Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game 2, Now accepting new deities!  (Read 25013 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game 2
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 07:15:37 pm »

THIS IS WAAAAAAAHR! ill enjoy this :D

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 10:22:45 pm »

A great crackling emanated through the hearts of the schools. During the nights, some flashes could be seen in the eerie waters. Clicks and snaps echoes through the muddy waters, driving every creature to shelter. This noise could only come from a massive amount of Shrike.

It was the Father School. The strong bodies of these hunters glided by eachother as they spoke. But with no noise they spoke. Only through the quick pulses of energy they spoke. While their communication was fast, they took several seconds to understand what was being said. And only if next to eachother. Thats why they school and collected together for communication. But their purpose today was more serious than mere chatter.

The first to speak to the group was a female Shrike, with strong limbs for her school.
 *Shrikes, everybody. Hunt gone. Stay? For no Hunt?*
 A reply was shared from near the bottom of the school, a seasoned bull Shrike with many years of scars.
 *We Hunt in Strangewater. We...*
 Now here, there was an odd occurrence. A word that everybody knows the meaning of upon it's creation was made.
 ... BE Hunt.*

The Shrike all click in approval, the energy of which causes a bit of silt in the water to flare up in the water. The Shrike became familiar with it after many large talks. They sense that it is of great power, but know it is far beyond what they could use in a hunt. This flare inspired a pup to use his hunters organ more than normal. Through years of neglect of his body, he has grown weak to many Shrike. Yet he carries something as mighty as any other hunter.
 *I lead Hunt. I get Hunt. This I say.*
 The old Shrike does a varied shock, showing doubt and general displeasure. He speaks up with a tone that others would call sarcastic.
 *You Hunt. You bring Hunt. You weak? How can you?*
 This was followed by a string of insults from the whole school, in doubt of this little ones ability to hunt. Granted every pup from his generation left him alone thanks to his shock blinding their senses, so nobody really knew of what he could do.
 *I challenge. I leader. I show.*
 The elder tensed up from this, preparing for a charge. That young one really wanted to attack him? Ha! Soon the whole school would know of the folly of moving away from their homes. The elder charged first, kicking way some other Shrike with his tail. The young one did nothing, noting the Shrike around him except for the female with the strong limbs stayed where she swam.
 Crackle!
 It was beyond a click, it was beyond anything they have ever heard. Their Hunters Organ each had something about them change. You know that feeling when you wake up, and your chest feels constricted? Like you can't breathe as fully as you should? The Shrike felt that way about their zaps. They saw their elder twitch violently, then slowly float up to the surface. They could still feel life in him, but from the young one was the feeling of power. The water around him was buzzing with a charge.
 *Now listen. Charge good. Charge, Change good. We change, we Charge. We strong. We Hunt.*
 The entire school started clicking approval, the whole school using zaps stronger than they used to in communication. They were ready to get better at zapping instead of ramming. Through relying more on the zaps, they would be better hunters. They would become THE hunters.

The water that night not only flashed and glowed with energy, but also hummed. A collective bad thought was felt by creatures of the bay, like a terrible thing was being unleashed.

The Southern School was going through a similar meeting that night. Most of the Shrike there were either good zappers or good hunters. No elder was there for staying put. They were meeting about finding a new home. Despite their feelings over their species, they were prepared to eat their own to survive. Only the old and sickly pups, however. They were prepared to expand their abilities to become tougher, more prepared to survive. However, as they were becoming more psyched to survive they started to loose their ability to communicate as a School. While tougher, they were started to grow apart, hunting more in small groups than in large collections.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 06:39:14 am »

Maintainence post here, with some comments.  First a quick word about my Kadesh.  I was just looking through past responses, and noticed the phrase "bloodthirsty Kadesh hunting parties".  They're herds of twitchy froggy scavengers that eat what they can gather and run from what they can't.  That said, with past responses about madness and my plans for them, chalk it up to violent insanity.

