Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 109

Author Topic: Halltraded succession game, (finished). (40d)  (Read 189757 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Halltraded succession game, (finished). (40d)
« on: August 03, 2008, 04:11:05 am »

This is the thread for the Halltraded succession game, it is listed in the Hall of Legends, and certainly worthy of a read-through. Halltraded was founded in a time when dwarves did not yet have to worry about forgotten beasts, underground caverns, or vampires, and on most maps, blue stuff. What it did have plenty of, are carp that could single-handedly kill an entire fortress, and apparently, burning suicide trade caravans.

If you want to load the fortress, you can find the old dwarf fortress version, DF 0.28.181.40d, at this link. A small warning: The fortress has grown into a complicated mess of mechanics, axles, magma channels, abandoned areas and aquaducts, and may run slowly on older machines.

Turn list:
1 : Bralbaard (finished)
2 : Christes (finished)
3 : Keldor (finished)
4 : NtheGreat(finished)
5 : Maggarg - Eater of chickens (finished)
6 : Zekris (finished)
7 : Christes (finished)
8 : Mashirafen (partly finished, no savegame posted -skipped)
9 : Blakekoris (finished)
10: Keldor (finished)
11: Bluerobin427  (finished)
12: Muno syoan  (partly finished, no savegame posted  -skipped)
13 : Christes  (finished)
14 : Bralbaard (finished)
15 : Maggarg - Eater of chickens (finished) 
16 : Glacies   (partly finished, no savegame posted  -skipped)
17 : (name here) (finished)
18 : Blakekoris (finished)
19 : NTheGreat (finished)
20 : Demonic Spoon (finished)
21 : Christes  (finished)
22 : Cheddarius (finished)
23 : Di (finished)
24 : Bralbaard (finished) 
25 : Zrk2(finished)
26 : Demonic spoon(finished)
27: Haspen (finished)
28 : Christes(finished)
29 : Bralbaard (finished)
30 : Kogut (current turn)

The game has ended..

------------------------
original first post:

I know that succesion games are usually started after everyone agrees on a starting location, and game setup.
My current game however has been very interesting so far, and I could turn it into a succesion game if anyone is interested (and if I actually survive the first year)

The Fortress is in a terrifying region, with a volcano and a huge river. The place is crawling with undead. On last count the place had around 80 of them:
31 zombie carp, 22 skeletal carp, 3 zombie fire imps, 3 zombie deer, 5 skeletal deer, 5 zombie pike, 1
skeletal Pike, 5 skeletal sea lampreys, 2 skeletal sea lampreys, 5 Skeletal sturgeons and one zombie sturgeon.
Also the skeletal carp are crawling the land.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 11:50:40 pm by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Halltraded, land of the skeletal carp (succesion)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 04:43:29 am »

Here's the story so far:

Bralbaard Bridgeriddles, self appointed leader of the dwarven expedition "The Rack of Wine" that was to found the city of Halltraded was standing on a lump of volcanic rock, with his fellow expedition members gathered around him.  The others were currently not too happy with his leadership.
"You can't be serious Bralbaard, are you sure this is the right spot?, have you been drinking too much wine again?" cried Inod Empireorb, the juweler, while gesturing wildly at the surrounding landscape. The dwarves were standing in the sulphurous fumes of a nearby lava lake on a slight elevation that offered a view of the terrifying landscape below. For as far they could see the landscape was covered with dead trees and bushes. The valley was cut in half by a huge river. There was not a living creature in sight, but the water was stirring with activity. Large undead fish jumped up out of the river, and even crawled up the shores and surrounding hills. In death, it seemed these creatures were no longer  bound to the water, the hills appeared to be crawling with skeletal carp.

"I'm not going fishing for those undead!", Cog Boltswelters the Fisherdwarf, cried out. Bralbaard, trying to sound convincing, replied: "Those undead can't be that bad, how much dammage can a fish do, once it's out of the water? Besides with these skeletal carp around we'll certainly be free of nobles and taxcollectors. They'll never come and visit us here with....

