Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What will be your first costum world once the next relea  (Read 4583 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: What will be your first costum world once the next relea
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

This thread poses a philisophical question; why are harsh, adversarial settings so attractive?

I get it too.  I certainly can't wait to devise exciting new hellscapes for dwarf and mod-race alike to conquer.  But I've always wondered why strife is inherently interesting.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 05:25:00 pm »

A cold world. Not so much that it's impossible to live, but I'd love to be flanked by glaciers, and settle into the mountains.

A Dwarven haven, if you will, while everyone else fights to not freeze to death in their silly above ground homes.

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 05:46:00 pm »

A world with lots of terryfying glaciers (with aquifier, no less) - and I'll make a flourishing fortress on one of them using naught but a copper pick (that's right - no silly supplies like food or booze, just one copper pick) and a group of seven dwarven comedians (so that hilarity may ensue).

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

Terrifying volcanic wasteland. 1 Dwarf fortress with a buttload of steel vs. world.

quote:
Originally posted by Aqizzar:
<STRONG>This thread poses a philisophical question; why are harsh, adversarial settings so attractive?

I get it too.  I certainly can't wait to devise exciting new hellscapes for dwarf and mod-race alike to conquer.  But I've always wondered why strife is inherently interesting.</STRONG>

We play this game (hopefully) for fun. When actual lives are not at stake, which is more fun: Struggling to survive in a hellish wasteland with monsters attacking all the time, or running a perfect fortress where what few problems crop up get eliminated swiftly and without error?

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: Ubersoldat ]

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LordZabujca:
<STRONG>A world with lots of terryfying glaciers (with aquifier, no less) - and I'll make a flourishing fortress on one of them using naught but a copper pick (that's right - no silly supplies like food or booze, just one copper pick) and a group of seven dwarven comedians (so that hilarity may ensue).</STRONG>

You just created the recipe for the perfect sitcom

Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 12:54:00 am »

Is it possible to create individual maps? I want to play a 2x2 fortress with magma, river, underground lake, map-wide chasm, hematite, coke, trees, HFS, flux, sand, glacier, desert, woodland, badland, wasteland, swamp, hill, mountain, cliff, waterfall, ocean, river, lake, elven retreat, human city, goblin dark fortress, kobold cave, regular cave, terrifying, haunted, sinister, untamed wilds, wilderness, calm, joyous wilds, mirthful, and serene.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 01:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>Is it possible to create individual maps? I want to play a 2x2 fortress with magma, river, underground lake, map-wide chasm, hematite, coke, trees, HFS, flux, sand, glacier, desert, woodland, badland, wasteland, swamp, hill, mountain, cliff, waterfall, ocean, river, lake, elven retreat, human city, goblin dark fortress, kobold cave, regular cave, terrifying, haunted, sinister, untamed wilds, wilderness, calm, joyous wilds, mirthful, and serene.</STRONG>

I would go insane before my dwarves. Probably.

I'd have to go with the OP too: everything and lots of people.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 08:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>Is it possible to create individual maps? I want to play a 2x2 fortress with magma, river, underground lake, map-wide chasm, hematite, coke, trees, HFS, flux, sand, glacier, desert, woodland, badland, wasteland, swamp, hill, mountain, cliff, waterfall, ocean, river, lake, elven retreat, human city, goblin dark fortress, kobold cave, regular cave, terrifying, haunted, sinister, untamed wilds, wilderness, calm, joyous wilds, mirthful, and serene.</STRONG>

Sorry but that feature is most likely going to come in 3 years D:

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Okenido:
<STRONG>

Sorry but that feature is most likely going to come in 3 years D:</STRONG>

Or, perhaps, a computer with the resources to run it will come in 3 years...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 09:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by SirPenguin:
<STRONG>

Or, perhaps, a computer with the resources to run it will come in 3 years...</STRONG>

Or the person who invents the computer capable of running that is born in three years.

I personally want to make lots of single mountains. I find its easier to get all the mountain features you want on a single region mountain tile. The only thing I have never found on those mesa's is magma. But with an unstable hellworld of magma, who knows?

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 09:02:00 am »

The first serious thing I'll make will be the precise (as possible) Middle-Earth map for my mod. I WANT it =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 09:05:00 am »

Yeah, being able to make specific landmasses and regions (of sorts) will allow for some pretty epic RPing. I can see entire DnD-esque topics spawning all over the place.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 11:12:00 am »

I'll probably make a map with massive amounts of swampland and volcanoes for my race of lorgons.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 11:30:00 am »

I'm looking just as much forward to keeping the same seed number but changing the parameters very slightly, say increasing sea level by a point, and seeing how much the world changes.
That, and designing worlds with parameters. See if I can make one whole continent by having oceans surrounding the whole world. Or set Vulcanism to max, temperature to minimum, add lots of moisture, and mess with the whole thing to create weird nigh-inhospitable worlds.

Toady One mentioned that special biomes might be needed to make realistic "superterrain" where the terrain is Io-an or Europa-an. Perhaps a world where the coldest parts are the poles, where the climate is much like our sahara, and on the equator, the stones begin to soften in the sun; the biome could be "semi-magmatic". a "magmatic" biome would be one where there is a surface ocean of lava. Ohh... a magmatic/glacier coastline would be incredible.

Other ultrabiomes... Regolithic- that is a cold, dry, airless area, lunar surface. Crystaline trees grow over millenia from the wastes, and unearthly, unliving creatures stalk the silent void. there is hardly any air as such gases condense to a liquid or even a solid in tiny puddles.

Semi-regolithic: a border area to places almost sane in terms of cold, where the odd flake of snow drifts on nearly dead winds perhaps once in a lifetime. Ice sculptures endure like the hardest stone.

Hydraulic: At this temperature, water is no different than any other mineral in the geologic cycle, and so mountains and structures do not erode via any process other than wind. This just barely is "Terran" as it could be what the surface of the south pole was like during the last ice age. There is still a minuscule amount of water vapor in the atmosphere, and clouds of ice might even form.

Glacial-
Temporate-
Desert-

Anhydraulic Desert- a currently forming new biome on earth's surface, the next step up from the hottest of current deserts. there can be no life as we know it- water is all but entirely vaporized here. at noon, paper will brown in a few minutes, and if you shine a mirror on it, it will fully combust.

semi-magmatic: most stones will be close to melting in these areas- there is no sand as such small particles stick together into new sandstone as they form. this is only rocky wasteland, and almost all organic materials will burst into flames instantly.

magmatic: almost all minerals will melt at surface pressure at this temperature.  There is only magma, and tiny outcroppings of those few resilient stones that can survive. There is not water in this environment- the heat causes such light gases to vaporise into space. This is where one might find Spirits of Fire lounging in the heat, crafting with the only few metals that survive the heat- steel and some specialized form of bronzes.

Well, how's that? That should be enough to model any earth-sized planetary body of any temperature. On both extremes, not only would one suffocate from lack of oxygen (in one the O2 is frozen, in the other oxidation is explosively rapid), but you would "burn" not only from heat but also from stellar radiation. These "climates" might be a little tough on your dwarves, seeing as an unprotected human would die in seconds.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Angellus

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Nukeitall:
<STRONG>DRAGONS AND MEGABEASTS

EVERYWHERE

TERRIFYING EVIL HELL WORLD

NOTHING LIVES</STRONG>

That, and a little corner of the world, untouched by all so that my little dwarves can live in peace  :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5