Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Lifevis - A realtime 3D interface for DF - Now with more Speed!  (Read 77136 times)

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf beautification project
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2008, 12:49:02 pm »

Greiger and anyone else with older graphics card or non-nvidia graphics cards: Can you please do these steps to help me understand a bit about your hardware?

1. download http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html
2. save data via the blue cylinder at the top
3. upload at drop.io

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2008, 12:21:02 am »

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2008, 06:55:02 am »

Interesting, thank you. Does the latest Lifevis version work for you at all?

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2008, 07:56:02 am »

No. Error Log:
Use of uninitialized value in subtraction (-) at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 834.
glDeleteQueries is not supported by this renderer at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 1759.

Upgraded drivers
DX 9.0c
DF 40.d

I presume it is my crappy graphics card playing up  :(

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2008, 10:22:25 am »

Yeah, i'm using some extra features and i'm trying to figure out how to determine which cards can use them. :)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2008, 11:08:21 am »

After using the correct version of VC Redistribution Pack you linked too at the bottom of the last page I now get the exact same error message as EchoP.

Also I have a recommendation for how to handle viewing of depth.  I see your currently using one 'plane' to slice through the world and render everything below that plane and that plane can be raised or lowered by the dragging a marker on a vertical 'depth' bar.

I propose you expand to what I call a 'slice' system which employs two planes of intersection with the world, a bottom and top plane which can move independently through the z levels with the sole restriction that they maintain the arrangement their names indicate (Top must remain greater then or equal to Bottom).  The levels the planes are set to and the space between them is referred to as the 'slice' and only that which is in the slice is rendered, if top and bottom planes are on the same z level then only that level will be rendered. 

UI wise this could take the form of two markers or arrows attached to the depth indicator currently present on the right hand side of the screen, each can be grabbed with the mouse and moved up or down to change the top and bottom slicing planes, a third marker generated in the halfway point between the first two would move the whole slice up and down without altering its thickness.

In addition to only rendering what falls in the slice the objects within receive a gray scale shading proportional to depth.  The top most z level in the slice is unshaded and the shading increases each level down and would theoretically reach full black one level bellow the bottom of the slice.  Because the shading is dynamically generated based on slice thickness the contrast between each adjacent layer can be heightened by narrowing the slice.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2008, 11:35:31 am »

New Lifevis version! v0.257

This time only small tweaks and a compatibility mode for all those with older graphics cards. :)

http://dwarvis.googlecode.com

Impaler: Thanks for the feedback. I'll add in something to catch these errors then and automatically open a download link for that.

As for the "bottom slice" idea: That sounds REALLY good. I'm tryign to keep the UI simple, as such i'll simply add 2 buttons with which the slice thickness can be changed. It starts off at -1 (inactive) and increases the slice thickness or decreases the slice thickness as the user sets it.

I don't really agree with the shading though, as high contrasts DO look bad. Trust me, i played around with that a good bit. Additionally, keeping the shading consistent will give the player better feedback on where he is, z-wise.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2008, 01:09:37 pm »

It works!  And well too!   I would fax you a double chocolate chip cookie if I had a fax machine!

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.  Using that other version gave me the same error as EchoP.

Anyway here's proof it works now!  I'm building an all surface fort.   Unfortunatly Its not old enough yet to have any spectacular constructions so heres a picture of a rock quarry.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Keep up the excellent work sir!  I'm think I'm beginning to like this more than 3Dwarf,  and 3Dwarf is awesome!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2008, 10:28:28 am »

Indeed the new version now works for me as well, I only notice one possible bug.  I set my keyboard commands such that insert and delete are z-up and z-down (its very easy to navigate with one hand with these commands close to the arrow keys).  Lifvis will intercept the insert/up command but not the delete/down.  I suspect this might be due to how the string buffer stores characters, delete might be removing characters rather then being entered as a character.  Its probably not serious enough to bother with because my key bindings are so unique.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2008, 02:21:26 pm »

