Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 109

Author Topic: Halltraded succession game, (finished). (40d)  (Read 189429 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Halltraded succession game. Now alcohol free!! (40d)
« Reply #1335 on: November 04, 2010, 06:16:36 pm »

Anyhow, I'm sorry about all this, we have two options: replay the year in normal 40d, or continue with the current save, at war with the elves, and possibly humans.

You've just used word 'normal' regarding to DF.
What use would be the point of reverting anyway? Sobriety, elves dwelling underground, ambushing elves, human snatchers it only makes it interesting. I say we should continue even if elves turn into Clowns or magma floods the world.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: November 04, 2010, 09:17:47 pm »

Yeah this makes the game interesting.  Keep going with it.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: November 05, 2010, 08:53:39 am »

Already? Starting soon.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: November 05, 2010, 01:51:53 pm »

Already? Starting soon.

No, not yet!

The save was uploaded because of all the strange things that were happening, since that's sorted out I'll delete it now. I hope to finish my turn this weekend.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: November 05, 2010, 02:32:19 pm »

26th of Sandstone: There's a crying baby in the meeting room where everybody has to get their water. Actually, it has been there for two weeks, and nobody is looking after it. It is a rule in Halltraded that orphans should be adopted by the Temple, which would make me responsible. Obviously it is now my highest priority to seek the parents of this unfortunate child.

27th of Sandstone: Apparently the child's mother is Mafol Urnreign The Ancient of Whiskers, one of our champions, she killed five elves in the recent battle. I just learned that Udib Bootrose, the count consort has thrown her in jail, because she failed to make green glass items. I've tried to explain that champions do not need to work, and that the wrong person was punished, but the nobility seems to disagree.

1st of timber: I've visited the jail. This place is an absolute hellhole! All dwarves in here are severely dehydrated and starving, apparently nobody is bringing them food or water because they are to busy hauling elf corpses to the trash compactors. Then there's the screaming: many of the dwarves are close to losing their sanity, especially Mafol, who keeps screaming for her baby. (ooc: horrible message spam). Also, almost all dwarves in here have no sentence pending, apparently Kel Townmetal, the captain of the guard has locked them up, but did not release them once their sentence had passed. I entered the captains quarters, but I was unable to wake him up, he probably drunk too much cow milk again. I've replaced him with someone more capable ( I hope). Kel has received new orders, his new job is to haul refuse and clean and nothing else. That will teach him.

I've ordered the dwarves to cut down the chains of the dwarves that have no sentence pending, and I've released Mafol, so she can pick up her child. This is likely to get me into trouble, but we really can't use a prison rebellion right now, the atmosphere in the fortress is tense, and anything could trigger large scale riots.

3th of timber, a couple of peasants where attacked by skeletal wolves, everybody survived, but the peasants are very upset about being attacked by undead. Yet more unhappy citizens....

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: November 05, 2010, 03:38:23 pm »

Unhappy citizens, so? Release the Gestapo! To the camps! (As in lock them in a large chamber and then just have them spam stone stuff until they shut up or kill each other)

Srsly
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: November 06, 2010, 01:13:49 am »

Unhappy citizens, so? Release the Gestapo! To the camps! (As in lock them in a large chamber and then just have them spam stone stuff until they shut up or kill each other)

Srsly
I find the fact that this is a very common and effective means of dealing with the problem quite amusing. Though in DF, gestapo = magma

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: November 06, 2010, 04:36:08 pm »

The Dwarven caravan never arrived this autumn, I pray to Datan that nothing bad has happened.

