Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Map revealing utility  (Read 3502 times)

KylonOrina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Map revealing utility
« on: September 18, 2008, 01:08:18 pm »

Is there a program/mod that reveals map tiles for the current version (40d)?
Really getting tired of seeing £ on the embark screen and not being able to find the HFS.

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Map revealing utility
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 05:28:09 pm »

You could try:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24429.0

It doesn't reveal the entire map but it certainly helps finding things.
Also has the added bonus that if you do find magma or a river it will correctly enable magma buildings and underground plantlife.

If you're certain you want a full reveal, "Gibbed Dwarf Fortress Tweak" will do it.
grab it from http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Rick/Tweak
and get the latest xml file from
http://www.geocities.com/jifodus/tables/dwarvis/

There are instructions on the wiki page, i can't check it right now I'm at work :S

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 04:54:40 pm »

Can someone please explain how to use the xml file to get tweak to work with v0.28.181.40d. I'm completely clueless.

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 06:38:44 pm »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Jifodus#Memory

Another way would be to try using: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24897.0

I tried adding that line, and although it allows tweak to run none of the modules work.

I just tried the automatic address finder with dtil and I just get an error that it can't find memory.ini.

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 08:00:56 pm »

At the moment, the Dtil plugin & the following are two very different releases (even though they share the same base code). I intentionally didn't bump the thread since Toady hasn't released a new version, however, I did quietly add this bit. Maybe I should've...
As of September 19, 2008 you can now update configuration for Tweak, Dwarf Foreman, and 3Dwarf/Dwarvis. It's still easy, but it isn't as clean as the integration with Dtil.
  • Download http://www.geocities.com/jifodus/discovery/discovery_standalone.zip (age: September 19, 2008)
  • Extract to a folder
  • Run Jifodus.PatternsEngine.Standalone.exe
  • Click File>Open
  • Navigate to the Dwarf Fortress folder and open up dwarfort.exe
  • Ensure the information displayed in the "Status" tab is correct
  • On the "Tools" tab, setup the paths for the tools you want the configuration updated
  • Click Update
  • Wait for it to notify of it's completion

Note: As of September 19, 2008, when you generate the configuration for Tweak, it will warn that the patterns enable_magma_forge and enable_magma_furnaces don't exist. This is to be expected since Tweak can lookup those two values for itself; I'll eventually be adding patterns until then, they will remain missing.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 09:43:14 pm »

At the moment, the Dtil plugin & the following are two very different releases (even though they share the same base code). I intentionally didn't bump the thread since Toady hasn't released a new version, however, I did quietly add this bit. Maybe I should've...
As of September 19, 2008 you can now update configuration for Tweak, Dwarf Foreman, and 3Dwarf/Dwarvis. It's still easy, but it isn't as clean as the integration with Dtil.
  • Download http://www.geocities.com/jifodus/discovery/discovery_standalone.zip (age: September 19, 2008)
  • Extract to a folder
  • Run Jifodus.PatternsEngine.Standalone.exe
  • Click File>Open
  • Navigate to the Dwarf Fortress folder and open up dwarfort.exe
  • Ensure the information displayed in the "Status" tab is correct
  • On the "Tools" tab, setup the paths for the tools you want the configuration updated
  • Click Update
  • Wait for it to notify of it's completion

Note: As of September 19, 2008, when you generate the configuration for Tweak, it will warn that the patterns enable_magma_forge and enable_magma_furnaces don't exist. This is to be expected since Tweak can lookup those two values for itself; I'll eventually be adding patterns until then, they will remain missing.

This worked perfectly, thank you.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 10:34:03 pm »

I can't use Tweak because the 200 kb program needs 70 MB worth of .NET runtime just so someone could spare a few lines of code. Is there anyone that has the old reveal.exe?

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 03:56:03 pm »

I can't use Tweak because the 200 kb program needs 70 MB worth of .NET runtime just so someone could spare a few lines of code. Is there anyone that has the old reveal.exe?

Certain locations and offsets in DF have changed, so the old reveal.exe doesn't work.  I even tried patching the locations directly into reveal.exe and it didn't quite work right.

I do agree on the bulkiness of the .NET runtimes, especially as I needed multiple versions to get tweak running, and I'm not even sure which versions are required, I ended up installing everything I could find.  It was frustrating.

A last thought: I could easily make a utility that reveals a 255x255 region every time a map square is dug out.  Would that be something you would want?

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 02:31:10 am »

Certain locations and offsets in DF have changed, so the old reveal.exe doesn't work.  I even tried patching the locations directly into reveal.exe and it didn't quite work right.

I do agree on the bulkiness of the .NET runtimes, especially as I needed multiple versions to get tweak running, and I'm not even sure which versions are required, I ended up installing everything I could find.  It was frustrating.
reveal.exe does work when it has an appropriate memory.ini, I just tried it on v0.28.181.40d and it worked flawlessly. Also, my config generator is capable of generating config files for Rick's old tools, since that's why I originally wrote it; I even have configs back to v0.28.181.39a, I could've had more, but I deleted the very old ones.

v0.28.181.40d:
Code: [Select]
[generic]
DWARF_FORTRESS=0x009845D4

[address]
MAP_DATA=0x015C4D58
MAP_X_COUNT=0x015C4D70
MAP_Y_COUNT=0x015C4D74
MAP_Z_COUNT=0x015C4D78
MENU_STATE=0x01393260
FOCUSED_CREATURE=0x00D870F4
STARTING_DWARF_COUNT=0x00853A89
STARTING_POINT_COUNT=0x00852C0A
MOUSE_X=0x009FC294
MOUSE_Y=0x009FC298
MOUSE_Z=0x009FC29C
CREATURE_VECTOR=0x01583228

[offset]
MAP_DATA_DESIGNATION_OFFSET=0x0264
MAP_DATA_OCCUPANCY_OFFSET=0x0664
CREATURE_NAME_OFFSET=0x0000
CREATURE_X_OFFSET=0x0094
CREATURE_Y_OFFSET=0x0096
CREATURE_Z_OFFSET=0x0098
CREATURE_BODY_PART_HEAL_VECTOR_OFFSET=0x02FC

I've never installed a .net runtime directly myself, except once when I upgraded Vista's 3.0 to 3.5. I've always installed it through installing Visual Studio. But I can say that .NET 1.0 is different from .NET 2.0, I don't know how 3.0 and 3.5 fit into the picture.

Dari

• Bay Watcher
  • I punt kobolds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 10:22:07 pm »

Ok so I followed the updating instructions and got it up to the point where all the circles are red, but now I can't activate modules. What have I done wrong?
In case of death, coat in platinum, and worship as idol god.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 10:29:59 pm »

Tweak?  You've got to attach to process.  Then the circles will turn blue or green or some such.  And DF has to be running when you do, so it can find the process to attach to.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Dari

• Bay Watcher
  • I punt kobolds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 12:30:13 am »

I have Tweak open whilst running DF but when I select a module to activate it doesn't do anything.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 12:49:38 am »

Because you have to first select ATTACH TO PROCESS.  Just because it's running doesn't mean it's attached to the .exe yet, you have to tell it to do that!
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Dari

• Bay Watcher
  • I punt kobolds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 12:54:28 am »

Ok and then it asks me if I'm sure I want to select proccess 6032, upon answering yes the circles turn red, but I can't do anything.