Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 11087 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2008, 03:35:36 pm »

Iron Grip's music is really messed up, and so are the animations. The only other problem is that no one ever plays.
Shoes...

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2008, 04:03:01 pm »

Gragh.

Ignoring the above, some kind of MMORTS.

You're given a patch of floating land in the sky/space, you start to build a city on your patch of land, but space quickly runs out, so you pack some citizens into a colony ship and drop them off on a new patch of land, and they build a second city.

This goes on for awhile, untill you come across another civilisation, interested in the very piece of floating land you are.

So you draft a military, and attempt to sieze the island. A war breaks out, with battles taking place not only on that island, but with raids on established cities in an attempt to cut off enemy supplies.

However, the islands are deformed by war, explosions chip away at the already small mass, and eventually the land is too small and uninhabitable to bother fighting over.

The deformation encourages diplomacy, where players make agreements with each other to avoid completly decimating each other.

To balance out the "lets all share" mindset and encourage acquiring more land, the player's civilization is constantly growing in population, so you need to continue to grow to fit all the new citizens. Eventually, it will stop growing noticably once you have around 40 islands worth of people.

The only problem I can see is people getting attaked and defeated while they're logged off. A possible solution is giving players the ability to build expensive, high tier shield generators which activate for the island they are on once the player logs off.

As for actual gameplay, the main focus centers around four ship types:

Colonization Ships carry a group of twenty or so civilans and some resources.

Landing a colonization ship on an uninhabited part of an island will start a colony on that island. Each island starts off with only a bunker which people live in, and resources are localized to each island.

Trade Ships aren't directly controlled by the player, they determine which action will earn them the most profit, either through buying and selling goods, or transporting civilians. Trading Ships come into existence on their own, and the larger your cities are, the more ships which will base temselves there.

To get resources for building and expansion from your existing colonies to new ones, the most efficient way is to offer government incentives to trade ships, "Extra Bonuses" or tax cuts when certain goods go to certain places.

Military Ships have no weapons themselves, they serve as transports for infantry units, landing them down on potentially hostile territory in an attempt to sieze an area before colonization.

War Ships are ships build with the intention of fighting, some are better suited for taking on enemy ships, some are for taking out ground locations, and some provide misc. support, like radar jamming or EMP flashes.

...That had waaaaaay more detail than I intended. 
fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

Jeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2008, 05:59:02 pm »

I played a game quite similar to what you describe with floating islands etc... let me see if I can find it...
http://www.nicelycrafted.com/todc/index.html

And what I wish existed... Wizardry 9, Majesty 2, MoO3 (Not the giant turd it turned into)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2008, 06:42:52 pm »

I played a game quite similar to what you describe with floating islands etc... let me see if I can find it...
http://www.nicelycrafted.com/todc/index.html

And what I wish existed... Wizardry 9, Majesty 2, MoO3 (Not the giant turd it turned into)

Majesty 2. is in development...  :)

Jeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2008, 09:51:56 am »

Oh wow, it is actually going to come out now... last time I looked it had been dead for like 5 years o.O (well, under slow development with no publisher or hope of release ever)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2008, 10:49:06 am »

Or a hyper realistic RTS.
Seriously. If a tank is shot by another tank once (Or maybe twice if it is a modern vehicle) it will blow up! Have accuracy in an RTS for heaven's sake!

That began as a concession to programing limitations, but long outlived it's necessity.  Instead of modeling accuracy and portraying damage realisticly (i.e. unforgiving), dev's continue to use the same "every shot hits, and every unit can take this many hits" model employed in Dune 2, because that was all a computer could handle.  That model should have died with Total Annihilation, which still took the easy route.  We have balistic modeling now - there is no reason to continue to tie war simulations to an ancient and completely unrealistic Hit Point system.

I was irritated by this when I played Battlefield. You'd get in a tank, and if someone 'zooked you straight on from behind you were pretty much done. But hit from a bad angle and in a heavily armored side, you'd take less damage. But what got me irritated was the hit point system. Instead of tracking damage on Front, Back, Left, Right, Top, Under if just had HP.

I played tabletop Car Wars and it used this system. Very small vehicles like motorcycles could mount only front armor. And if you went through the armor, you'd damage weapons mounted on that side. Beyond that, there was a d6 roll to determine whether the continuing damage went through to the engine, the passenger compartment, or the cargo area.

