Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49

Author Topic: Improved Farming  (Read 133862 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Farming
« Reply #405 on: May 01, 2010, 11:40:29 am »

Instead, let's concentrate on, for example, what variables should matter, how they are influenced, what farming tasks can be influenced by the player and what tasks the dwarves ought to to automatically, etc.

For the most part I think everything should be automatically done other than setting the farmland and marking what crops/fertilisation/etc should be done. Player does setup and lets it run is a good way.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 01, 2010, 08:49:38 pm »

That leaves you with approximately 4400 tiles worth of farms, or about 2 embark tiles (48x48 dwarf tiles ea.) on 1 z level.

Which is still too much IMO.
That's not that much really, it sounds like a lot, but when you look at that area carved out, it doesn't seem like too much to sustain a 200 dwarf fortress.  For an idea of how much space it would be, I built a tree farm in my first fortress, that was irrigated, and had almost 10000 tiles over 4 levels (a bit more if you include the overflow areas).  Look at http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-8015-treefarms It doesn't seem that big for the number of tiles that it is, and you'd only need less then half that space for a farm capable of supporting 200 dwarves using that number.  I mean, look at the size of my actual farms on that map, if you can find them.  They're tiny compared to everything else, and they generate an absurd surplus of food.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:55:16 pm by Soralin »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 01, 2010, 09:01:32 pm »

That's not that much really, it sounds like a lot, but when you look at that area carved out, it doesn't seem like too much to sustain a 200 dwarf fortress.  For an idea of how much space it would be, I built a tree farm in my first fortress, that was irrigated, and had almost 10000 tiles over 4 levels (a bit more if you include the overflow areas).  Look at http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-8015-treefarms It doesn't seem that big for the number of tiles that it is, and you'd only need less then half that space for a farm capable of supporting 200 dwarves using that number.  I mean, look at the size of my actual farms on that map, if you can find them.  They're tiny compared to everything else, and they generate an absurd surplus of food.

OK, I'll concede that 4400 tiles for 200 dwarves isn't too extravagant.  I only go up to 100 dwarves, so I think I could stand 2200 tiles.
(That works out to 22 tiles per dwarf per year).

SlipshodDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 01, 2010, 09:46:14 pm »

My only issue with the large number of tiles, is the time it will take for the dwarfs to actually traverse the tiles, granted Z levels nullify this greatly if you build in a cube, but from my own perspective it feels like a logistical nightmare, where haulers would have quite long treks to make, unless you use stockpile chains. At least until stacking for food items and the like works well anyways.

I would however like to see farming tiles have a bit more restriction though, maybe even take up multiple Z levels in some instances (trees for example), since soft ground + tunnel, would make me think it would be dangerous.

I also agree with kohaku on the "orchard" farming prospect as well, where you could plant fruit/nut trees and they would only produce during a certain point of the year, and require less maintenance by dwarfs (mostly only if we are still talking the whole 4400 tiles POV).

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 02, 2010, 01:54:08 am »

Yeah, some improved hauling behavior would definitely help out here.  So that someone harvesting a field could just go down a row and toss each harvested plant into a backpack, until it gets full or too heavy, and then dropping off the entire stack.  The same goes for picking up one seed at a time, and planting it, and going back for another, rather than just picking up a whole bag of seeds.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 02, 2010, 07:04:37 pm »

Soralin, yer treefarm fort gives me hope and happiness.  :3

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 04, 2010, 03:21:53 am »

OK, I'll concede that 4400 tiles for 200 dwarves isn't too extravagant.  I only go up to 100 dwarves, so I think I could stand 2200 tiles.
(That works out to 22 tiles per dwarf per year).

A 20 by 20 by 20 block is 8000 tiles, that seems quiet small really and is twice as much as you'd need. Although I still think increasing the time to plant but not necessarily the yield (and so size of farms) is the way to go.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 04, 2010, 02:06:04 pm »

A 20 by 20 by 20 block is 8000 tiles, that seems quiet small really and is twice as much as you'd need. Although I still think increasing the time to plant but not necessarily the yield (and so size of farms) is the way to go.

Twenty floors of farms is "small"?

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 04, 2010, 02:16:50 pm »

Dood, it's not that small, but it's manageable at least for me.  My fort right now is 10 floors of larger areas than that.  Considering five competent miners can clear that amount of area probably within a season of mining, that's not unfeasible.  But I see your point...

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 04, 2010, 03:41:21 pm »

The smallest possible embark area is 2x2. How many X and Y tiles is that?

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 04, 2010, 03:56:49 pm »

96 by 96 I think?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 04, 2010, 03:59:18 pm »

Twenty floors of farms is "small"?

Would 20 by 20 by 10 make you happier? or even just 200 by 20 if only number of floors is a concern to you :) I think it's small, you may (and clearly do) think it's not. Either way I think more work-time and not more farm land is preferable.

Edit: my brain is clearly broken.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:14:05 pm by Shades »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 04, 2010, 04:11:20 pm »

Would 20 by 20 by 10 make you happier? or even just 200 by 200 if only number of floors is a concern to you :) I think it's small, you may (and clearly do) think it's not. Either way I think more work-time and not more farm land is preferable.

FYI 200*200 = 40,000.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 04, 2010, 04:12:43 pm »

Would 20 by 20 by 10 make you happier? or even just 200 by 200 if only number of floors is a concern to you :) I think it's small, you may (and clearly do) think it's not. Either way I think more work-time and not more farm land is preferable.

FYI 200*200 = 40,000.

Brain fail :/ how can I do cubic numbers but not square ones?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 04, 2010, 05:22:03 pm »

Brain fail :/ how can I do cubic numbers but not square ones?

Beats me.  Of course, I'm trying to figure out why some machines (eg. Mac OS 10.0.6) don't like the javascript function postMessage.

(Work's project is Fun, alright.  You try intercommunication between Flex/Flash, HTML, and PDFs, using giant javascript chains).
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49