and keep them as happy as possible, but every now and then you will get a anoble with a completely unreasonable request like 8 adamantine statues, and that sorta screws it.