At this point Bralbaard was rudely interupted by a skeletal grizzly bear that jumped at him from behind a nearby hill. The creature hit Bralbaard full on, and send him flying into a nearby dead tree, Bralbaard dropped down and lost consiousness. There was no time to panick. Atír Apeboat,  the woodworker, and Ushat "Maggarg" Combinedcity, the woodcutter grabbed their axes and charged at the foul beast. The undead bear however slammed Atír aside with a mighty blow; the woodworker landed several meters away, unconscious, with his leg in an imposible position. The bear, not slowed down by this effort, now charged at Inod Empireorb, and bit of his left arm, the jeweler squeeled, and passed out. With three dwarfs down the remaining four saw that they would only survive this if they worked together.
Vucar Tonedsack the stoneworker, Besmar parchedbolt the fishcleaner and Cog bogswelters, jumped on the bear and tried to pin him down, while Ushat hacked at the bear with his axe, slowly taking the struggling undead appart bone by bone. Finally it stopped moving.

There was no way back now, with Bralbaard, Atír and Inod unconscious and in need of medical attention, they could not move on to settle elsewhere. Ushat yelled at the other dwarfs: "we need to do something quickly, before they all die!."Besmar! build them some beds!, Vucar!, grab Bralbaard's pickaxe and hack out a cave!"
"I'm a fishcleaner, I don't know how to build furniture!" Besmar complained. Ushat argued that Atír, the woodworker was unlikely to build his own bed while being unconscious and all, and that they had no choice. After a while Besmar showed up with three pieces of furniture that somewhat resembled beds, it was probably good that their occupants were unconsious and unable to complain about the quality. Vucar *tried* to grab Bralbaard's pickaxe, but despite the fact that their leader was unconsious he still held a firm grip on his pickaxe. Vucar pulled and pulled but it was impossible. The miner could not be seperated from his tool.

Luckily they brought a spare pickaxe, Vucar however did not seem to know how to use one. Digging through the hard felsite rock took the inexperienced dwarf forever. They put the beds in the small cave after it was finally dug out, and filled the rest of the room with food from the wagon.
 There was suprisingly little food, only a barrel with dog meat, a few fishes and some plump helmet. It wouldn't last untill halfway the summer (I started without selecting starting gear) There were a few small ponds away from the river, seemingly free of undead. Cog had spotted living (!) turtles in the water, and he and Besmar went turtle hunting. They struggled to keep up with demand from the fortress, it would however likely take longer to build a farm and irrigation, and get a harvest out of it. (I wouldn't know actually, I'm a newbie who never build a working farm before :-p)

On the 25th of Slate, mid-spring, the dogs suddenly started barking. When Ushat rushed outside to see what was going on both of them had already been killed by a skeletal pike. The undead fish had somehow climbed out of the valley, denying the waterbased life style of it's living brethren. Ushat destroyed the undead and sighed. At least they had more dog meat now.

The rest of spring and summer were marked by a few small attacks of undead foxes and racoons, the unholy carp and other dead fish mostly stayed down in the valley or on the hill on the opposite side of the river. The four remaining dwarves lost a lot of time carrying water and food to their hospitalized friends. As a result the fortress was build as compact as possible with stockpiles set up in every available space including the narrow corridors.

There simply was no time to dig out a large fortress. Meanwhile Cog and Besmar had developed a disliking to each other, and were yelling and swearing while processing the raw turtles. While everybody was busy with all this they also had to try and produce some trade goods for the caravan that would be sent after them from the homelands, it would arrive this autumn. The fortress barely produced enough food for it's own population, there would never be enough to survive winter if migrants arrived. Also they currently had no liquor production at all, they had even decided to give the unconsious dwarves water instead of beer, to stretch the little resources they had. They needed the trade caravan badly.

In early autumn disaster struck. While fishing, Besmar saw two skeletal carp crawling up the hill straigth towards the fortress, He quickly realized that he was the only dwarf that was not sleeping or unconsious. Unarmed, he threw himselves at the carp to break their unliving bones, the creatures leapt at him and bit him in the stommach and back, yet Besmar refused to give in. Determined to save his companions, he tore the creatures apart. After the battle he staggered home, collapsed on his bed and lost consiousness.

