Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: Third party interfaces and "Losing control of the project"  (Read 134825 times)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Third party interfaces and "Losing control of the project"
« Reply #270 on: August 01, 2008, 03:05:50 pm »

Cracks are quite a bit different than a mod to a game.  Sorry, but that's a poor... poor example.  And I'd argue that the recent crap with developers trying to prevent these kinds of hacks has actually encouraged normal people to seek out the hacks in order to alleviate the headaches caused by the developer's anti-piracy measures (long keys, constantly swapping CDs, self-infecting PCs with rootkits, etc.)

Which proves my point, why bother discussing good/bad hacking when the Internet is going to do whatever the hell it wants anyway?

But I guess this is going to turn into a debate about whether or not debating good/bad hacking is worthwhile. :(

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 01, 2008, 03:28:57 pm »

But I guess this is going to turn into a debate about whether or not debating good/bad hacking is worthwhile. :(

We should debate this turn of events.

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 01, 2008, 03:39:55 pm »

We should debate this turn of events.
Even more because big gaming companies usually can stand something putting a small dent on their sales. Toady doesn't have nearly as much leeway in this situation.
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 01, 2008, 03:49:57 pm »

I think this whole issue has been blown out of proportion. Saying that the interface is a main driving factor for the departure of a large % of new players is wholy ignorant of what Dwarf Fortress has come to represent.

This game in it's whole represents a fortress ( ahah irony) against the growing casual market and a citadel of hope for the crashing hardcore game development. I have come to love difficult games, and I oft to stick to them much more when I am stuck than other easier games. And the idea that DF needs an interface change to help increase player base - when the current base is strong - and grows slowly and stabily.

Basically, If you want a game were things are easy to see and understand however are less rewarding in the long run, DF isn't your game. If the Interface is such a hot topic, were is the legion of people complaining about the graphics? Tilesets are just an attempt to cover over the basic graphics right?

Because Everyone here loves the graphics - ASCII or loves the Tilesets. Or Finds the gameplay strong enough to overpower the weakness some see in it.

The interface... I mean come on, if any of you here are longer term players you would not be complaining, as I see no current problem with it. I have easily memorized the macros, and I only use the large map as the start to figure out fortress location - otherwise the interface has done nothing but be simple and useful - effectively built to serve it's purpose.

In fact, the interface is probably the main factor in saving us from the flood of casual gamer takeover - or dumbing down. The minute every person who doesn't like the hard learning curve the game is known for sees that the older interface which contains it's own learning curve has been dumbed down for the masses, what is stopping them asking for the game play to be more simplified at the start to provide for an easier game entrance.

Don't pressure Toady for this, he has always made the best decisions when it comes to his game, which he graciously provides to us for free. He works slowly - steadily and effectively. He chooses to follow our suggestions at his own whim, and for us to demand him to change gears completely to focus on a less important factor ( unless interface overrides gameplay ) when he focuses on what drives most of us to play ( Gameplay and Complexity ).

It is completely true in this case, that the "silent majority" who doesn't complain, who supports via small suggestions and bug reports (pays there taxes), and donates without fan fair, easily tops the loud minority in this forum.

If you dislike the game's interface, that is fine, however do not pressure Toady to change it, in a method that will encourage speed and easy-use over stability and support. I dislike many things. I wish there was more fluid dynamics and I think the environmental life dynamics could be updated, however I remain quiet. Toady ultimately has to code, and ultimately so far, from what I think we all have seen, since we are here, he has done a damn fine job of it.

Screw interfaces if it causes such pain for Toady. He is not a slave, He is not your personal toy. He is a human being which devotes his life to provide us a product, rarely given. Look at Will Wright's Spore, and how far it has been simplified to fit into the more casual market- which disgusts the hardcore gamer in me.  The minute Toady begins making things easier and less complex -thus less rewarding to master and use, is the minute, we will lose the hardcore -donating- stable base, and start gaining the less stable larger more vocal casual base.

Don't demand, Ask. Don't scream, be reasonable. And most of all - Trust Toady.

The minute we begin saying something is to hard for us to handle, is the minute we need to question if DF is the game for us. I want Quality over Quanity. If it takes Toady two years to produce a viable and stable interface that pleases all, then so be it, because I know, that time will be spent wisely and usefully, not unrationaly and broken like the masses demand.

This is not a discussion over good hacking versus bad hacking, it is a discussion over trusting toady or becoming greedy.

Donate if you can, Play when you want, and Be supportive.

Or Shut up and leave.

Toady is like the vast herd of buffalo that went extinct because extreme demand and the lack of control of said demand. Think before you speak (or Type) and remember what DF is. A game for the Gamers who cherish difficulty and reward, in which Losing is Fun.

Not a game were you can jump in for 4 minutes and accomplish alot, but a game were you can jump in for 4 minutes get absorbed and spend 4 hours in it.

Long live Hardcore DF and the Toady that runs it!

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 01, 2008, 03:55:57 pm »

I give up.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 01, 2008, 04:00:53 pm »

" I think this whole issue has been blown out of proportion. Saying that the interface is a main driving factor for the departure of a large % of new players is wholy ignorant of what Dwarf Fortress has come to represent."

Oh?

"(and given how much the current interface sucks, and how much it is a source of first time downloaders dropping the game, this is not only imaginable, it is very, very likely)"

That quote is from Toady himself. From this topic. Just a few pages ago.

Think, then post. And for the love of god, amount of words <<<<<<<<<<<<<< quality of said words.

I'm with dreiche2 on this one.

