Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your favorite traps.  (Read 10994 times)

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite traps.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 09:08:56 am »

That one is pretty tidy, I'd be tempted (If I had access to bauxite) to make hatch covers on the floor above a room by my magma smelter. Then I can drop the iron stuff into there and designate it for melting.

I like rooms filled with upright spike traps, each on with either one copper spear or one glass spike. Set the middle tile as a pressure plate that simultaneously closes the room and activates the spikes and watch everyone slowly die. Very slowly...
I also like having a hatch cover in a room I can wash things through using water pressure, it's handy for tidying. In the next z-level down put a three by three room with all the floors as gratings and make it possible to get in. (As an added bonus, in the next z level down you can start a tree farm if you have breached a cave river). The only problem is any heavy things wont get washed away.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 09:59:24 am »

I like glass traps and ice encasing traps. Does ice destroy glass traps btw?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 12:27:28 pm »

I don't think ice encasement applies to buildings--just dig them out and they'll be fine. I'm not sure about that, though.

There's already a design for a trap that uses ice. It's called the degrinchinator, and you can find a movie of it here. I've envisioned several improvements, especially allowing it to fire multiple times, but even the basic design is frighteningly effective. One of these days I'll get myself started on a freezing aquifer map and experiment with this...
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 12:41:40 pm »

I've always had an idea I wanted to try out.  First, a large amount of water under pressure flushes the goblins into a channel with grates for the floor.  The water drains through the grates, leaving the goblins trapped, but alive.  Second, a line of hatch covers directly above this empties magma right on top of the goblin's heads.  The magma sets them on fire, leaving behind only their pitiful iron gear for melting.  The magma then falls through the grates and on top of the water, creating obsidian.  If you have a big enough room under there, you would have a field of muddy stone, divided by a line of obsidian.

Goblin-killing, trash (narrow silk sock) disposal, iron retention, tree-farming, and obsidian farming all at once?  Sheer awsomeness.

Ingrediants: an infinite water source, a magma pipe, magma-proof stone for grates, hatch covers, and mechanisms, underground water discovered (for tree-farming), and plenty of mechanisms.

Note: Don't use while dwarves are getting the iron gear. Wait for fire to burn out before getting iron gear.  If water level in your tree farm gets to high, add drain.  If you experience large amounts of pleasure at seeing sentient beings burn to death, see your doctor immediately.  Keep out of reach of children.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 12:45:15 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 01:08:20 pm »

I don't think ice encasement applies to buildings--just dig them out and they'll be fine. I'm not sure about that, though.

There's already a design for a trap that uses ice. It's called the degrinchinator, and you can find a movie of it here. I've envisioned several improvements, especially allowing it to fire multiple times, but even the basic design is frighteningly effective. One of these days I'll get myself started on a freezing aquifer map and experiment with this...

I love that movie, it looks to work so perfectly although you have to dig out the ice (wich will not contain whatever got killed and its items?) to ready for the next ambush.
I currently am on a small freezing map with lots of magma (one magma pool, one magma pipe) and an aquifer, i'm thinking about creating a system wich (although not nearly as beautiful as the degrinchinator) will drop water (i assume the warm wall tiles will unfreeze ice) wich then will imidiatly freeze over anything beneath it. Or the other way around, namely fill a coridor with walkable water (3 or so height) with beneath it magma wich at the swich of a lever drops one level beneath it so that the water above it freezes. (and then via self automated pumps will pump the magma back up so that the ice unfreezes again, wich will, if it at all worked in the first place, result in too much water though, wich migh be automatically dealt with via a pressure plate). Unnecesary complicated, i love it. (I hope it actually works, lol)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 02:57:48 pm »

What we really need is a strange map where it freezes in one part, but not the rest of the map. Perhaps through extreme World Gen tweaking?
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 06:49:50 pm »

I believe you can get that just from a biome-border.  I've encountered one where ponds only seemed to freeze in one area.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.
Pages: 1 [2]