Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: DwarfHeightmap 1.2 - a program to import heightmaps into Dwarf Fortress  (Read 44174 times)

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: DwarfHeightmap - a program to import heightmaps into Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 11:50:21 am »

requires .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 TO RUN

Aaaaaaargh!

Oh Win2k... you've been so good to me but it may be time to move on  :'(
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 11:57:34 am »

Wow! Can't wait to try it!
According to some conversion estimates, a full-size DF world is 100x100 miles. That's big enough to comfortably include all of the big island of Hawaii. The Island Kingdom is much larger and all you could really get is a small sector of the coast.

The scary thing is that 100x100 does not include even all of the LA basin. It does include a significant portion of Manhattan Island.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 11:59:19 am »

But of course, it's fun to put the entirety of the USA into it, for teh lulz.  Or revealing pictures of your girlfriend.

Fun thing to do: Use Paint.Net or equivalent to create a black-white-black gradient, from top to bottom, and import it as temperature.  Instant equatorial and polar regions.

Edit: just added superfun instructions.

-Angry Lawyer
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:14:15 pm by Angry Lawyer »

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 12:19:04 pm »

I wonder if I could get a height-map of Seattle and the surrounding area, then place a fort at the Ivar's where we had the meet-up... :D
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 12:20:44 pm »

You can, if you follow this tutorial:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27052&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=5956f60efde183813f003326d2b8a301

It's how I did the UK map.

-Angry Lawyer

Nahno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 04:06:32 pm »

This program requires .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 TO RUN

The one problem I have with third party anything for DF is the "Windows only (mostly)" part.
Guess I'll have to write it all myself, if I want to avoid porting, Wine, and the like. :P

~ Nahno, Mac user

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 08:14:33 pm »

This program requires .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 TO RUN

The one problem I have with third party anything for DF is the "Windows only (mostly)" part.
Guess I'll have to write it all myself, if I want to avoid porting, Wine, and the like. :P

~ Nahno, Mac user

Parallels.

Anyway, moving on.  I toyed around with it a bit and am currently working on a crater world.  Up to 4500 rejects (didn't manually turn things off like "number of ocean regions" and such) and am down to the "no controlable civ" abort, which is odd, seeing as I have TONS of mountains.  Guess they just aren't ending up neutral.

Just went and added new maps for temp (linear gradient with some scatter) and savagry (a spiral with some scatter).  Still not sure what the rainfall should be on a map like this, so that rejection is still showing up.

Temp (deserts) reject came up.  Hm...I did do a black to white gradient and used the default scaling....Forest reject, yeah, the whole "everything is a ring" will do that.  Ditto mountains, oceans, grassland, and hills.

4000 rejects again.  Probably failing the savagry biome count.  Oh well.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 08:18:57 pm »

Goddammit, I'm on Vista so the .NET thing doesn't work for me.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 10:13:23 pm »

Gentlemen, BEHOLD!

I had a devil of a time resizing the image to post here, but it's mostly intelligible now.   This was my fourth attempt or so.  At first I was using a rainfall map I found, but it was giving me vast swathes of desert and almost no forest so it was no good.  I guess I'd need to recalibrate it.  I had to turn pretty much all rejects off, and the heights could still use some fiddling, and I'd prefer to not have the entire ocean evil, but it works.
I could probably stand to fiddle with things a bit more.  There are over 7000 elves. 

EDIT:  Mountains right next to ocean = INSANE CLIFFS.  Everyone who complains about the lack of shear cliffs?  I GOT CLIFFS.  I got cliffs like 89 levels high.  They were kind of sloped at the top, but gave way to shear walls.  I was walking along in adventure and the ground just up and stopped.  Also, did you know there is fog in this game?  I was walking along and suddenly could only see five squares around me.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 10:27:04 pm by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 10:45:09 pm »

Huzzah!  My CraterWorld genned!

3D image under spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Best part, I think, is that I have a dragon who's being worshipped!  She's one of the few remaining megabeasts alive and has somewhere in the vicinity of 50 worshippers.  No associated religion as far as I could tell, but it was still awesome.  I went hunting for one of her worshippers, but couldn't find any (not that I'd be able to talk to them about it anyway).

Oh, and to get the map to not reject because of no dwarf civ I had to do this to my savagry, which made things interesting:

I used two spiral gradients (one black-alpha-black, one white-alpha-white on top of a white background) in GIMP and overlayed them on top of each other and then tweaked the balance so there was a lot of middle ground (neutral savagry).  Ended up with no less than 10 (!) dwarf civs by year 300 (and two and a half pages of civs in Legends mode, and just enough to fill the first page for adventuring--a retired adventurer shows up on the first line of page 2).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 11:06:18 pm »

Still messing with this, but when I'm done, I'll have a set of grayscales from some models I was working on a while ago. My own, custom-made random worlds!!!

Oh, and JoRo, if you ever use ImageShack again, I will break your kidneys. Seriously, there is the DFFD for that sort of thing. Besides that, awesome Washington. There should be a succession game right where Toady One's house is.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 01:25:05 am »

Surely Vista should be able to run it naturally, as C# 2008 is built to work with it?

In theory I could plug together a terminal version of the app, but I need to be drunk enough to try it.

Still - would people appreciate having it automatically zero out all minimums to avoid rejects?

Fiddle with the offset and the ratio fields to pump up rainfall amount if your worlds are being too dry.

-Angry Lawyer

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 01:41:40 am »

Still - would people appreciate having it automatically zero out all minimums to avoid rejects?

Yes!
However....
*snip*
Sort version:
Make each one just a checkbox mark so we can decide if we want to have the reject checks.  I know that for a height map I'd want to check for peaks so I can adjust the offset and/or redo the map.

As a secondary thought:
Would it be possible (and relatively easy) to have a separate spot to list all the worldgen options available for editing?  It'd be really handy to go "yes, make sure there are oceans, but I need this many bordering the edge" instead of having to use DF's list.  I get lost in there sometimes.
Have it laid out so that you can view just one type at a time, i.e. a tab/button to show and edit all elevation based parameters, one for savagry, one for rainfall, etc.

Trinary thought:
The mesh weights could even be done as sliders!  Basically some visual feedback on the relative weight.  1:1:1:1:1 is the same as 3:3:3:3:3, but as text they look different.

Of course, this isn't to say that Toady's way is bad, I just feel it could be better.  GUI for the win?

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 03:25:57 am »

I'll make sure I add an options screen when I refactor my code next week, and I'll add sweet, sweet sliderbars for you to use.

-Angry Lawyer

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 03:55:06 am »

I haven't got .net 3.5 and I don't plan to, so could someone please generate a world based on New Zealand.

An elevation map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Help is greatly appreciated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10