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 01, 2008, 06:32:01 pm »

Quote from: Zironic
The interface... I mean come on, if any of you here are longer term players you would not be complaining, as I see no current problem with it.
I have two main problems with your post. First off you assume that since we're suggesting a possibility for an improved interface that we must have complaints with it. Second you assume that we aren't long term players. I don't know about the OP, but I started playing this game about a month or two after it went public.

In fact, the interface is probably the main factor in saving us from the flood of casual gamer takeover - or dumbing down.
In this regard I would somewhat agree. Only somewhat because the term casual gamer is a bit vague. To me casual gamer would imply someone who only plays games occasionally and perhaps doesn't have a system built for gaming. But when it comes to DF, you don't need a system built for gaming. Just a decent processor with a decent amount of memory. A low-to-mid range system from Dell would work just fine (most systems from Dell have Core 2 Duos and thus are great for DF).

Don't demand, Ask. Don't scream, be reasonable.
Here is where I really have a problem with your post. You assume that those making suggestions are demanding and/or screaming. In fact, as far as I've noticed, those doing the demands and screaming are those against third-party interfaces and/or interface changes in general. They demand in the sense that they're telling us to stop making suggestions for a new interface and they're screaming in the sense that they continuously repeat their demands over and over. As an example, I'll quote what you have said in the same post.

Donate if you can, Play when you want, and Be supportive.

Or Shut up and leave.
How many people would tell someone to shut up and get lost in a non-demanding way? How many of those people may or may not say it in a way that could be defined as screaming?

Frankly I don't see why people insist on telling us to stop asking Toady for a new interface and/or third-party interface support. Like Toady himself said earlier, with the level of hacks some people are achieving, a third-party interface is likely to happen a some point whether he supports it or not.

Like he said, he doesn't really want to go down the route of third-party interfaces. So if he doesn't want to, he doesn't have to. Its his decision. But last I knew he didn't have any problems with us offering suggestions. Thus if he doesn't have a problem, why do you?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:35:43 pm by Frobozz »

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 01, 2008, 06:45:47 pm »

Just a friendly reminder. "being chill" is also negated by the following:
- Arguments for arguments sake
- Destroying the context of other people posts by snipping it to bits
- Raising controversy over the form and function of what people say, rather than the intended meaning.

There are several valid lines of conversation in this topic. But lumping them all together in here tangles them up into a useless mess. For topics relating to ethics and not existing DF content, new posts should be made to separate the issues. Those discussing ways to improve the game should migrate to the suggestions forum.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #278 on: August 01, 2008, 06:57:01 pm »

I'm curious. Suppose Toady were to open up the output and input from DWAAARF FORTRESS so that various persons could create new systems for viewing the game, assigning jobs, checking stocks, and all manner of DF-ey stuff. Even if one, particular 'front end' became massively popular, how would he lose control? I mean, he wouldn't have to bow to the wishes of the populace for any reason... He can do whatever he wants and we die-hard fortressers would still play and donate. Unless, of course, he turned the game into a static JPEG of a pile of poo or something ridiculous. Just a little question I had.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 01, 2008, 07:21:03 pm »

I think people are forgetting one of the main reasons behind the issue.  DF is the Adams brothers baby...  On a purely sentimental level I can't blame them for not giving up any control of the project.

It's like spending years restoring a rare, classic car.....and letting someone else pick the paint job.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 01, 2008, 07:50:17 pm »

I swear I saw toady post what should have ended this entire debate 5 pages ago.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 01, 2008, 09:32:20 pm »

I think people are forgetting one of the main reasons behind the issue.  DF is the Adams brothers baby...  On a purely sentimental level I can't blame them for not giving up any control of the project.

It's like spending years restoring a rare, classic car.....and letting someone else pick the paint job.

No. More like restoring a rare, classic car, taking pictures of it, and getting mad when someone photoshops it a different color.

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 01, 2008, 09:42:29 pm »

Suppose Toady were to open up the output and input from DWAAARF FORTRESS so that various persons could create new systems for viewing the game, assigning jobs, checking stocks, and all manner of DF-ey stuff.
Hasn't he already? Last I looked, displaying stuff on the window was output and the keyboard/mouse was input. And last I looked people were already taking advantage of it. ::)

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 01, 2008, 09:47:02 pm »

I'm curious. Suppose Toady were to open up the output and input from DWAAARF FORTRESS so that various persons could create new systems for viewing the game, assigning jobs, checking stocks, and all manner of DF-ey stuff. Even if one, particular 'front end' became massively popular, how would he lose control? I mean, he wouldn't have to bow to the wishes of the populace for any reason... He can do whatever he wants and we die-hard fortressers would still play and donate. Unless, of course, he turned the game into a static JPEG of a pile of poo or something ridiculous. Just a little question I had.

I think (from what I understand of Toady's posts in this thread) that he will "lose control" because he will be pressured to support the front end in some way, as there would be increased demand from players on these forums. For example, whenever he breaks that front end with a new version, he is afraid he will be unable to ignore the flood of screaming and whining on the forums, and he will be forced to put aside the code he wants to work on in favor of adjusting DF to work better with the third-party interface. He's essentially going to be "forced" to do so by his own conscience and desire to please his playerbase, even if he is fully within his rights to ignore them.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 01, 2008, 10:14:56 pm »

He's essentially going to be "forced" to do so by his own conscience and desire to please his playerbase, even if he is fully within his rights to ignore them.

I didn't understand his thoughts behind this until I realized it already happened, albeit on a smaller scale. Quite a few people expressed shock that Regional Prospector didn't get updated for the latest DF version, and went back to playing the old one. A very bad thing for a game that runs on donations.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21