Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Now i just feel bad: problems with morals  (Read 13097 times)

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Now i just feel bad: problems with morals
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 08:38:39 am »

I'm supposed to feel bad about the randomly placed glass disc traps sperad throughout the outside of my fortress for random unicorns to blunder into? I've been doing it wrong.

But they're so tasty! and 100 monies for a basic totem?

I guess I can replace 'em with cages and sell the unicorns to the Elves...

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 10:34:58 am »

Yeah, you've been doing it wrong.  What you should be doing is caging them, selling them to the Elves, killing the Elves, taking them back, and THEN dismembering them ;)
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 01:09:13 pm »

Aww, but they're telling me to feel bad about that sort of thing! Sure, sending Elves into pitched frenzies of screaming madness is all kinds of hilarious, but it isn't very moral. Also, having an elk suddenly erupt in gore from 10 mastercraft glass blades carving him like an overstuffed turducken is about a beautiful as it gets, but that sort of thing is reprehensible.

What will my evil, gleefully laughing children think?

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 02:46:11 pm »

Tell them its a pinata. Moral issue solved.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 03:14:43 pm »

I'm glad all the DF players are not living in one district. It'd be the most dangerous district for the whole world.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 03:43:41 pm »

Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen.  :P
Fefeshnelmargalip

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 05:41:22 pm »

I'm supposed to feel bad about the randomly placed glass disc traps sperad throughout the outside of my fortress for random unicorns to blunder into? I've been doing it wrong.

But they're so tasty! and 100 monies for a basic totem?

I guess I can replace 'em with cages and sell the unicorns to the Elves...
Unicorns are the new elephants but not as powerful. do as you please! oh and i think we have all agreed the elves must die, brutally if possible
Aww, but they're telling me to feel bad about that sort of thing! Sure, sending Elves into pitched frenzies of screaming madness is all kinds of hilarious, but it isn't very moral. Also, having an elk suddenly erupt in gore from 10 mastercraft glass blades carving him like an overstuffed turducken is about a beautiful as it gets, but that sort of thing is reprehensible.

What will my evil, gleefully laughing children think?
moral? the elves were never moral! sure its reprehensible but its also hilarious! take that you evil flesh eater! i just have this bond with goblins ever since one sold me an elf in a cage. with no legs. he he
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:37:01 am by Jackrabbit »

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 07:24:54 pm »

I've never been much for random murder. The fact that everyone has a family makes it worse. I know it's silly to feel sympathy for little letters... but... I guess I'm just a sucker. To be quite honest, I like being an insufferable paladin which hunts down and slays great evils, at least when the alternative is chopping and torturing peasants to bits.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 08:50:57 pm »

Actually, it'd be the most dangerous district in hundreds of thousands of worlds, starting with 'Xah Rabin' The Dimension of Omen.  :P

Give the man a medal.  :D
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 08:59:29 pm »

I'm just impressed by people on the internet having morals.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 03:37:37 am »

I know. its weird

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 07:22:18 am »

I can honestly say this is the only game which has ever made me feel bad for the NPC's or the little sim entities.

I was once playing a fortress and I noticed there were 2 names listed as owners of a room, one of them was a dwarf who had been killed and when I zoomed to the other (her husband) I found him in the tomb engraving the tile in front of her grave (I'd marked the tomb area to be engraved).
Sure it was a coincidence but it was just a  :'( moment.

Another time one of my dwarves dug into a cave river. The lizard men and other various nasites swarmed out and would have killed him only his pet dog jumped over him and blocked them while he ran for the door, the creatures were chased off by the dog but he was in a bad state, he comes crawling out his back legs broken, bleeding and horrible injuries all over. He got to his owners feet then lay down and died.  :'(

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 07:36:04 am »

Can you even imagine another game where you'd get moments like that? Great stories, BTW.

In my case, I always like to play the good guy, too. Playing evil has never interested me (maybe I'm just too evil in real life). But planning an evil fortress is one thing. It's another just to kill off anything that causes you any difficulty. Part of the fun of roleplaying is to accept these things as an additional challenge.

So what if you've got a dwarf bedridden for life? Would you really just starve a hospital patient to death because it annoyed you to keep bringing them food and water? It seems to me that this is part of the game - and a good part, too.

Bill

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 09:50:30 am »

So what if you've got a dwarf bedridden for life? Would you really just starve a hospital patient to death because it annoyed you to keep bringing them food and water?

Yes, yes I would.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 12:53:56 pm »

So what if you've got a dwarf bedridden for life? Would you really just starve a hospital patient to death because it annoyed you to keep bringing them food and water? It seems to me that this is part of the game - and a good part, too.

Bill
Nah, I wouldn't.  Also, the bedridden ones make good Fortress Guards, but that's beside the point.

Now, the dwarf who had crippled him in the first place, however...
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.
Pages: 1 [2] 3