Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your favorite traps.  (Read 10878 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Your favorite traps.
« on: July 28, 2008, 01:25:50 pm »

My favorite trap is the drowning chamber (I know I lack creativity  :-X) it's awesome seeing those miserable goblins drown as they try find and exit out of the closed chamber.

Post favorite traps/death chambers so we can and discus some funny moments...

~Pie

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite traps.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:33:15 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-617-deathtrap

This is my favorite. Boy do I miss extreme cliff drops.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 01:39:14 pm »

I'm all kinds of boring, but I'm not one for anything ridiculously overengineered. I'm a big fan of a hallway full of glass discs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 02:17:43 pm »

pressure plate driven splattifiers.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 03:18:17 pm »

Flood traps, ie large resevoirs of water held behind floodgates. When invaders walked past i pretend im treebeard and shout RELEASE THE RIVER! and they all get washed into cliff/death chamber/pit/arena

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 04:04:49 pm »

Weapons traps filled with bludgeoning weapons in high places along balancing beams (literally 40+ z-levels above the ground, requires good mountainous terrain).  When the goblins reach the bottom, they literally explode.

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:00:08 pm »

I'm partial to the good ol' wave-of-magma-in-sealed-entryway trap. There's nothing quite as satisfying as watching the gobbos run around an increasingly smaller area until they trip over each other and fall into the magma, releasing a cloud of smoke and cleaning up all those useless narrow silk socks simultaneously.

Also, chained megabeasts at entrances / megabeasts uncaged in the midst of enemies.
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 05:15:18 pm »

retractable spikes attached to a lever, also lets you impale the occasional pet cat if you are paying attention.

My second favorite trap is 30 war dogs in one cage attached to a lever.  It's a pain to reload, but sheer joy to unleash.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 05:35:33 pm »

Man, that's the first time I've ever heard of someone literally unleashing the Dogs of War.

I'm imagining all these things on the same fortress: A narrow bridge over a high chasm, then the trap filled with 10 iron mauls comes out and starts whirling away sending gobbos spinning into the abyss right and left. Any that make it past that crawl through a cave only to have it slam shut and fill with water. They fare better than the people who took the other tunnel which is full of magma. Then a mine field of spike traps with a noble dwarf just sitting like an idiot and toggling the traps. Once they're near the walls to the keep, the cage of dogs flies open, slavering jaws tearing away arms and throats. Anyone manage to escape the dogs and breach the outer walls has a DRAGON to face! Not many gobbos would be able to get past that, but if they do, they'd find they can't get in the main fortress anyway, as the drawbridge is up.

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 06:01:42 pm »

My second favorite trap is 30 war dogs in one cage attached to a lever.  It's a pain to reload, but sheer joy to unleash.

I want to do this with my cat cage. Not to kill goblins, but more for the comedy value of goblins chasing cats all over the map. The scattering effect might help me after the cats are dead.

Animals in a cage can't be attacked, right?

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 05:34:44 am »

You can't even drown animals in a cage. They're safe as long as the cage is.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 06:47:05 am »

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

im so gonna steal this and but into my sig

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 07:07:42 am »

Cool traps guys, I was thinking of trapping my enemies/PoWs in a cage and then breaking it trapping them in the alternate dimension forever... (see below for more info)

You can't even drown animals in a cage. They're safe as long as the cage is.

A cage is like a portal to an alternate dimension, but you can only exit it from the where you entered (IE if Goblin McPrisonerGuy entered through Cage A he can only exit through Cage A but if its destroyed he is taped in the alternate dimension forever)

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 08:21:23 am »

A long 2 tile wide room with hatches instead of floors. Each hatch being hooked up to the same pressure plate, and that pressure plate being at the end of the hallway.  The hallway in question must be situated right above my arena, where I toss unwanted immigrants, kittens, and anything nasty I catch in cage traps. The few goblins that actually make it past the hall will immediately be caught in a cage trap. Oh, and there needs to be a lever connecting to all the hatches as a reset button.

No, I haven't tried it. I just thought it up. But, none of my forts are ever underground or even carved into a mountain, so not likely I'll ever be able to do it without a good bit of effort.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 08:58:22 am »

I like a long hallway with two raising bridges two apart from one another and 10 long.  The trap is sprung by gobbos crossing the pressure plates just in front of the first bridge.  They get caught before they can reach the end of the second.  The bridges rise, causing all the goblins on them to tumble into the narrow space between them.  Then, sluices at both ends of the hallway open, causing white-hot, spitting, bubbling magma to rush through the gap.  Eventually, the sluices are closed, and the bridges let down.  The only thing that remains is a little line of iron things.
Pages: [1] 2