Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turning off a tile's occupancy flags and other issues after teleporting  (Read 1048 times)

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I've been using dwarf companion heavily to save my masons when they wall themselves in, my fort's children when they fall to their near-deaths by tearing down the tiles underneath themselves etc. Unfortunately, in one case, I "rescued" a mason and his two war dogs from tiles which I intended to turn into walls. Now I can't do that, as the game still believes the tiles to be occupied. How do I disable occupancy flags?

Also, after recently teleporting one of my masons, he became unconscious and exhausted. I tried healing him and fixing his stats, to no avail. What should I do?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Turning off a tile's occupancy flags and other issues after teleporting
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 02:22:10 am »

Tweak's tile edit utility will allow you to set the tile's occupancy flags, but make SURE you set the temperature of the tile every time you edit it - for some reason the tile editor defaults the temperature to 0, and displays the current temperature below that - so you basically have to copy paste it over before you click OK. It's also a good idea to check the tile again to make sure the current temp is still showing normal. I also advise saving before you do it and then having a dwarf run to the spot afterward to make SURE its safe - I fixed an issue with a bugged item using the tile edit and the tile still killed someone even though I had set the temp - it still somehow got set to 0.

If a tile is 0 it will kill any dwarf stepping into it, and remain that way forever if its underground.

As for the mason being unconscious, you might try using dwarf companion to check the dwarf's flags. I don't know much about the flags, but you could try comparing them to another dwarf's flags and try to see if any of them might be causing the issue.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:56:44 am »

Both of these issues can be easily solved by:
1) Not designating two side-by-side remove-floor tiles.  That's just ASKING for killing whoever's doing it.
2) Building walls in a way that doesn't constantly trap your mason.  If you have to build a box with no entrance and you don't want the mason inside, have him leave the inside of the box before you build the last tile.  In theory he should, according to the devlog, build it from his side.  If not, you can build a wall on the other side but suspend it before anybody builds it.  Constructions, even ones that aren't built, block the position they sit on for building nearby stuff.
It's only common sense...  Why rely on a third-party program that can cause major bugs such as this in your game when you can simply change what you're doing a tiny bit and not have to worry about it?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:49:39 am »

Paul, thank you for the information. My mason actually recovered after a few minutes.

jaybud, I assure you that in my particular case, it's impossible to avoid getting my dwarves stuck.

"If you have to build a box with no entrance and you don't want the mason inside, have him leave the inside of the box before you build the last tile."
Tried that, doesn't work. As far as I've seen, dwarves reliably build things from the north and from the west, meaning that if I need my dwarf to build from the south in order not to trap himself, there is no way I can get him to do that. Granted, I'm not using the latest version, for very good reasons.

In any case, I'll try using Tweak's utility. I hope it's compatible with v0.27.169.33g.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:47:47 am »

Tried that, doesn't work.
 <snip>
I hope it's compatible with v0.27.169.33g.

Well there's your problem.  Why are you still on 33g?  In 39e masons build from the first adjacent tile they touch.

DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 12:15:51 pm »

I started the Canyon Engineering Challenge in December, and due to various difficulties, have not yet managed to complete my team's bridge (well, my bridge, since the other player in the team dropped halfway through). If 33g and 33e are compatible, great! I'll upload the new version.

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 06:43:45 pm »

Depending on the circumstances, you can often build supplemental walls or an door to fix the boxed-in issue.  Just build the door where the dwarf insists on standing for that final wall, then forbid it.  Granted you'll have a door inside the box but that's better than a trapped mason.  If having the door closed will be a problem connect it to a lever first - then you can open the door from the outside after you build the final wall.
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:37:39 pm »

In the newer versions you can usually get a mason to build from outside fine by suspending the construction and restarting it.

Also, it could be coincidence that they finally obey me after I do it, but I find setting the side I don't want to restricted seems to help.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link