Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: Lifevis - A realtime 3D interface for DF - Now with more Speed!  (Read 76602 times)

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lifevis - A realtime 3D interface for DF
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2012, 08:12:14 pm »

New version with bottom slicing, making it feasible to actually load the whole map: https://github.com/wchristian/lifevis/zipball/v0.258_003

Have some screenshots:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2012, 08:21:04 pm »

Firstly, I apologize for not re-reading the entire thread. If this question's already been answered somewhere, feel free to call me an idiot.

Linux support? Being written mostly in perl makes me hopeful, but a glance through the repo shows no Linux launcher script(s)...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2012, 08:33:55 pm »

Linux support is an extremely remote possibility, depending on a lot of extra development in DFHack, or some linux user manning up and sending me some pull requests on github.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 11, 2012, 09:10:04 pm »

DFhack has linux offsets, though.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 12, 2012, 02:43:11 am »

It's not about the offsets. The problem is that i have no idea how to access the memory space of other programs on Linux and lack the time to find out.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 14, 2012, 05:04:00 pm »

No new screenshots, or anything today, however, big news, Lifevis will now easily work with these Dwarf Fortress versions:

v0.34.07, v0.34.10, v0.34.11

You can download it here: https://github.com/wchristian/lifevis/zipball/v0.258_004

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2012, 05:43:36 pm »

No new screenshots, or anything today, however, big news, Lifevis will now easily work with these Dwarf Fortress versions:

v0.34.07, v0.34.10, v0.34.11

You can download it here: https://github.com/wchristian/lifevis/zipball/v0.258_004

Doesn't work for me.
Both Lifevis.exe and Lifevis-Console.exe instantly close.
The only line in the error log is:
read_file 'adresses/v0.34.07/version.lisp' - sysopen: No such file or directory at Lifevis/ProcessConnection.pm line 114.

But I am using DF v0.34.11 SDL.

The previous version you posted (v0.258_003) doesn't work either.

Edit: All subfolders in the "addresses" folder are empty in the versions you posted.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:51:52 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2012, 05:58:08 pm »

After I got the df-structures source from github and put it in EACH of the folders v0.34.07, v0.34.10 and v0.34.11 it worked!

So it seems that zipballs you posted were incomplete, they didn't include stuff linked from df-structures repo.
It explodes in gore!

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2012, 06:38:06 pm »

Thanks for the note!

Yeah, those folders would autopopulate in a git checkout, so i assumed the zips would do it too. I'll put up new zips. :)

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2012, 06:48:25 pm »

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 17, 2012, 04:30:12 pm »

I just uploaded a new version that will run a lot faster in normal use, since it restricts data collection and rendering to only a certain slice:

https://github.com/downloads/wchristian/lifevis/lifevis%20v0.258_005.zip

It will also be a lot more responsive, since it'll start rendering the world at the cursor itself and reset a rendering process if it detects movement.

Note: The slice settings will be locked to the cursor at the start. In order to adjust them you'll need to undo the lock first.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lifevis - A realtime 3D interface for DF - Now with more Speed!
« Reply #251 on: June 18, 2012, 04:03:43 am »

Alright, at this point i have a question to ask:

Interest in new releases seems to be fairly low, with the last one having received only 2 downloads besides my own test download since yesterday. I have a number of directions i can go in with further development, those specifically being:

- Ease of Use: The user interface is still very much programmer quality and could use some cleaning up.
- Data Compatibility: A number of things is not recognized or rendered properly, specifically: Mud, Glass, Ramps, Buildings. I would need to do some research, model assignment, texture creation to get those working properly.
- 3D Speed: Right now the rendering is done with very outdated OpenGL techniques and i need to learn how to use and implement Vertex Buffers, which should make the performance a lot better. This would be a fairly lengthy process akin to a rewrite.

Which of those would you most prefer to see in a new release?
Are there maybe other things you'd like to see that i haven't listed here?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 18, 2012, 08:13:49 am »

For me the biggest problem with Lifevis is speed. And yeah I tried the latest version and it is indeed better but not much (sorry to say that).

It is just so painfully slow that it is annoying to use even as static visualizer, and it is supposed to be realtime one...
One z-level of one map tile (48x48x1 tiles) takes like 20-30 seconds to render. I have no idea why is it so slow. It doesn't even draw that many polygons actually. I have worked with OpenGL and could draw much more stuff much faster even when using the simplest functions like glBegin, glVertex and glTexCoord.
It seems to me that you are either doing something horribly wrong or have some bug in the code and this why it is so slow, because I do not see any other reason why it could be that bad.
It explodes in gore!

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 18, 2012, 08:38:05 am »

For me the biggest problem with Lifevis is speed. And yeah I tried the latest version and it is indeed better but not much (sorry to say that).
Thanks for the feedback. One more reason to get started on that.

It is just so painfully slow that it is annoying to use even as static visualizer, and it is supposed to be realtime one...
One z-level of one map tile (48x48x1 tiles) takes like 20-30 seconds to render. I have no idea why is it so slow. It doesn't even draw that many polygons actually. I have worked with OpenGL and could draw much more stuff much faster even when using the simplest functions like glBegin, glVertex and glTexCoord.
It seems to me that you are either doing something horribly wrong or have some bug in the code and this why it is so slow, because I do not see any other reason why it could be that bad.
20 seconds for a single Z-Slice? How did you arrive at that measurement? The slowest i have seen was 1 second on my machine. What kind of numbers are you seeing in the "Calls" line of the debug output? What kind of hardware are you running? As for how it is rendered: It generates DisplayLists for each slice, by using glbegin, glDrawArrays, etc. The bug here might be that DisplayLists are deprecated and i assume that they're performing worse as a result of that.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2012, 01:22:51 pm »

20 seconds for a single Z-Slice? How did you arrive at that measurement? The slowest i have seen was 1 second on my machine.

It takes about 2 seconds per each small block (which is 16x16 tiles I think).
Actually it was not set to a single z-level slice when I measured this. It was set to the default span of 20 z-levels. But the top level was the surface level, while 20 z-levels under it were solid unmined rock, so it effectively was only drawing the surface level.

Edit: I set the Z-levels span to only 5 levels and it started running actually quite fast.

What kind of numbers are you seeing in the "Calls" line of the debug output?

Here is Lifevis output:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2akhw3.png
I noticed that "Item-Tasks" line goes from 1/6895 up to 6895/6895 then starts from the begining again and repeats. "Creature-Tasks" does this too.
DF remains paused so it is probably doesn't really need to update the items repeatedly.

What kind of hardware are you running?

Intel Core i3 550 3,2Ghz
GeForce GTS 450

I have good FPS in games, including games using OpenGL, so I don't think it is a problem with my hardware or drivers.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 01:31:15 pm by Rafal99 »
It explodes in gore!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18