Can't load 'C:/Documents and Settings/Asehujiko/Bureaublad/DF/lifevis/site/lib/auto/Coro/State/State.dll' for module Coro::State: load_file:De toepassing kan niet worden gestart omdat de configuratie van de toepassing onjuist is. Het opnieuw installeren van de toepassing kan dit probleem oplossen at C:/Documents and Settings/Asehujiko/Bureaublad/DF/lifevis/site/lib/XSLoader.pm line 70.
 at C:/Documents and Settings/Asehujiko/Bureaublad/DF/lifevis/site/lib/Coro/State.pm line 106
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Documents and Settings/Asehujiko/Bureaublad/DF/lifevis/site/lib/Coro/State.pm line 112.
Compilation failed in require at C:/Documents and Settings/Asehujiko/Bureaublad/DF/lifevis/site/lib/Coro.pm line 64.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Documents and Settings/Asehujiko/Bureaublad/DF/lifevis/site/lib/Coro.pm line 64.
Compilation failed in require at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 87.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 87.
Compilation failed in require at Lifevis\Launcher.pm line 19.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2008, 12:44:03 am »

Absolutely love this, and I'm eagerly looking forward to its future progress. :)

One bug that I did find during my play-around today: The window does not update unless it's on the primary monitor. When I move the window over to a different display, it stops refreshing, and even moving the cursor around in DF doesn't update it.

Keep up the brilliant work. This is an amazing project!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2008, 02:16:18 pm »

ok so v0.202 is still by FAR the fastest for me and that may have to do with the fact this one doesnt check for occlusion since all the ones afterwards run slow and they all check for occlusion if im correct. Is there anyway to turn off checking fo rocclusion so i can properly test this / make it run faster?
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Destroyer224

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2008, 04:34:09 pm »

I'm getting the same error as Asehujiko, except for the fact that mine is in English. It happens whenever I try to start the program and doesn't even get as far as loading the program itself.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 29, 2008, 02:58:28 am »

Can't load 'C:/Documents and Settings/Asehujiko/Bureaublad/DF/lifevis/site/lib/auto/Coro/State/State.dll' for module Coro::State: load_file:De toepassing kan niet worden gestart omdat de configuratie van de toepassing onjuist is. Het opnieuw installeren van de toepassing kan dit probleem oplossen at C:/Documents and Settings/Asehujiko/Bureaublad/DF/lifevis/site/lib/XSLoader.pm line 70.
 at C:/Documents and Settings/Asehujiko/Bureaublad/DF/lifevis/site/lib/Coro/State.pm line 106
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Documents and Settings/Asehujiko/Bureaublad/DF/lifevis/site/lib/Coro/State.pm line 112.
Compilation failed in require at C:/Documents and Settings/Asehujiko/Bureaublad/DF/lifevis/site/lib/Coro.pm line 64.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Documents and Settings/Asehujiko/Bureaublad/DF/lifevis/site/lib/Coro.pm line 64.
Compilation failed in require at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 87.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 87.
Compilation failed in require at Lifevis\Launcher.pm line 19.

me too.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2008, 03:07:34 am »

Greiger: Thanks for the update. It's good to know when something doesn't blow up. ^^

Impaler: Due to the way keypresses are transmitted they can sometimes end up as something different in DF as when input directly. So far I've only found out it's a localization problem and the only advice i can give is to remap the keys while using lifevis.

Moogie: Update your graphics card driver and then look for "multi-display support". Your problem is something that i cannot fix as it is a driver issue.

Asehujiko, Destroyer224, Jackrabbit: Two things, please try reading the last few pages of a thread before you ask questions, okay? =)

Secondly, download and install this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

Randominality: What you're talking about is not the occlusion, but the items. With v0.204 i introduced extraction and display of item data. I'm working on speeding that up more and if you really think you'd use it, i can make it an option. Occlusion IS an option already.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18