But with a 3D model of a car you could have the engine armored on all sides, the passenger compartment armored, and the cargo compartment armored. This way, a shot that actually strikes the engine will damage engine armor and will definitely hit the engine if it blows through. A shot from straight ahead would hit front engine armor, then engine, then passenger compartment, etc. And while some vehicles have a little armor between the engine and the rest of the vehicle, a shot that hits the rear and blows through will pretty much just blast straight on through unhindered unless it catches on your cargo.

Then again, what am I thinking? Let's just give the vehicle object HP and call it a day. We have a deadline.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2008, 03:44:52 pm »

I played tabletop Car Wars and it used this system. Very small vehicles like motorcycles could mount only front armor. And if you went through the armor, you'd damage weapons mounted on that side. Beyond that, there was a d6 roll to determine whether the continuing damage went through to the engine, the passenger compartment, or the cargo area.

Stands to reason then that the only game ever to track damage from different angles on a vehicle was the old '80s Autowars adaptation.  Pretty fun little game, if impossible get started, and proof that technology was never the problem.  I can't even remember what that Road Warrior looking MMO is called, but I know it doesn't bother with anything that complicated.

Now there's a game I'd love to see.  A Car Wars MMO, done with all the detail of the old tabletop.  License it even - I've never understood how SJGames has managed to get on this long without ever licensing a product to a videogame developer.  (Except the one I mentioned, which was 20 years ago.)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2008, 04:22:53 pm »

Oh wow, it is actually going to come out now... last time I looked it had been dead for like 5 years o.O (well, under slow development with no publisher or hope of release ever)

Yeah, Im going to buy it for sure.  :)
..but to be honest what I really cant wait to buy is the Master of Magic "clone" what Stardock is developing...Sadly its only gonna be released in 1+ year. Stardock is my favourite developer company. Their support is amazing, just like their games.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2008, 04:51:04 pm »

I just found something completely awesome.

Empires.
A free mod for HL2.
It's exactly what I wanted.(Well, no aircraft YET)

You also build your own vehicles from complete scratch.
I.e: Choose your weapons, armor, engine and chassis.
You do a dumbed down version of that when choosing what infantry to be.
i.e: Choose class, weapon, secondary weapon, explosive,and skill(s)
http://www.empiresmod.com/
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2008, 05:09:10 pm »

System Shock III

(peddle none of your Bioshock spiritual successor mumbo-voodoo around here. I'm sooorry. babies need meat)

They actually are making a System Shock III... The problem is that you probably don't want to know who the developer is.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2008, 05:12:49 pm »

I just found something completely awesome.

Empires.
A free mod for HL2.
It's exactly what I wanted.(Well, no aircraft YET)

You also build your own vehicles from complete scratch.
I.e: Choose your weapons, armor, engine and chassis.
You do a dumbed down version of that when choosing what infantry to be.
i.e: Choose class, weapon, secondary weapon, explosive,and skill(s)
http://www.empiresmod.com/

Yeah, i play this mod quite often, or at least i used to until HL2 and its corrisponding mods started to give up hope on me, i had about 50+ FPS, i now only have 10... I DONT KNOW WHATS HAPPPEEEND! althought it might be that weird nVidea 'we'll burn all over your pc' problem

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2008, 06:32:13 pm »

I use NVidia and my HL2 mods run perfectly well, even the ever-so-finicky Insurgency Mod.
Shoes...

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2008, 06:42:43 pm »

Car Wars mmo would rock pretty hard. Then again, why not just do Fallout III the right way, and overlay the Car Wars vehicular systems on it. I see no problem with driving along in my Highwayman and being ambushed by a Mad Mad style biker gang.

Too bad FO3 looks like teh lose T_T
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2008, 06:46:14 pm »

They actually are making a System Shock III... The problem is that you probably don't want to know who the developer is.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2008, 04:05:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Didn't that turn into Dead Space?

IIRC the rumors about SS3 all mentioned it being the next project for the team behind the Godfather game. And they're currently working on Dead Space, a third-person console shooter/horror game apparently based on creative dismemberment. So my guess would be the SS3 project is long dead.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6