Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Holy shit! You can now expand the view!  (Read 38093 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit! You can now expand the view!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 09:37:03 am »

I think it's simple. Divide your res limits by tile size, and you get your screen size in tiles. For example, my 1280x800 LCD would only do 40x25 with 32x32 tiles.

But playing in a window of 12x12 tiles, I would get a glorious 106x66 size field. Me is happy. :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 09:38:37 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 09:38:35 am »

Right now in order to use 32x32 tilesets, the resolution must be 2560x800.
So now that Toady has changed the "display system" a bit, what resoultion would work with a 32x32 tileset?

The minimum size is still the same. So the minimum resolution is still 2560x800.

I thought that you wanted to decrease the window size so that you could fit bigger tiles on the screen. But you can't decrease the window size yet, only increase it.

Also, I finally have a reason to use my small tilesets! Hahahahaha! That's right, everyone. I can now fit way more on my screen with my little 8x8 tiles than you can with your 16x16 monstrosities.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 09:39:53 am »

Actually, I think Toady said "whatever numbers you want", so I think it could work the other way. The problem is the info screens - those wouldn't work.

And you still can't fit more than 40000 tiles on the screen, at any rate.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Ostsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 09:41:13 am »

It would be possible if you could stretch the screen across a dual monitor setup.  I don't remember if an OpenGL context would work like that, though.  It's been a while since I had two monitors set up. . .
Ostsol

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 09:43:58 am »

Heh, I wonder if anyone can make a 4x4 square tileset...  then I could fit the maximum size DF field on my screen... :D

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 09:48:06 am »

Heh, I wonder if anyone can make a 4x4 square tileset...  then I could fit the maximum size DF field on my screen... :D

Although this is the most amazing change that I never expected to happen, I'm not totally torn between dumping my really nice guybush 16x16 and going for something smaller or not.. I only have 1280x1024 (I guess I could do 80 by 64 rather then 25 but..)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 09:48:51 am »

and then go blind trying to play.
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Ostsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 09:49:22 am »

Those 6x6 tilesets make my eyes hurt already. . .
Ostsol

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 09:51:01 am »

I like Herrbdog's 12x12. Nice size for windowed mode. I used to use his 8x8 (or was it 9x9?), but it was too small for everyday use. And yeah, a 4x4 would be so tiny you'd never notice your dwarves among the rocks.

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 09:58:35 am »

Jaw dropped at this. So excited. I feel like a kid who knows he's getting something really awesome for Christmas and yet has to wait until Christmas morning.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 09:58:53 am »

Nice to have this if you have 1680x1050.
Now my question is..does this means that we could use 32x32 tilesets even, or that will come later on when Toady will separate the text/gfx stuff?

32x32 tilesets may make more room for creative art, but it does very little for the gameplay imo.  I have tried 32x32 (spread across 2 monitors in dual screen) for 2560*800 total.  Not worth the trouble.  I would rather have more tiles seen : e.g. 80x64 16x16 tiles on a single screen.  (The other screen is reserved for utils like foreman or dwarf companion :) )

Looking forward to next release...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 10:10:08 am »

Nice to have this if you have 1680x1050.
Now my question is..does this means that we could use 32x32 tilesets even, or that will come later on when Toady will separate the text/gfx stuff?

32x32 tilesets may make more room for creative art, but it does very little for the gameplay imo.  I have tried 32x32 (spread across 2 monitors in dual screen) for 2560*800 total.  Not worth the trouble.  I would rather have more tiles seen : e.g. 80x64 16x16 tiles on a single screen.  (The other screen is reserved for utils like foreman or dwarf companion :) )

Looking forward to next release...

Well yah but 32x32 looks so much better. Guess I will start to work on a 32x32 set soon. It will be good for people who has big natural resolution [1680+]
..however theres no point in making it public until txt/gfx is not separated and we cannot make gfx for everything. This ascii/tileset mixing is just plain horrible to be honest, this is why I am still playing in full ASCII mode. I either prefer full graphical mode or full ASCII mode.
Either way thanks for this change Toady, it was really needed.  8)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:14:45 am by Tormy »

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 10:17:13 am »

Yes, this coupled with a dual monitor setup will lead to several sleepless nights. Oh this is gonna rock so hard

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 10:29:32 am »

best news evah! plz release asap  ;D

also, would 24x24 tiles work, or is it strictly 4,8,16,32?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 10:33:42 am »

best news evah! plz release asap  ;D

also, would 24x24 tiles work, or is it strictly 4,8,16,32?

I think it should work, since its a multiple of 4.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10