Now then, the Battle System.  Since this is a forum game, loose abstraction works fine, so it's just as detailed as it needs to be, and should work fine.  What I have to comment on though is the Numbers part.  Offensive armies are almost always a tiny slice of the population that raises them.  At the height of WWII, the actual uniformed military of the Soviet Union was about 5-10% of the populace, and that's an extraordinarily large number.

What you see happen in history is that advances in technology, including logisitics, makes armies shrink.  More people are needed to maintain the more advanced economy, and fewer soldiers can project more force.  What logistics are mostly about is letting an army stay in the field longer.  An aboriginal tribe counts every able male as a warrior, and can attack with about a third of it's population, for a few weeks.  The 200 million man army of China (which is a gross, hypothetical inflation) is still only about 15% of the most militaristic nation extant.  Obviously, a defending force will be far larger by default from partisans, but 50% would be almost impossible, and completely untenable for even a year.

Think about how many people in a society are involved in just keeping everyone living day to day, and how few people it takes to screw all that up.  The system seems fine, I just think the numbers should be smaller.

Damn I love to write essays.  I ought to do something with this amazing talent.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:41:49 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 04:36:13 pm »

Okay, I'll switch the numbers around-you will be able to send 75% of your total pop max, and with logistic/military tech every 1% of soldiers fights more efficent so it would actually lower the maximum you can send. Partisans will be lowered to 20%. Thanks for the help, i was using too much video game logic lol
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 02:40:52 pm »

Bumping again.  Alright, who are we waiting on here?  Sean, and a1s?

OI!

EDIT: Sorry, NonAnon.  I thought that was for the previous turn or something.  The change over confused things a bit.  The irony is I'm acknowledging this with a back-edit myself, thus guaranteeing further confusion.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 07:54:01 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 02:44:09 pm »

Yeah...I don't want to go ahead without them cause we're running out of players...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 04:24:31 pm »

"Cap'n, She's running outta player!"

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 07:29:02 pm »

Uhh...  I did edit my earlier post to fit the new circumstances, am I accidentally skipping a turn or something?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 04:11:29 pm »

I eventually had to scrape the details of my turn's effects from the third post with the descriptions. I assume the scouts were successful? What happened in the canyon? I can't roleplay without details.
Granted, I'm fairly awful at roleplaying in general, but having nothing to work on makes it worse.

If no additional info will be forthcoming, I'll make my turn as is.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 05:23:32 am »

Maybe less edits are more new posts? Saves the confusion of things. Cause once this game gets going again, *looks at a1s :P* it might be a bit hard to keep track of the turns without trawling through the recent posts a few pages back.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 07:20:44 am »

*looks at a1s :P*
:-[

I'll try to keep this moving, OOC at the moment, I will add RP and possibly expand the turn if it's not processed later today (or not. don't wait).

The worm seem most threatening to the plantwee (as it erodes soil), so there is a massive hunt for those (with ponty sticks!), they way you take down a worm is by forming a circle around it, and closing in from all sides, this requires better coordination (dveloped in the process)

5000 Plantwe from S23 settle R22 for reasons of basic landgrabing (plus that get's us closer to other species, but the Plants don't know this)
similarily 7000 Plantwe from T24 settle U25.

Finally, small number of all the new creatires are killed and tatsed for nutritional values.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 10:36:11 am »

Well i'm running numbers and writing up results right now.
Please Faulkner! I need the population program sent to me-or maybe one of you guys can make on for me. +1EP to the player who brings me a population program that works, so we can finally continue.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 10:40:57 am »

send him a private message, barring that go round to his house and steal his hard drive.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 03:22:30 pm »

a population program that works, so we can finally continue.
what are the criteria of it working? specifically, should it just be based on common sense, or does it need to be compatible with the results Faulkner had in the last thread?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 05:31:57 pm »

Faulkner says he's working on it, I should get it soon.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8