Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49

Author Topic: Improved Farming  (Read 134293 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Farming
« Reply #705 on: September 10, 2010, 03:54:41 am »

If this is a desirable setup, then I suggest there be no higher resolution in the background, because players will not see it or be able to effectively use it.

Most of the game has a higher resolution in the background that what is displayed to the player, and for very good reasons. I agree the player display should be the simple low resolution graduation in whatever dimensions of whatever idea we end up going with but the background should be what is most effective for implementation of that and should effectively ignore the chosen display.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 10, 2010, 04:30:25 am »

I totally agree with Shades.  I was not in any way suggesting simplification of mechanics.  I am all for a model of soil chemistry grounded (pardon the pun) in realism.

I am also for a way of keeping the dwarves as involved as possible in the processes of farming (or any sort of activity in the game) that they would have been if it were real life, and keeping the player's role in such activities flexible enough that they can micromanage if they want or allow the dwarves take care of facets the player doesn't wish to spend time on.  I feel that there is a lot of potential in the suggestions in this thread for accomplishing all of this.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 10, 2010, 09:35:50 am »

Something that could contribute to this goal that has been mentioned before is watering the soil. It could be as simple as being an integral part of the farm plot. Dwarves would come and bucket brigade water onto tiles marked for farming. With such a chore in place, it could be that each season's crop gets watered, instead of the water-once thing we've got now.

The only real purpose would be to make farm plots without first wetting the ground. Beyond that, it could give farmer dwarves another job order to fill, upping the demand for farmers.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #708 on: September 10, 2010, 12:11:03 pm »

It is traditional to have a horde of milita peasants. Can't be proper peasants if they don't have pitchforks and scythes to swing around.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 10, 2010, 02:14:22 pm »

It is traditional to have a horde of milita peasants. Can't be proper peasants if they don't have pitchforks and scythes to swing around.

And torches!

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 10, 2010, 02:53:17 pm »

Bucket brigades and peasant hordes with torches FTW!!!  If soil water permeability (or a loose abstraction thereof) makes it in, then designing an irrigation ditch system would be a wonderful way to reduce the dependency of your farms on bucket brigades later on in the life of the fort.  :3 

And the use of scythes, pitchforks and other tools would be the bees knees!!!  Have any of you guys ever seen a scythe actually being used for cutting down plants?  It's soooooo cool.  It reminds me of cutting grass in Zelda, except no rupees.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 12, 2010, 08:36:35 am »

And the use of scythes, pitchforks and other tools would be the bees knees!!!  Have any of you guys ever seen a scythe actually being used for cutting down plants?  It's soooooo cool.  It reminds me of cutting grass in Zelda, except no rupees.

An irrelevant sidenote: historically, sickles were used to harvest grain, not scythes. You can see it on most historical images, tapiseries, illuminations etc. depicting peasants. Scythes are for grass.

Wikipedia says:
The scythe was invented in about 500 BC and appeared in Europe during the 12th and 13th centuries. Initially used mostly for mowing grass, it replaced the sickle as the tool for reaping crops by the 16th century, the scythe allowing the reaper to stand rather than stoop. In about 1800 the addition of light wooden fingers above a scythe blade produced a form of scythe called the cradle which soon replaced the simple scythe for reaping grain and mowing other tall vegetation such as reeds
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 12, 2010, 09:12:35 pm »

Perhaps farming should require, at the bare minimum, a seed and a bucket of water?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 12, 2010, 09:44:27 pm »

Maybe rather than require mud, plants would get 'thirsty' every so often, like dwarves? A bit less arbitrary than just getting the ground wet once, and doesn't have to take a lot of coding to change. This would also let you make some plants more difficult than others by making them get thirsty faster.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 13, 2010, 03:28:18 pm »

An irrelevant sidenote: historically, sickles were used to harvest grain, not scythes. You can see it on most historical images, tapiseries, illuminations etc. depicting peasants. Scythes are for grass.

Wikipedia says:
The scythe was invented in about 500 BC and appeared in Europe during the 12th and 13th centuries. Initially used mostly for mowing grass, it replaced the sickle as the tool for reaping crops by the 16th century, the scythe allowing the reaper to stand rather than stoop. In about 1800 the addition of light wooden fingers above a scythe blade produced a form of scythe called the cradle which soon replaced the simple scythe for reaping grain and mowing other tall vegetation such as reeds

The more you know... :D  Thanks, Jiri.  Well, dwarves wouldn't need to stoop, so sickles might be ideal for them regardless!!!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 06, 2010, 05:41:13 pm »

so flooding the farms on a continuous basis?  ???
 :o
 :D
Let me have it!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 17, 2010, 02:27:44 pm »

I am not sure if it still is relevant for the discussion but i found a nice ted-talk (among other things concerning tree-growth and re-establishing forest) on how Plants and most impotently trees change the Climate of a mediterran and (sub)tropical region regarding rain, temperatures etc. I think some of you might be interested since it can help with fort mode planting and better distribution of biomes. 

edit: you know links are vicious and sneaky beasts. This one escaped me for a second.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:29:57 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 17, 2010, 02:33:38 pm »

And the link would be...where?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 17, 2010, 03:29:12 pm »

oooops edited the posts. Thanks for telling me  ;D .
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 25, 2012, 10:51:26 pm »

But there should be an easier way of getting rid of old water besides waiting half a year for it to drain and evaporate. Maybe if it absorbed into the soil. Irrigation is a bitch and we love/hate it. It should be able to work a bit more fluidly.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:53:47 pm by Darkond2100 »
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49