Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strangest Thing  (Read 3271 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Strangest Thing
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:25:22 pm »

I just had the strangest thing happen. I played DF for a few hours, closed it, and went on to do some other things. Then suddenly I noticed the music from it was still playing (I keep the volume turned down, so it was just a low tune of the guitar in the background). I looked to be sure, and sure enough the program was closed. I closed all my open programs and could still hear it. I restarted my computer and I could still hear it.

By now im thinking damn, I've played this game so much I have the song stuck in my head so that im actually hearing it when its not playing. But I leave the room and I can't hear it anymore - I come back and there it is, playing softly in the background. So I listen closely and realise it IS playing from my speakers. I cut the power from the speakers and it stops, then turn them back on and silence.

Is there some way for a sound file to get stuck in a loop in speakers even after the computer stops sending input? I've never had anything like that happen before.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strangest Thing
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:33:34 pm »

.....that's weird.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:35:14 pm »

The fact it keeps going upon a reboot is kind of weird. Only thing I can think of is a music player automatically found the music files in DF's folder, added them to it's library and decided to play them.

Find the files in the sound folder under data. Send them to the Recycling Bin, but don't delete them. See if it's still playing

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 11:45:35 pm »

I say take your speakers to a priest.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 11:48:08 pm »

Update your sound card drivers.  I had something similar happen to me before, and using the correct driver fixed it.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 12:08:26 am »

The fact it keeps going upon a reboot is kind of weird. Only thing I can think of is a music player automatically found the music files in DF's folder, added them to it's library and decided to play them.

Find the files in the sound folder under data. Send them to the Recycling Bin, but don't delete them. See if it's still playing

It's not doing it now, it stopped after I cut the power to the speakers. It was even playing while the computer was restarting, the speakers by themselves were playing it. It actually didn't play the normal windows sounds in favor of playing the DF sound loop. After unplugging and plugging them back in they stopped doing it and seem to be working fine now. It's like they somehow got the music file in a loop stuck in them and didn't play anything else - do speakers even have memory? It's just two speakers and a subwoofer base that they're connected to.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

silvarius2000

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 01:38:04 am »

Armok is singing to you.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 01:46:54 am »

It's not doing it now, it stopped after I cut the power to the speakers. It was even playing while the computer was restarting, the speakers by themselves were playing it. It actually didn't play the normal windows sounds in favor of playing the DF sound loop. After unplugging and plugging them back in they stopped doing it and seem to be working fine now. It's like they somehow got the music file in a loop stuck in them and didn't play anything else - do speakers even have memory? It's just two speakers and a subwoofer base that they're connected to.
Thats Impossible, how could they use files if the computer is off?
Mabey the speakers are gaining a mind of their own...
Destroy them before they rebel and take over the world!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 02:55:58 am »

Wait wait wait,
There is a report that DF was trying to connect the internet, while it shouldn't. right?
So can this be the same like that? DF is gaining consciousness. Call your gods!

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 03:53:50 am »

Either you're going completly mad or this is a sign that the Robot Revolution will involve dwarf-bots.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 04:23:45 am »

That's a problem I have when using ePSX. I think the process is still running in background. Right-click on your task bar, open task manager, go to the "processes" tab, look for dwarfort.exe, select it and "end process".

This did the trick for me (not with DF but still).

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 04:43:31 am »

Dae - hehehe... new to the interwebs?

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 04:43:37 am »

What kinds of speakers?  Might just be a driver bug if they were USB speakers, since then they would have kept the .ogg song in the speaker's memory, and not in the computer.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 09:16:50 am »

I say take your speakers to a priest.
Cow beat me to it =[

...But I second this suggestion.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 10:29:01 am »

Alright, you'll need an old priest and a young priest...  ;D
Possibly also a mop for when your speakers start vomiting green pea soup.
Pages: [1] 2