Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: " to others, a piece of crap "  (Read 2108 times)

folo4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
" to others, a piece of crap "
« on: August 01, 2008, 12:29:23 am »

...or something along those lines when Toady One describes Liberty Crime Squad.

thing is, I am absolutely Oblivious to this "liberal" and "conservative" malarkey.

Would I be able to enjoy the game?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: " to others, a piece of crap "
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:54:26 am »

I tend to believe you can enjoy it. There's a friend of mine who is extremely apolitical, and he loves the game. The game is pretty clear about what is good and what is bad from the point of view of your violent radical crazies, and even if you don't know what you're fighting for, I'm not sure the real-world SLA was always fully conscious of their own ideals either, hehehe.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 08:48:46 pm »

The game is best played from the viewpoint of 'radicalism in any direction is silly.'

And then you try to be as silly as possible.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 12:08:41 am »

I didn't really know much of it until after I played it; I looked it up out of interest. If you accept "Liberal" as a stand-in for "Good" and "Conservative" as a stand-in for "Bad"-- and realize that guns are also bad, unless you're using them, you're all set!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 05:19:33 am »

First, I just remembered that the line actually reads "to others, an offensive piece of crap".

Based on that being the statement, I assume it was added so the player knew not to take the game too seriously.  For instance, there haven't been any genetic monsters who breath fire sighted in reality yet.  If you were interested in politics, you might take offense to the game.  Being Apolitical can only help your enjoyment of the game.  One thing I like is how the game takes potshots at both the conservatives and liberals.