Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - the Movie Trailer  (Read 3301 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress - the Movie Trailer
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:30:00 am »

Black screen. Somber and dramatic music. Beginning credits. "A Bay 12 production... Directed by Toady..." etc. etc.

Cue the narrator: They came from across the frozen wastes of the northlands to strike the earth...

As the narrator speaks, we see images in black and white of dwarves arriving at a mountain, unloading carts, setting up camp.

Narrator: They dug a glorious home...

Images of vast mountain halls, long pillared corridors stretching into darkness, crystal arches spanning over roaring rivers of magma etc.

Narrator: They forged legendary artefacts...

A dwarf stands up from his workbench, proudly holding up a leather thong, studded with spikes of adamantium.

Narrator: They threw legendary parties...

Wild party scene with dwarves drinking, throwing fist fights, drinking, throwing statues, drinking...
Music turns from sentimental to foreboding.

Narrator: Then came the darkness...

Goblin army arrayed before the gates, with ogres and stuff, and elephants with ballistae on their backs.

Narrator: A tidal wave of evil...

Hordes of goblins pouring through the main corridor, knocking down doors, pillars, everything from the sheer power of their bulk and momentum. Massive carnage because of traps, body parts flying, hundreds of goblins die, but the stream is endless.

Individual scenes of dwarves fighting and falling. Cut to black. Music turns sentimental.

Now in colour, mainly dusky blue light on the scene. Panning scenes over the dusty skeletons of the same dwarves from the previous scenes, still wearing their armor, still clutching their weapons.

Panning stops at two goblins squabbling over a dwarf's helmet, trying to prise a gem out of it.

Music turns subtly more dramatic. Cut to a close up of a hand, clad in a bronze gauntlet, taking a rusty pick from a skeletal hand. A loud rasping noise echoes through the (relative) silence as it drags against the rough rock floor, cut to the goblins, looking up at the noise.

Narrator: But now...

The spinning, flying pick strikes one goblin in the face, smashing it in. As the goblin falls, the Adventurer steps boldly up, brandishing an obsidian sword, the remaining goblin cringes and squeals.

Narrator: But now, everyone and their grandmother has come to get some...

Various scenes of unlikely adventurers blundering through the abandoned fortress, including one of a poorly equipped adventurer armed with a discarded arrow(!) at the head of three unarmed drunks, as well as one scene which shows a marginally better equipped peasant and an elderly woman wading through the gem storage (the crates having rotted and the gems spilled out knee-high on the floor).

Narrator: Now, everyone wants a piece of the action...

Various fight scenes, mostly of people in various degrees of equipment ambushing goblins, confused wrestling, a person strangling a cat, a dwarf adventurer getting swarmed by naked mole rats, goblins being thrown at other goblins, a rampaging dwarf ripping the arm off a goblin and beating seven other goblins to death with it...

Narrator: Now, losing is fun.

A human adventurer steps into a big hall full of goblins, ogres and other greenskins with a confident swagger, sword arm swaying leisurly at his side. He holds up his free hand as the gobbos all turn at him, surprised, and he holds up his thumb and index finger to indicate about an inch, shouting "I hear you guys have REALLY small di-"

Quick cut to a forest scene where an elven adventurer has just hit a dumbfounded ettin in the side with a blunt wooden sword to get his attention. The ettin turns around slowly, scratching his side where the wood sword hit, whereupon the elf steps back, brandishes the sword at the etting and shouts "Yo momma so UGLY her HEADS can't stand to LOOK at each other!"

Cut to black. Narrator: And now it's personal.

Cut to a scene in the middle of a clearing in a burning forest. A dwarven adventurer with a torch is standing in front of a half circle of very angry elves with bows. The dwarf shouts, "What'cha gonna do? Cry about it?"

Cut to the title.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - the Movie Trailer
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 06:48:00 am »

A true masterpiece in the making.
Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 07:02:00 am »

In fact, I'd even go so far to say that it's BEYOND QUALITY!

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 07:05:00 am »

Haha, this is great! I wanna see this made  :D Anyone up for it?
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 07:38:00 am »

This would kick ass if it were done in CG.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 07:40:00 am »

and I only had my idea, slightly easier to make because I'm using already-rendered footage...

*cue something similar to start of this one, start up requiem for a dream or some such tune*
dwarves digging into mountain, usual things with farm and such, fortress gets bigger

(as music builds up bit more, dwarves hit the chasm)
*cut to those scenes of moria in fellowship of the ring, with the bucket falling down into that huge cavern*

(unwitting dwarves get owned by passing elephants, as music builds up a bit more)
*goblins show up and ambush the human caravan, maybe a scene straight out of dow with tacs ripping the snot out of some grot squads, complete with force commander batting them outta the way  :D*

(final scene starts up, cue montage-y type scene)
-the mark of chaos intro - that bit where the elves gatecrash the chaos battle, running in firing arrows everywhere and killing everyone
-more scenes from lotr, this time with oliphants running down the rohirrim, and goblins swarming in with the balrog to dispatch the dwarves
-(final bit of tune with that dun dun dundunDUNDUN bit), legolas sliding off the oliphant's trunk *fade out*
*fade in* gimli: still only counts as one....

eh, I needed to put more into it, but you get the idea  :p

the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 08:14:00 am »

That would make a kickass trailer. Most entertaining thing I've read in a while.

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 08:25:00 am »

WoW the movie.. Halo the movie..(not to mention The Sims the movie..)

Why not!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 01:49:00 pm »

A whole box of cookies to whomever puts this together.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

This thread reminded me of this 'trailer'  :D

It'd be awesome to have a similar, epic trailer for DF   :cool:

Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 04:52:00 pm »

epic  :D
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 12:45:00 am »

That trailer made me thinking..
if anyone found out that I understand what the letters mean, they'll think I'm mad.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 07:36:00 am »

I was thinking of making DF clip with 300 Spartans trailer audio.
But, just thinking of windows movie maker makes me hide...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 09:51:00 am »

I'll talk to rooster teeth. I think a DF movie is right up their alley.  :D

[ September 17, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 10:09:00 am »

People have even made movies (or trailers, at least) out of Minesweeper, so Dwarf Fortress shouldn't be a problem if someone had the time and resources to put something together.
Pages: [1] 2