Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Lifevis - A realtime 3D interface for DF - Now with more Speed!  (Read 77074 times)

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf beautification project
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2008, 07:30:51 pm »

Toady, I don't know if and when you'll answer this, but if you have a look in: Why are there creatures with insane coordinates like 50k+? :o

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2008, 08:00:49 pm »

Some more updates to lifevis, only performance- and structure-related this time though. I've made the whole thing run in a much more parallelized form and also added options in the config file with which one can tweak the update speeds of location/creature/landscape data.

If any of you download and play around with this, please do give me some feedback on how it performs for you, what numbers you see on the left under Tasks and Creature-Tasks and what kind of computer you have.

Link: http://dwarvis.googlecode.com/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:36:44 am by Mithaldu »

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2008, 05:58:30 am »

Toady, I don't know if and when you'll answer this, but if you have a look in: Why are there creatures with insane coordinates like 50k+? :o

HFS Creatures? possibly they're stored off map, then moved on map as soon as you find them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2008, 07:29:33 am »

Yep so you heard it here first... They are stored... IN SPACE!!!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2008, 07:31:20 am »

Yep so you heard it here first... They are stored... IN SPACE!!!

Demons in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2008, 07:53:33 am »

That may be possible. Does someone have a map with undiscovered HSF and the exact location of it so i can test it? I just lost my miner while digging for a cluster of creatures i'd seen underground. Turns out it was an underground river with snakesmen and the lot into the side of which i had digged. :D

On the other hand, it really showed me how well landscape updates work. :)

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2008, 11:36:31 am »

According to the site finder, my current site (which I just now started on and haven't moved so much as a pebble) has undiscovered HFS.

Since you were so quick to help me out a minute ago, the least I could do is to return the favor.  What do I have to do?  Do I just upload the Region1 folder to the DFFD or something?

(Edit)  Okay, I'm in the process of finding the actual location of the HFS right now so that you don't have to spend an hour digging for it.  Then I'll revert to my backup save and upload that version of the Region1 folder and put it on the DFFD for you.  Expect it in, oh, I don't know, a half hour or so.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:58:31 am by Bromor Neckbeard »

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2008, 11:51:11 am »

Exactly, that's all i need. :)

Oh, and maybe a hint as to where the HFS is once you've found it. ;)

(And i'm glad to hear i was able to help on the other matter. :D)

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HFS uploaded
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2008, 12:29:05 pm »

Okay, here's a picture of where the HFS is.  The upper right corner of the cave that you see there is 15 spaces down from the top of the map and 68 spaces to the left of the extreme right side of the map, at z-15.  Of course, it extends above and below that, but z-15 is where I broke into it.

Here's the actual file.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=583

When you load the game, the cursor should pretty much be sitting on the exact place the HFS appeared when I searched for it a few minutes ago.  Hope this helps. ;D

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2008, 01:01:34 pm »

Perfect, thanks. :D

Checked it out and no, that's something else. Neither before nor after i broke through were the out-of-bounds exceptions triggered. However interestingly the creature count was 55 before, with only 21 in the unit list, and 97 afterwards with 50 in the unit list.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2008, 07:37:37 pm »

New version:

http://dwarvis.googlecode.com/

Did some refactoring so it looks like a real application now. Added some gui niceness which allows you to cut off slices at the top and added models for stairs as well.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:36:48 am by Mithaldu »

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2008, 10:29:49 pm »

New version:

http://dwarvis.googlecode.com/files/Lifevis_R179.rar

Did some refactoring so it looks like a real application now. Added some gui niceness which allows you to cut off slices at the top and added models for stairs as well.
Yeah, this doesn't work for me anymore. I tried an older version a couple of days ago which worked fine, but when I open this one, the window freezes, and the console prints the same 3 lines over and over again:
Use of uninitiated value at 403, 405 and initialization.

This also creates a problem with the error file, which is now 200 mb big after 20 seconds...  :D

It might just be my computer, but I would get some other people to look at it as well.

Edit:
Ah ok
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:01:52 pm by EchoP »

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2008, 10:57:03 pm »

Known issue. I'm afraid you'll have to get DF .40d. :)

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2008, 02:57:45 pm »

And a new version of Lifevis is done. :)

Changes:
- Something that quite a few people didn't seem to notice in the last update: Dragging on the grey bar with your mouse cuts off z-layers at the top so you can look underground or into buildings.
- Changed filename of Viewer.exe to Lifevis.exe since some people were running modelgen.exe and not getting that that's only a tool for model generation.
- Added error popups, haven't converted all error messages to use that yet though.
- Added online version checking. Everytime you start it, it'll download a small text file, compare it with its own version and tell you if i released a new one. You can switch this off in the config file.
- Changed parallelization updates, especially in regard to caches. Please tell me if the graphics behave oddly. Upsides should be more performance and better reaction to breaching of the memory limit.
- Added new preliminary dwarf model made by Emperor Bob on the DF forums.
- Added texture for smoothed stone and smoothed stone with minerals.
- Added preliminary building approximation. That means it checks the occupancy flags and then guesses at what building block could be in that tile. You should be able to recognize workshops now.
- Added models for fortifications and pillars.
- Added display ceiling locking. When you click on the lock icon in the upper right, the ceiling will be follow the location of the cursor ingame.
- Added differentiated rendering of Dwarves and other creatures.
- Removed display of dead creatures, which increases performance.

Download: http://dwarvis.googlecode.com/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:36:54 am by Mithaldu »

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2008, 02:21:39 am »

And a new version of Lifevis is done. :)
Sweet, I got it working this time...
However, all the dwarves are just tiny dots for me. If I get very close I can make out that they are dwarves, but from any distance they are undistinguishable. But good work on finding the dwarf and building positions  :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18