Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress look-alike aka Dungeon Master on BYOND.com  (Read 14128 times)

Mercanthyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress look-alike aka Dungeon Master on BYOND.com
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 09:00:35 am »

OK here's my two cents. Anyone can make any game they like. Boohoo if they "stole" ideas. There are mountains of dead of the human race over the past several million years and quite a few of them had the same ideas at one time or another. In 2009 it's a lot easier for us to go "HEY LOOK MAN WHAT THE HELL THATS MY IDEA" because people value being paid and respected for their work.

I propose we we ignore the people who don't work hard enough or produce quality work and give our respect and time to those who deserve it (not making any specific judgements here on who.)

I choose to give my time and respect to this game, it's developer and its community. Why? because I mean just look at it! I just looked at the list of suggestions that TheToadyOne keeps up, that is a staggering list of demands that people make on him but he seems to thrive on it and try his hardest to make the best possible game whether in reality it's ultimately doable or not. His love of making games is more than apparent THAT is why I respect him. We can always count on him to change the game and make it better. Those are the people who deserve our time. Most game developers these days drop supporting their games after the most immediate bugs are out because they are businesses and they've already "sold" their product and so no longer feel the need to improve it. Toady makes games because he wants to even more so than just making money.  [/rant]

I'll reiterate. This world we live in is imperfection incarnate so I think the best thing that a human can do is pay attention to what is best and ignore the rest if it doesn't suit you rather than sit around whining (not saying who if anyone is) about what is lesser.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 09:27:01 am »

I wonder if marriage is like the original copyright...

"they were mine first, now they can be no one elses."

As for the game.... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

It pleases me greatly that dwarf fortress has clones coming out that are trying to live up to it.   Who knows.. They might even manage to design something worth stealing back...  (except multilayer... YUCK!)

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2009, 09:39:46 am »

I wonder if marriage is like the original copyright

Naw. That came much later.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 02:14:51 pm »

I'm all for stealing game mechanics from other games.  Think how sad all the X-Com fans would be if someone said "Nobody else can make an X-Com game!  They're just stealing the core mechanics!"

Good designers borrow, great designers steal...that's ideas, not source code.  If it's a good idea, TAKE IT.  Make it your own, but don't be shy about appropriating it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 08:43:31 pm »

Good designers borrow, great designers steal

Uhh while your not incorrect it is one of those "Unfortunate" things.

The only quote I can think of that is similar I have to take from South Park (I don't really like that show)

"If you cheat and are caught, that makes you a cheater. If you cheat and get away with it. Then you are Swavy"

Designers who steal and get away with it are great.

Designers who steal and get caught are bandwagon.

Dungeon Master simply got caught.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 03:41:59 pm »

How is this an important reason for bumping it?

Because our flame war levels are getting dangerously low?
Since i want justice done and Ginsengs reputation not to be: The-dodgy-thief-who-steals-ideas.My reason for reviving it is, Ginseng is probably the most patient and kind man on the planet (Annoyingly so) i doubt he would even consider ripping off Dwarf Fortress shamelessly, also what Neon said. Not really :D. I compared the people involved to 4Chan over the fact SOME(Not everyone) people WERE giving it a verbal thrashing, saying it is a rip-off and the like, but never-the-less, your opinion is your opinion, i'm not going to go ape on you. :)
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 04:00:42 pm »

What I especially love are things that are given credit for inventing something that has been around for a while.

For example one time I was watching something on the net (it was a comedy) and they said "Power of Friendship" and someone went "They stole that from Yugioh Abridged!!!"

I was like "Wait since when did YGO Abridged invent the fact that the power of friendship is rediculous in concept to hillarious degrees?"

I really need to play Dungeon Master... but apperantly it isn't all that great.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 04:19:48 pm »

Oh man, BYOND.  I looooved SS13.  Interface was just as bad as DF, but... Man, you could do some crazy fun stuff.  Fond memories.  Lots of fond memories...

I never will forget the traps I made... the firedoor closing right behind him as the entire area filled with an explosive gas...

Or the time I was thrown in prison, and then released only to find out the main hall had no air left...

Or the time we where playing a meteor mode, and managed to set up a bunker in the medbay, trying to survive the meteors... as we ran out of air, and had huge amounts of injured we where trying to save...

Or the time I was knocked out, my ID taken, and welded in a closet.  Then the imposter, sporting my ID, went on a killing spree, and I got blamed...

Or the time I blew up the space station...

Or the time someone else blew up part of space station, and I survived, managed to run to the gas mask and air tank before the room completely drained of all the air...

Fun times...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

mithra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2009, 07:14:32 pm »

its like comparing Jesus  . . . .

Why are you bringing up a fictional character?

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2009, 08:13:41 pm »

Try to stay on topic, and be respectful.
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2009, 07:37:51 am »

its like comparing Jesus  . . . .

Why are you bringing up a fictional character?
excellent harry!
what does this mean?

Disaster!

• Bay Watcher
  • Criminal Scum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2009, 12:43:42 pm »

Works can be copyrighted
Designs can be patented
But Ideas are free

DM is just someone else's take on the idea behind DF
At some time in the future, the civilisation generator will acheive the complexity for self-awareness and independent thought.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 12:07:18 pm »

Works can be copyrighted
Designs can be patented
But Ideas are free

DM is just someone else's take on the idea behind DF
Exactly, it's fair enough if someone takes the same idea, in all, Dwarf Fortress has taken ideas from other games, and other games took ideas from it. However that does not mean that any of them are bad, just that they saw a great thing and were inspired by it, and thus made a game using the same idea.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.
Pages: 1 2 [3]