Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Lifevis - A realtime 3D interface for DF - Now with more Speed!  (Read 76613 times)

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf beautification project
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 01:10:57 pm »

added Z levels and colour visualization

Could you explain this?

Meaningmaking metal walls look metal, and wood walls look wood etc.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 01:57:59 pm »

Added Z levels means the ability to add more Z levels to a fortress over the default 31. Currently all structures are limited to 15 levels tall, unless the terrain is tall to begin with.

My projected starship fortress would need in the region of 140.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 03:00:02 pm »

My projected starship fortress would need in the region of 140.

I believe that qualifies as a:
HOLY F*CK!
Or maybe a:
JESUS CHRIST!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 08:21:23 pm »

Neither. Its MADNESS!  :D

According to my blueprint, the completed fortress would be 570 tiles long, 386 tiles wide (or 11.9 X 8.1 map tiles) and 79 levels high. Since I want to suspend it off the ground far into the air to imitate a hovering starship, that adds at least another 60 levels, including the default 15 layers of rock and soil.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 08:49:29 pm »

Maximum site size is 480x480 tiles, IIRC.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 11:53:58 pm »

Not even close, its 768. Each map tile is 48X48 fortress tiles. That means a 16x16 map has 12288 tiles per level.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 01:35:13 am »

D'oh!  I was thinking of the old 2D map size.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 02:47:17 am »

Tamren: This has nothing to do with changing dwarf fortress. This is about 3Dwarf.

Aside from that, work is progressing. I've cooked up a prototype viewer so i can directly fiddle around with stuff and will soon be improving the extraction routines. :)

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2008, 04:32:18 am »

Do you need anymore help?

I would love to see a new version of 3Dwarf! It's sooooo preetty...

I had noticed a few glitches with the way ramps were shown, notibly that a single row of ramps displays as a row of square pyramids. I think it would be better if it showed up as a toblerone shape, so we can do sloping roofs better...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 04:34:11 am by RickiusMaximus »
quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 04:41:00 am »

Actually, there is one thing people could still help with: Textures. :)
Right now the texture variation is pretty low and if people would make 256x256 textures matching the tile types in Toady's earlier post, that would help things out quite a bit. :)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2008, 07:06:12 pm »

Tamren: This has nothing to do with changing dwarf fortress. This is about 3Dwarf.

And talking about how we could build awesome things with DF then use 3dwarf to view them is offtopic how? Were going to have to change 3dwarf to keep up with a changing dwarf fortress anyway. And its already somewhat behind in the colour department.

Do you think it would be possible to have transparent or at least translucent clear blocks to represent windows? It would be neat if we could make them glow as well, to simulate lights.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2008, 09:34:16 pm »

Alright, the next step is done. As i mentioned before, i'm working on a viewer with which i can directly fiddle around, and it's now at a key point. As of now, i have a piece of code which pretty much emulates the visualize button ingame, only that it runs alongside in its own window and allows me to change how it displays stuff.

I've made a little demonstration here: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15926805CxaYtejA
If you click on the download link you can also download the full-size original video. Also note that i was a bit quiet and you may need to turn your sound up.

As usual, you can download the source via SVN from googlecode here: http://code.google.com/p/dwarvis/source/browse/trunk/lifevis

As it's getting late now, i'll delay assembling a package for now and maybe do that tomorrow if people are interested.

Also keep in mind that this is not a competitor to 3Dwarf and only meant as a tool to help me make better use of Toady's data.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:54:47 am by Mithaldu »

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2008, 04:49:58 am »

Nice!
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2008, 02:02:56 pm »

I agree with the guy with the spathi cypher.  Anyway, that video is a neat proof of concept.  Shows that at least some amount of realtime 3d viewer is somewhat possible, if a long way from complete.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2008, 02:45:39 pm »

I agree with the guy with the spathi cypher.
Huh?
Anyway, that video is a neat proof of concept.
Haha, it's a lot more than that. Right now it's mostly a question of fleshing it out. :) (Currently working on a toolchain to convert Wavefront objects to perl code, since making ramps by hand is fucking tedious.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 02:47:31 pm by Mithaldu »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18