Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Lifevis - A realtime 3D interface for DF - Now with more Speed!  (Read 77132 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf beautification project
« Reply #210 on: December 28, 2008, 07:26:13 pm »

Sprites are very good for people. Done right they can help to visualize an dwarf very nice. For example haircollors and clothing - just blend the Blue eyes and the gray beard over the face and the green vest over the body.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 29, 2008, 05:13:51 am »

Yeah, i'm indeed taking a break, this is however by no means abandoned. :)

Also, thanks for the mock-up, it really showed me how sprites would massively help. They'll definitely be in the next version.

Podonok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 29, 2008, 06:29:28 am »

So, is it a right time to start accumulating\pixelarting nice-looking sprites?  ;D

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

This is truly awesome.
I'm going to mess around with this right now.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2009, 10:51:16 am »

This mockup reminds me by the way on Bluebytes "Albion" that had to an mixed 2D/3D world in some parts of the game.

I agree. Also, that was an awesome game.

So, is it a right time to start accumulating\pixelarting nice-looking sprites?  ;D

At this stage it would probably make most sense to use existing graphics sets.
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/List_of_user_graphics_sets
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

soundandfury

• Bay Watcher
  • Code monkey
    • View Profile
    • Just to the Left of Venus (aka dev-null)
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2009, 12:15:43 pm »

Alas! for it does not work for me.
error.txt:
Can't load 'C:/Program Files/DF/site/lib/auto/Coro/State/State.dll' for module Coro::State: load_file:This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem at C:/Program Files/DF/site/lib/XSLoader.pm line 70.
 at C:/Program Files/DF/site/lib/Coro/State.pm line 106
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Program Files/DF/site/lib/Coro/State.pm line 112.
Compilation failed in require at C:/Program Files/DF/site/lib/Coro.pm line 64.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at C:/Program Files/DF/site/lib/Coro.pm line 64.
Compilation failed in require at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 87.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Lifevis/Viewer.pm line 87.
Compilation failed in require at Lifevis\Launcher.pm line 19.
It's maths, it must be true!
DF Designer

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2009, 08:06:17 am »

That's fixed earlier in the thread.
But you're lucky, mine doesn't even detect DF running.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2009, 08:21:52 am »

Oh, it sure would detect it, if you're running this version: v0.28.181.40d, posted September 6

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2009, 11:54:43 pm »

Just a few things re:lifevis:
 * is it still being worked on? 'cuz it's F***ING AWESOME!
 * minor bug report: Millstones look odd when they're close together:
Code: [Select]
  M
 MgM
  M
M=millstone, g=gearbox
the model for workshops overlaps, severely
 * how can i help? I'd love to help make the building models, but i don't know what app i'd need or how to put them in lifevis, or even what needs to be done
 * shouldn't this be moved to another topic?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2009, 01:24:28 am »

You'll want to fix for querns too, as the other 1-tile workshop. (Psst: You don't need the gearbox if that's a 40-power windmill, SolarShado)

I think workshops're better done modeled, though. Wagons too.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2009, 02:21:42 am »

bah, just make it really customizable so people can easily change between sprites/models and what particular sprite/model there is for each object and building. that way we will probably see lots of great and interesting sprite/model packs in the same way we currently see so many different tile set packs.

also means people can tailor sets for faster and slower systems. i personally really like the sprites, and fondly remember a lot of old games with 3d terrain and sprites for units, trees and nearly everything else. anyone remember myth and myth 2? populous: the beginning? the original dungeon keeper?

images of myth 2
http://au.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/10305/myth-ii-soulblighter/images/myth24.html

i really couldn't find any decent images for populous and dk1 that weren't postage stamp sized. but yeah, im definitely looking forwards to the next version of this, way to go mithaldu, and also toady for giving out that info at the start of the thead.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 18, 2009, 07:30:16 pm »

Buildings are only very basic right now and will be fleshed out later on. As for customization, yes, that is planned. Try looking at the actual *.pl files themselves to see how i am laying the groundwork for that. Look at ALL of them too.

As for help, right now the following is the most important one.

----

I'm slowly starting to work on Lifevis again. However, before getting to the meat on that, I need the offsets of the latest version. Why do i need them? Quite simply: If the offsets cannot be determined for all versions, then there is no point in going on, as there could be a wall beyond which they cannot be determined anymore.

Furthermore, I cannot rely on non-public methods of locating these. To do so would be to rely on the niceness of strangers, which can, due to Toady's varying release schedules, be quite fleeting. Additionally, so far it seems that there are quite a few people who work on finding the offsets, but everyone uses their own methods with only low amount of discussion between these people. (At least as far as public discussion goes. I know there were some private discussions, but to the DF community these are useless.)

As such, I have started with my knowledge and experience in DF so far, to look for and determine the offsets of 40d9 and at the same time document the steps taken to get them, both for myself and for others.

The progress so far is documented here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Offset_Finding_Methods

For anyone interested, i encourage you to follow my steps, retrace them, look for patterns that i missed, or try going down other paths that i ignored. I intend for this document to be written in such a manner that the average person capable of working their way through the DF interface should be able to follow these steps on their own.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2009, 07:48:46 am »

To find the pointer to the arrays storing the map blocks you can:
- Search for the dimension of the map in blocks (stored as a 4-byte integer). Each region on the world map is 3 blocks, so for a 6x6 map with 45 levels you would search for 0x00000012,0x00000012,0x0000002D (18,18,45).
- The 4 bytes directly preceding the x-dimension is the pointer to the block allocation.
This sequence should never change.

To find the other offsets I generally use an assembly debugger though (like OllyDbg) since the offsets are right there in the code if you know where to look.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 11, 2009, 04:19:33 am »

Jeez, what a round about way of doing things. Isn't DF open source? Why not?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 11, 2009, 04:38:50 am »

Jeez, what a round about way of doing things. Isn't DF open source? Why not?

From the FAQ:

Will you make Dwarf Fortress open-source so the community can speed development and fix bugs?
No. We don't want to associate with other people at a quasi-professional level, since this would make development less enjoyable. This is not a job for us; it is our personal mission.

But will you make Dwarf Fortress open-source for forks and tinkering?
No. Heavily diluting Dwarf Fortress adds a strong element of unpredictability to our support, and your donations are our sole source of income. While donations might not be affected at all, it's not a risk we can take at this point if the project is to continue.

Toady explained his position in greater depth in this thread.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18