22th of Opal: During the battle with the elves, months ago, one of the treehuggers was thrown from the water platform into the raging river below, Everybody assumed he drowned, and nobody checked. Now that the river below the upstream dam has fallen dry we have found out that in fact, he did not die, or at least not completely... It's rather creepy actually, the Elf just hangs there, suspended in air, with a look of agony and defeat on his face, we can not touch him, for he seems to be encased in some kind of force field. This miracle must be the work of Datan! he has given us this anomoly as a monument to our victory over the treacherous treehuggers! This forever dying Elf will keep the memory of our victory alive. I do not have time to build a fitting monument around the elf, for I need to finish the cathedral. I need to finish it before the end of winter, and work is slow without alcohol.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 05:46:58 pm by Bralbaard »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: November 06, 2010, 05:47:34 pm »

I find the fact that this is a very common and effective means of dealing with the problem quite amusing. Though in DF, gestapo = magma
That should be a signature.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: November 07, 2010, 01:18:56 pm »

Datan the Crystalline Canyon, the Dwarven God, looked down from the cellestial plane in horror. The past year had been disastrous, he had been known as a force of good among his followers, now dwarves unanimously saw him as the cruel and unfair god of no-alcohol. Datan told himself that this hatred would be soon forgotten once he won this challenge and dwarves were proclaimed superior to the elven race. But he could not believe that the dwarves would forgive him that easily, also the outcome of the challenge was far from certain, and even winning the challenge may not be enough:

Alatha, the elven godess had realized quickly that her people would have great difficulty surviving below ground, and she had taken precautions, if she could not win the challenge directly she could prove the superiority of the elven race by other means, by wiping out the dwarven race completely in a war on a scale that the world had never seen. The elven tribe selected to build the underground fortress was to survive for as long as possible, meanwhile, all other elves gathered as many animals and natural allies as they could, and attacked. They had not only attacked Halltraded, but they had attacked everywhere, leaving the entire world in chaos, the autumn caravan had been just one of the many, many victims. Meanwhile, the position of the humans was uncertain, there were clear indications that the human deities had chosen the side of Alatha, wich would be a complete disaster.

Datan did not know how long the dwarven race could last against such an onslaught, or how much longer Halltraded could last without alcohol, all would depend on the mortals below, who were unaware of the role they were playing. Of one thing he was certain, this high priest named Thorvak, who pretended to be his representative in Halltraded, was a complete idiot. With him in charge Halltraded would not last much longer. Datan focused his Godly powers, and made sure that Thorvak would wake up the next morning with a horrible case of amnesia and very bad indigestion. The dwarves of Halltraded would be forced to elect a new leader.

-----------------

save:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3366

Map: (I'll try and upload some more points of interest later. )

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-25949-theelfanomaly

Notes:
-The cathedral (above the entrance) is allmost finished, in fact orders for completion have been given.
-The upstream dam is finished, and the holes in the riverbed have been walled in. Both the holes that flooded the bunker and the hole feeding the well in the new fortress have been fitted with a floodgate, both can be opened/closed by a lever on the platforms above (these may not yet be linked to the floodgates, but orders have been given to complete this, should be done in a couple of days)
-Food producion has been completely shut down, but the amount of food we have should last a couple of years.
-FPS, at least for me is about the same as at the start of the year (20 to 25) even though a lot of extra junk has been cleaned up.

Edit:
Demonic spoon is currently busy, I've switched his place on the list with Canalan. I've send Canalan a PM.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 03:19:29 pm by Bralbaard »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: November 07, 2010, 06:23:14 pm »

The next person should drain the area in the bunker.  The pump tower I perfect for that, I think.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: November 08, 2010, 06:28:50 pm »

ROFL I look forward to purging gently chastising the followers of Datan with my Gestapo strongly worded letters of dissapointment and then sending them to the gulags their rooms to think long and hard about what went wrong.

Edit: IS this thread dead or something? Do I have to sieze the reigns? I guarantee that would be disastrous.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:53:09 pm by Zrk2 »

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: November 12, 2010, 11:15:29 am »

I don't trust that floating elf. I recall something similar in another succession a while back, and it caused some problems.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: November 12, 2010, 12:55:02 pm »

Come-on what can he do? Should he begin troubling us we'll drop wooden floor on him.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: November 12, 2010, 02:09:59 pm »

I don't trust that floating elf. I recall something similar in another succession a while back, and it caused some problems.

I believe it was the original Eternal Halls and if I remember correctly it prevented them form getting sieges and ambushes or some such.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 109