Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: DFPaint: A cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility in Java (Source released)  (Read 24996 times)

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got it working, finally, and it looks nice. The only complaint I have is that at least on my Windows machine, the last tile of the tileset is outside the window, and thus cannot be seen or clicked on.

EDIT: I mean the farthest-right column.
EDIT2: Same on my Ubuntu laptop.

For me, the bottom row is halfway out of the window.

Hmm.  I'll take a look at the code tonight or tomorrow afternoon and try to get an updated version up pretty quickly. 
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a request: Instead of a slider, just have all the colors laid out and clickable, like MS Paint (Yes, I just suggested that you do something like MS Paint does. Hey, it works.)
Also, if you could have some sort of "storage" space where you could save commonly-used tile/color combinations, that would be nice.
Oh, and a special tile that creates walls of the appropriate color that connect correctly would be nice, but not strictly necessary.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a request: Instead of a slider, just have all the colors laid out and clickable, like MS Paint (Yes, I just suggested that you do something like MS Paint does. Hey, it works.)

I thought about this, and nobody mentioned it so I didn't make it a priority.  I can make it happen at some point though.

Also, if you could have some sort of "storage" space where you could save commonly-used tile/color combinations, that would be nice.

If you shift-click a tile you've already painted, it will select that tile for painting with.  So you can use the main paint window as storage space.  Or do you mean between sessions?  I haven't set up anything persistent for DFPaint yet, or even really thought about it a whole lot (although I've been meaning to add saving/loading files to my to-do list).  This is doable, but probably longer-term than other stuff.

Oh, and a special tile that creates walls of the appropriate color that connect correctly would be nice, but not strictly necessary.

Good idea, and I think I can make it work.  I'll probably spend some time coding tomorrow afternoon and/or this weekend, so we'll see what I get done.

EDIT: I just realized that we could make this into the best fortress planning tool ever.

I missed this before.  I think it will take some improvement before it's really usable for fortress planning (scrolling, z-levels) but it could be awesome.  One thing that might be nice is a count of how many of each tile you've used (so, for example, you could use it to count beds).  Any other thoughts on how to make this awesome for planning?

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any other thoughts on how to make this awesome for planning?

One word:  Templates.
Now some more words to explain a bit:
Templates have been discussed before, and even if we don't get them in the actual game, having some system for templates in a fortress planner would be really cool.  Basically, you should be able to take a particular pattern you've drawn, and then save it in a reusable format that can be copied back into the fortress (or picture) multiple times.  So you could, say, make one Z-Level of a tower, then make it a template and just copy the template several times on different Z-Levels to make a tower really fast.
Fefeshnelmargalip

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

So, I think that instead of having a little checkbox that says "random" and only works for ground tiles, we should have a little drop-down menu called "Special" that has all the awesome little things like ground tiles and connecting walls. They would act like their own tile, but they would be the color of your choice.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

-Changed tile selection from a slider to a palette

Excellent
Excellent
Excellent

This is just what I needed; I need a tool to easily make DF scenes for my magic card set.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile

Magic cards, thats brilliant. Make sure you include the obligatory zombie elephants  ;D
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So when I unzipped the file on my mac instead of getting a nice bundled jar file, I got a folder full of the class files and the manifest file.  I was able to get the jar file created without much difficulty but when I try to run it I get:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its late and I'm too tired and lazy to figure out what's going on, so if someone could explain to me where I went wrong or if you could provide the jar file that'd be great.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So when I unzipped the file on my mac instead of getting a nice bundled jar file, I got a folder full of the class files and the manifest file.  I was able to get the jar file created without much difficulty but when I try to run it I get:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its late and I'm too tired and lazy to figure out what's going on, so if someone could explain to me where I went wrong or if you could provide the jar file that'd be great.

I think whatever you're using to unzip is being overzealous and unpacking the jar file as well (since a jar file is essentially just a zip file full of code).  DFFD won't let me put the jar file up, or I would have done that in the first place.  I'm also on a mac and I use 'The Unarchiver' to unpack things, I strongly recommend it over the built-in app.

Anyways, I think the error you're getting is because the jar file is in the wrong place.  Make sure it's in your DF folder at the same level as the DF app, and that you still have a curses_640x300.bmp in data/art.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile

This is a very neat utility. Thanks!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile

Heh this community rocks! I never thought things would get so far this quick when I dropped the idea in.

Are there any provisions yet to simulate combat in action yet? Things like bolts in flight. Injured or prone dwarves that sort of stuff.

It would be great fun if we could say plop down a fireball, drag a line from it to where it was launched and generate a stream of smoke to mark its flight path.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Any word on updates? I could really use some of those right-edge chars. I guess I could make a custom version of curses with those tiles closer to the center...

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile

Any word on updates? I could really use some of those right-edge chars. I guess I could make a custom version of curses with those tiles closer to the center...

Actually, you can select those tiles, it's just a bit of a pain. Just keep clicking right near the border and you should get it.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

This is a very neat utility. Thanks!

Ahah, as I see, you have a fully functional Army Arc there!  ;D

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry, I had real-life stuff to do and then got distracted by the Olympics.  I actually fixed the palette issue a while ago (I just made the palette window resizable until I work out the issues) but I was holding off until I got some features implemented.  I also did some optimizing on initialization (I was filling the window with blank tiles in pretty much the most naive way possible) which will make larger windows feasible, but it would take some UI coding to finish it up.  Additionally, the tileset has been theoretically selectable since the first version, but I have to write something up to update everything if you change tilesets.

I'll look at what I have code-wise this evening and probably put up a new version tonight, which would fix the palette issue but may or may not get into resizing the window, selectable tilesets, or MS Paint palettes.

Are there any provisions yet to simulate combat in action yet? Things like bolts in flight. Injured or prone dwarves that sort of stuff.

It would be great fun if we could say plop down a fireball, drag a line from it to where it was launched and generate a stream of smoke to mark its flight path.

For the foreseeable future you'll have to do this by hand, which shouldn't be too bad.  Everything the game can show you, you should be able to recreate with DFPaint, since the same colors and tiles are available to you.  For a prone dwarf, give them a brown background. Bolts are \, |, /, etc.  Smoke is various shades of "natural wall" tiles.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6