Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Holy shit! You can now expand the view!  (Read 38101 times)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit! You can now expand the view!
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2008, 07:10:28 pm »

What is the correct tile count for 1680x1050?

I'm using 1680/8 = 210 and 1050/12 = 87.5 = 87, but it's coming out all sketchy and crappy.

NEVERMIND.

It maxes at 200 apparently.  That's the issue.  Or at least part of it.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 09, 2008, 07:27:17 pm »

Apparently the proper size for 1680x1050 is 165x85

kein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress Wiki page
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2008, 07:42:34 pm »

Looks like Vaevictus (awesome job) has already made a javascript grid calculator for those of you having problems. Get it here, as well as calculation info.
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Custom_grid

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2008, 07:50:01 pm »

Edit 2:  Huh.  Is it weird that my paused FPS appears to cap out at the max of my GFPS?  Not that it really matters while paused, it's not like having less than 100 is going to affect anything, but weird...

It's not weird, it's the rendering that's slowing it down.  If DF is using the same algorithm as Kobold quest it's very cpu intensive, the cpu is working far harder than it needs to to generate opengl triangles for the graphics card.  Hopefully toady will sort it, there's no reason it should be noticeable.  With some clever texture tricks it could probably be made almost free.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2008, 07:52:26 pm »

Anyone have the problem where the cursor is near the top of the screen? that's a real dealbreaker for me.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2008, 08:44:50 pm »

According to the calculator my perfect grid area is 102x32, but if I've got it as that, I get this ugly, ugly look.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any way to fix?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Heron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2008, 08:49:09 pm »

Anyone have the problem where the cursor is near the top of the screen? that's a real dealbreaker for me.

Yeah, I'm getting that - it looks like the 'scroll that way' trigger areas are still where they used to be.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2008, 08:51:37 pm »

How would I calculate it if I want my tiles to be square?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #128 on: August 09, 2008, 11:28:03 pm »

Yeah, I'm getting that - it looks like the 'scroll that way' trigger areas are still where they used to be.

Toady addressed this in the 39f release thread and said the cursor will be properly centered for various grid setups in the next version.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2008, 11:16:53 am »

Ayup. Title screen looks off center, but if you start up a game everything gets centered properly.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2008, 11:51:09 am »

I just realized that 32x32 tilesets still wouldnt work in DF.
Example:
Even a 80x25 [smallest] grid size combined with 32x32 tileset would require a 2560x800 window.... :-[

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2008, 12:12:41 pm »

Maybe it's cause I'm rather sluggish today and am unable to think at a proper speed, but I don't really get this whole new setup.

My situation: I wanna play DF in windowed mode, but a bit larger than that default size. (maybe 2x as large). My screen res is 1680*1050 - so what do I need to change in order to NOT have it all messy with the tiles and the text tiny and squished up like hell? I noticed that you could have a bigger font size but that didn't really seem to work correctly either.

Been trying to play around with misc values but no success so far - maybe I'm forgetting something?

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2008, 01:58:17 pm »

Maybe it's cause I'm rather sluggish today and am unable to think at a proper speed, but I don't really get this whole new setup.

My situation: I wanna play DF in windowed mode, but a bit larger than that default size. (maybe 2x as large). My screen res is 1680*1050 - so what do I need to change in order to NOT have it all messy with the tiles and the text tiny and squished up like hell? I noticed that you could have a bigger font size but that didn't really seem to work correctly either.

Been trying to play around with misc values but no success so far - maybe I'm forgetting something?

I'd use this if I was you:
http://www.vaevictus.net/dfcalc.html

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 10, 2008, 05:38:26 pm »

Quick question for people who's had a chance to play around with this.

Assuming I'm just using the default fontset that comes with the game, what kind of changes can I do and still have everything look good? I see that 800x600 is the largest default font set. If I want to use a larger resolution, like 1280X1024, would I need a different tile set?

Also, earlier in this thread there was a list of calculations on the # of tiles you can have per resolution.
Is the default resolution 12x12 or something else?

1280x960
8x8: 160 x 120
12x12: 106 x 80
16x16: 80 x 60

So, I would be using this set-up with 106x80?

I'm not in a position to try it out for a bit, so I figured I'd find out what I should do ahead of time.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aggiedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 10, 2008, 07:17:14 pm »

Help! What am I doing wrong here. I doubled the vertical grid size to 50 as well as the windowy to 800. I am getting this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10