The other dwarves had still not healed, Besmar said the lack of beer must be the cause, every dwarf knew that drinking water was not healthy. Cog however claimed that the poor quality of the beds that Besmar had provided were to blame. Their relation was clearly not improving. There were now only three dwarves left that had to keep the fortress running, while also taking care of the wounded.
Finally however the trade caravan showed up on the horizon. Cog recognized from this distance that the redbearded, superdwarvingly tough Kib Halltraded was leading the trade expedition from the mountainhomes. (Is it usual for the outpost liaison to be named after the fortress or is this just an unlikely coincidence?). It seemed that the words "inaccessible site" seemed to be no part of the vocabulary of Kib, he seemed determined to steer two fully loaded wagons through the dense unholy forest towards the fortress. Cog, Ushat and Vucar had all ran outside to look at the caravan, they were all waving and gesturing to Kib to take another route but it was too late, the caravan ran straight into a large herd of skeletal deer. It was horrible. Screams filled the valley as the deer tore the first wagon to pieces. The second wagon turned around and fled back towards the mountainhomes, luckily all dwarves escaped unharmed. Only Kib Halltraded was determined to reach the fortress, if only to demand an explanation for the horrible situation here.  He fought himself a passage through the herd of undead and arrived at the fortress screaming with rage. When he opened the door to the fortress he suddenly stopped, as his rage was overtaken by confusion and utter disbelief, he had never seen such a mess. The entrance hall to the fortress was partly used as a hospital for the unconscious wounded population of the fortress, the rest of the room was used as a stockpile for random craftwork and furniture of the most appaling quality. A dwarf was busy trying to force-feed one of the unconsious dwarves a piece of turtle meat.
"I demand an explanation immediately!!" Screamed Kib at the dwarf. The fisherdwarf looked at him sheepishly. "All right, Urist, Tell me who is in charge here! the dwarf in charge will take full responsibility, Let me talk to him now!!". Cog pointed at the unconsious Bralbaard, the dwarf was snoring loudly, pickaxe still firmly grasped in his hands: "you'll need to talk to him, sir"
Finding a flaw in his own statement, Kib had no other option than to wait at the bed of the unconsious miner.

--Anyhow that's all so far, if I can get the stuff from the destroyed wagon without getting killed I should have a decent chance at survival. I'll try and take more screenshots, the next time around.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 09:34:03 am by Bralbaard »

iluogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Halltraded, land of the skeletal carp (succession)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:29:19 am »

nice story i'll take the next year if all your dwarfs aren't killed

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:32:08 am »

I've added you to the list. welcome!

I should be able to survive the year, no dwarfs have been killed yet, if only they would heal...
Anyhow, I decided that I needed an avatar for the forum, and drew a picture of Bralbaard. This is a picture of young Bralbaard, painted while he was still at the mountainhomes, well before he travelled to halltraded and got himself unconscious.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 01:16:49 pm »

We've started the construction of a new entrance to the fortress, the old entrance will be closed once it's finished. The new entrance will be wider and is more strategically placed. It should be able to handle more traffic, which actually is of no use at all, with the number of active dwarves we have right now. There are other advantages though, first and foremost is that we can smuggle all the loot from the destroyed caravan into the fortress without Kib Halltraded seeing any of it. The outpost liason is still in the current entrance hall/hospital/storage area waiting for Bralbaard to wake up. He's mad enough without us looting his caravan.
The caravan is filled with usefull stuff: plenty of barrels with wine and beer, cheese, plump helmets, and various kinds of meat. There's also an extra anvil, several weapons, some good pieces of armor, and *lots* of other stuff.

The only problem is that the wagon broke down far from the camp, it takes three days to haul a single object from the wagon and with only three of us we will never get the food inside before it rots away. We've dug out a temporary storage room below the wagon, where we can keep the food cool untill we have the time to drag it home.

