Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [39e] Opening multiple copies of DF  (Read 2639 times)

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[39e] Opening multiple copies of DF
« on: July 28, 2008, 03:45:41 pm »

Has this happened to anyone else, it's happened to me twice now. I double-click (or maybe accidentally triple click) the DF icon on my desktop and it opens about 8 or 10 copies of it, bringing my computer to a complete fucken crawl.

I managed to get to the taskbar after about 15 mins the first time, just reset it this time.

I don't know if it's a bug but it's never happened to me with anything else.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: [39e] Opening multiple copies of DF
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 05:38:58 pm »

And this is, as DF cannot control how many copies of it are run, not DF but your OS.
Or, for that matter, you.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:04:44 pm »

However, a program can detect if its already running (ussually a locked file if they don't feel like hitting the running processes list) and throw an error instead of running.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:05:46 pm »

This is actually on the bugs list and has been since, so far as I can tell, forever. (Bug #20, to be precise.)

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 07:31:20 pm »

If there is a bug in DF that is erroneously opening multiple copies on startup, then I wouldn't mind this getting fixed.  However, I really would be disappointed if multiple copies were always prevented from running simultaneously, even when I wanted them to do so.  So just to throw this out there, if the locked file or similar approach is indeed ever implemented, I hope there is an option to disable it.  I sometimes purposely have two DF windows open simultaneously and it would be mildly frustrating to lose that ability.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 07:35:41 pm »

I think the problem lies in that currently DF when running a world uses the \save\Current folder, and that two instances would....to say the least, cause problems.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 09:42:50 pm »

I think the problem lies in that currently DF when running a world uses the \save\Current folder, and that two instances would....to say the least, cause problems.

Then we can do these...

1) Have an option of allowing or restricting running more than one instance of DF
2) Each instance of DF will create its own sub-folder under \data\save\Current folder.

The effect is we have the option to run two copies of DF, each playing a different region...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:47:47 am »

you can just install it multiple times,
this will give you multiple current save directories and DF is fairly small compared to the world-directories.

Do use seperate shortcuts pointing to the different copies.
You must have a super system to run multiple big area/
population fortresses though.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link