Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Holy shit! You can now expand the view!  (Read 38209 times)

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit! You can now expand the view!
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2008, 12:19:50 pm »

I'm guessing that LordNightmare's and Zarasutra's 4x6 character sets will rise in popularity soon.

was that irony?  :D
im on 1680 and i have to press my face to the screen to read those..

my guess is that it's larger than 16x16 tilesets that will rise in popularity.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2008, 12:21:50 pm »

I'm guessing that LordNightmare's and Zarasutra's 4x6 character sets will rise in popularity soon.

was that irony?  :D
im on 1680 and i have to press my face to the screen to read those..

my guess is that it's larger than 16x16 tilesets that will rise in popularity.

It all depends. Some people will want to use smaller tilesets so they can expand the view and fit a ton more on their screen.

Some people will want to use bigger tilesets once they can decrease the size of their screen, so they can have big tiles.

I say that both extremes will rise in popularity.

Glaughdram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2008, 12:35:23 pm »

The size of tile and graphic sets are not directly related to output display resolution; Dwarf Fortress already scales tiles to fit the display size it is directed to use. The TEXTURE_PARAM setting in the init dictates what kind of scaling to employ: LINEAR scales smoothly while NEAREST is comparably sharper.

I have long used my own 128x128 tileset (a 12MB 2048x2048 bmp), and with it I use a 16x16 graphics set. The game flawlessly scales both sets to the appropriate dimensions according to the output resolition in init.txt, and it displays perfectly at any resolution.

As well I get no penalty to performance, although some graphics hardware may incur a speed hit if it's not up to the task. Display fidelity will also vary among graphics hardware.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2008, 12:35:29 pm »

Heh, I'll probably revert to using 16x16 - at my screen resolution of 2048x1536, that's a nice 128x96 tiles - and if I went any smaller, I'd need a microscope to play...  16x16 is already pretty small at 2048x1536!  After all, with 128x96 tiles, the vertical direction is already bigger than the old horizontal direction was!

If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2008, 12:41:28 pm »

I have long used my own 128x128 tileset (a 12MB 2048x2048 bmp), and with it I use a 16x16 graphics set. The game flawlessly scales both sets to the appropriate dimensions according to the output resolition in init.txt, and it displays perfectly at any resolution.

128x128, damn. im interested in how well it scales, care to post a screen?
would be nice to see what your tileset looks like too.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2008, 12:42:39 pm »

The size of tile and graphic sets are not directly related to output display resolution; Dwarf Fortress already scales tiles to fit the display size it is directed to use. The TEXTURE_PARAM setting in the init dictates what kind of scaling to employ: LINEAR scales smoothly while NEAREST is comparably sharper.

As well I get no penalty to performance, although some graphics hardware may incur a speed hit if it's not up to the task. Display fidelity will also vary among graphics hardware.

You're the only person who I've seen explain that for me. Even the wiki didn't help. Thank you!
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2008, 12:44:32 pm »

Just a random thought - Poor Markavian will have to bump up his max filesize for movies on the map and movie archive by quite a bit, since no doubt everyone will be using at least 2-4x as many tiles per frame!
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

kein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress Wiki page
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2008, 12:51:09 pm »

Fantastic news, something to motiviate me to release my 12x12 and updated 8x12. Since I'm happy with those since this update is just about out I may give a 5x5 a shot since there doesnt seem to be one yet... and I like the number 5.

Praise the mighty Toady One

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2008, 12:53:17 pm »

I'm thinking that another kind of tileset may surface - the "wider than high" variant, so that more tiles can be packed in the limited vertical resolution of the widescreen LCDs.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2008, 12:53:31 pm »

Something tells me movies are going to be broken for a release or two, just because it will require some massive changes. I mean, how will it handle playing a movie that was recorded in a resolution bigger or smaller than the current resolution? I guess it could just shrink it, but that kind of goes against the whole ASCII thing.

And this is amazing. I am very happy... !!!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2008, 01:02:19 pm »

I think Toady said recording movies is broken for nonstandard res. If they do work right now, I'd expect them to only record the old 80x25 area of the screen - which is still nice, you can have full-size movies without the menu panel in the way.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Glaughdram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2008, 01:26:17 pm »

128sq. tileset, displayed at 1280 horiz.
Spoiler: title (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: gameplay (click to show/hide)

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2008, 01:36:15 pm »

128sq. tileset, displayed at 1280 horiz.
Spoiler: title (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: gameplay (click to show/hide)

title screen looks real nice!
in the gameplay screen the tiles looks fairly ascii-like, is the font the reason you use such large size?

Glaughdram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2008, 01:46:04 pm »

Indeed, that is the reason. But I also prefer the ASCII look to a graphic representation. The tileset is unfinished, so all the characters other than alpha-numerical remain blocky.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2008, 01:55:31 pm »

O
M
G

:o :o :o :o

DO WANT!  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10