Healthcare is still taking a lot of time and Ushat has started complaining:

The others are saying that she (I only now notished that Ushat's a she, but then, the difference is hard to tell) is acting like a *** but whe have no choice really, she's the only one that can mine and fight properly, so she is relieved of healthcare for now.
Ushat proved her worth by killing a few skeletal carp that were threatening to disturb our looting activities.

Immigrants have arrived! Why anyone followed us here is hard to understand, they're probably clueless about what they are running into, and they certainly are running into something. The 8 migrants are ariving from the same direction as the caravan did, and not suprisingly head straight towards the same herd of skeletal deer. The unholy deer instinctively jump on the weakest member of the immigrants, young Urist Gearedraked, a peasant. He is knocked unconcious and is bleeding badly. The other immigrants are too shocked too respond, except for one dwarf, with, given the situation, the rather unfortunate name of 'Tholtig Deerlashed'.  The other dwarves had been making fun of his name during the entire journey from the mountainhomes, and he seemed determined to prove them wrong. Deerlashed jumped on the skeletal deer with fierce determination, tearing of skulls, breaking bones and shattering spines. He single-handedly killed all four undead deer.

A new hero was born. Also the immigrants certainly had now received a proper introduction to the fortress. Urist is recovering in the hospital

According to our callendar winter should have arrived by now, temperatures however remain above freezing. Even the seasons here are unlike those at the mountainhomes. It has started raining though.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 01:49:05 pm »

Very amusing read. Good luck to you. Though, from experience, it can take years for some dwarves to fully heal.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 03:16:50 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 02:50:07 pm »

This sounds like a good challenge.  I'd be up for taking a turn if it gets there.

Ghib

• Bay Watcher
  • CATAPULTS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 02:54:13 pm »

((Out of curiosity.. how do you see the kills?))

View whoever's kills you want to see, [p]rofile, [z] thought and preferences, [k]ills.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 04:07:12 pm »

Very amusing read. Good luck to you. Though, from experience, it can take years for some dwarves to fully heal.

Besmar got out of bed when the season changed to winter, he still has a lasting injury to his spine though.

None of the others are badly wounded, save for Inod Empireorb who had his arm bitten off, and that is his only injury, which I guess, will never heal. the other injured are two dwarves with a single yellow wound, and one with two yellow wounds. They have had these injuries for almost a year now, I am convinced they are just being lazy.
I updated the player list.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 09:57:41 pm »

Heheh, I like it!  I'll sign up for a turn, provided there are any survivors left. ;D
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

darksaiyan

• Bay Watcher
  • Livin' with the dwarves since 2007
    • View Profile
    • The Game Reviews Database
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 11:44:46 am »

I don't want to join in the succession, but I would sure like to be dwarfed! Made me an axedwarf, I want to show those undead the true meaning of the AX.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 01:38:34 pm »

Without giving away too much about the drama that is unfolding right now, I must say that Halltraded currently has no axedwarves available, or anyone with skills with an axe for that matter, unless you want to start out unconscious. But there's a metalcrafter with the instructions to fight with his axe when called to arms. He actually LIKES carp:

I dwarfed you in his place.

Updated the players list.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:53:13 pm by Bralbaard »

Madcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 08:49:57 am »

I'd be interested in taking part, but am very new to DF, so no worries if you say no.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 10:07:04 am »

No problem, I'm a newbie to dwarf fortress as well :-). just found the game a month ago. And I did not play much before starting this game.
You're added to the list.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 02:32:50 pm »

With the arrival of the new migrants we are finally able to spend some time on improvements to the fortress. Cog claims that the small fishing lakes north of the fortress are depleted. There's nothing left to catch. We have to build a farm if we do not want to rely on the next caravan for food, Ushat has said that he will handle the job. 

Ushat "Maggarg" Combinedcity has been very busy with the new project. She has dug out several tunnels and caverns and ordered the construction of floodgates. For the last couple of days, she has been busy linking up the floodgates to a couple of levers. Nobody knows what she is doing, and nobody dares to ask.

