Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Editing Tiles for fun and profit  (Read 2278 times)

rhonyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Editing Tiles for fun and profit
« on: October 15, 2008, 04:42:01 pm »

So I started a rather small fortress, 2x3 and found that I have A) only 1 large cluster of magnetite and B) No Sand. If it was either A or B, I might be okay, but both is totally intolerable. This didn't occur to me till too far down the line, and now I don't feel too keen on starting over. That all being said, I want to know how to edit a tile so that instead of being Limestone or whatever, it actually becomes White Sand or Insert Material Here. I am running .40d with the mike mayday distro and some mild INIT file configuration to help speed things up. Otherwise the game isn't modded. How can I do this?

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Editing Tiles for fun and profit
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 04:54:29 pm »

I haven't tried this myself yet, but do you have any obsidian (or magma you can mix with water)?  I've been told that constructing a floor over an obsidian block, and then removing it, creates black sand.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

rhonyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 04:59:51 pm »

i don't understand:
0x0

Where X is obsidian, i dig out the 0 above it and create a floor? or do i put a floor on the x?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:43:00 pm »

press 'b', select floor, use obsidian to build floor, once your dwarves have built the floors, press 'q', select the floors, and press 'x'. if i understood, that leaves you with piles of black sand.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 09:55:39 pm »

press 'b', select floor, use obsidian to build floor, once your dwarves have built the floors, press 'q', select the floors, and press 'x'. if i understood, that leaves you with piles of black sand.

Constructions cannot be targeted with q.

You need to designate the floors to be removed. (d)esignate, and then a command called Remove Constructions.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 10:25:50 pm »

I think there is a function in Dtil's tile editor where you can select the make-up of a tile.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 11:55:25 pm »

To stop the spread of disinformation, I tested this; it doesn't work.  The tiles turned to loam, not sand usable for glassmaking.  So, sorry.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 01:00:02 pm »

You can add the [Sand] token to any existing soil type on your map in the raws at:

Dwarf Fortress\raw\data\matgloss_soil.txt

Just scroll down to the soil type you DO have, and add [SAND] to any line after the line with the soil's name. Check existing sand types to see how it's done.

If you want to turn limestone into iron ore, open:

Dwarf Fortress\raw\data\matgloss_stone_mineral.txt

And find the name for the stone type you want to convert, and add [METAL_ORE:IRON] to that stone type. Check existing stone types to see how this is done if you're unsure.

Some of the posts in this thread suggest solutions that don't work. The only time there will be sand underneath a construction after you remove it is if there was sand beneath it when it was built. Note that placing a construction over a smoothed floor or muddied tile and then removing it will also remove the smoothing\mud from the tile, which is useful sometimes. Natural rock walls can never be replaced once they are dug out, as block walls and rough rock walls that you construct will appear "smoothed", so don't dig out a tile of natural rock unless you're 100% sure you don't want a natural wall or an engraving there someday.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.