After several weeks Ushat officially announced that her great project was finished and working. The results so far are that the lower mines have completely flooded. The level above is coated with a thick layer of mud. Luckily the mines were not infested with carp.  Ushat proudly spoke to the other dwarfs: "The plump helmets can now be planted" she claimed. Kib Halltraded, the fortress liason interupted her victory speech by claiming that plump helmets would have grown fine on the dry peat soil, that can be found throughout the entire fortress.
There was an awkward silence, after which everybody went back to work. It's clear that we have no capable farmers in Halltraded. (note to self, read the wiki before building stuff.)

Meanwhile the problems we have with the local undead are getting out of hand. Today Cog the fisherdwarf was being chased by a skeletal sturgeon, and was running for his life. Tholtig Deerlashed the immigrant hero was nearby, and did not hesitate for a minute. The dwarves had gotten quite confident in their battle skills and several skeletal carp had been killed in the last couple of months in one on one fights. Tholtig jumped between Cog and the sturgeon and tried to tear it apart. The sturgeon however seemed to posses faster reflexes when compared to carp, the fish dodged the attack and jumped towards Tholtig's throat. The battle did not last long. Tholtig did not even manage to scratch the sturgeon. The undead fish resumed his pursuit of  the fisherman, leaving the dead, broken body of Tholtig behind.

The drama had been visible from the fortress. The other dwarves grabbed their weapons and armor, and ran outside to help. Cog was still being chased by the sturgeon, and was now running circles around the lava lake. Ushat made a bad joke on how Cog was apparently too slow to outrun a dead fish on dry land, after which he ordered the rescue party to attack the fish. It did not go down easily. Ushat received several wounds, that luckily healed quickly.

Another dwarf has died. Kivish the weaver got pulled into the water by a skeletal carp. The dwarves have called the undead fish matchedescort for unclear reasons. We'll never now what Kivish was doing there. It happened far, far away from the fortress.
Apparently the taste of dwarfblood has made Matchedescort thirsty for more, it climbed out of the water and is searching for dwarves on dry land now.

A few days later Matchedescort killed a kitten. During a meeting of the rack of wine it was decided that the dwarves of Halltraded had to be more aggressive against the undead. On land, it seemed, one dwarf could kill a carp without much trouble, though sturgeons proved more dangerous. In and along the water however, the fish were superior. It was decided that Halltraded would no longer tolerate this fish-on-dry-land thing. Every fish that crawles out of the water has to be killed, or in the likely event that the fish happens to be already dead, destroyed. It will make the land safer for dwarves and maybe we can kill enough of them to deplete their numbers in the river as well.
The dwarves had just finished the meeting and switched to drinking beer, when they heard a huge explosion outside. They ran outside and witnessed a horrible scene. The area before the new frontgate was filled with smoke and fire, Tirist Guiselabor, the bowyer was rolling on the floor not far off, screaming and burning and finally going unconscious.

A zombie fire imp had crawled out of the nearby magma lake, and threw large balls of fire at the poor dwarf. Ushat struck the creature down from behind, but when she wanted to run towards Tirist a second imp rose from the magma, and hit her with a fireball. A third imp came from the depths, and finished of poor Tirist. Ushat was still able to fight but in trouble. Cog, Besmar and Darksaiyan charged into battle to help her. The zombie imps chose to attack Darksaiyan but he was able to dodge a fireball, taking only minor dammage from the claws of the other imp. With the imps distracted, Besmar and Cog managed to get a few good blows in, killing the infernal undead.

The wounds of Darksaiyan are only minor, he will heal in a couple of days, but Ushat is in a more serious condition, a wound to herlower spine and liver among other yellow wounds, we'll have to survive without our only miner, and best fighter for a while. Luckily she dropped her pickaxe before going to bed. Other good news is that there are no other fire imps left in the magma pit.

6 dwarfs are injured now. only a month remains of my rule.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 09:35:16 am by Bralbaard »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 109