Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Wallpapers  (Read 15687 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Wallpapers
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 03:22:39 am »

Hello, mr. Caretaker.
Your fancy one is terrific =). I mean, terrible. I don't see a lot of guys saying such a thing, I think they are afraid to hurt you. I don't since I think it would be more educational/good for you to know.
I don't want to insult you or say it without any reasons.
A few ideas why is it bad:
1) It is white. Many people will skip it because bright wallpapers really may hurt eyes.
2) It has different pics of different a) quality; b) color scheme, and they are definitely were cut and pasted on the white background which makes them to look more |unsuitable|.
3) The last one is ok, it's nice but white, so some people will use it, some not.
4) You did it for yourself so don't listen to me if you want to
And if any of you don't like this, just tell me, I'll destroy it.
Just plain NO. Keep it. Look at this after a few years and you will see what do I mean. Or maybe you will be even more sure that it was right. Just don't kill your works just because others don't like it.

And I was mostly feared of this:
I spent a few hours
But still thank you for a nice picture and your desire to share. I am sure it will help a lot of us.

At least it was useful for me.
I've made this wallpaper for me.
I will share it in this thread, maybe others will like it too.

And guys, don't be so tolerant to me as you were to Caretaker. If there are terrible things just tell me, I want to know what I am doing wrong.
It's for a widescreen 1280x800 but it can be cropped, I left a space for it

[EDIT] I put the Shanty's name in since he's the original author of the picture.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:28:01 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 09:36:14 pm »

i agree with Deon. They would look better on a black background. Keep at it, i see a lot of potential. i would love to see your next one

Caretaker Eric

• Bay Watcher
  • You do the voodoo that you do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 08:49:11 pm »

Oh, no, no, no, no. I've admitted in several places, various threads, and to my friends it basically sucks. Don't think I'm a naive ickle boy who needs praise and encouragement. And trust me, I took the older posters' comments with a lot more negative force than even they probably intended. Anyway, I did them because I hadn't slept for a few days and needed something to do, and mucking about in Paint is mindless, if not a little entertaining. Also, simply putting that picture into an inverse colors set-up makes it look fantastic.
The voodoo that I do in this case is run down children with a helicopter, swinging away at them with a gigantic ball menacing with spikes of magnetite.

"And you can get moose silk naturally or through a botched smelter reaction." - Kagus

"Dwarf Fortress: Using waterwheels to power your pumps to power the waterwheels." - kernel

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 09:47:45 pm »

I know the feeling. i was being honest though and not trying to coddle you. regardless if you like doing it keep at it but don't be embarrassed if i use Deon's instead.

grey9

• Bay Watcher
  • maker of red 2's
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 02:28:38 pm »

i had a friend make this one for me about my main military dwarf
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 02:32:25 pm by grey9 »
i cant make a labyrinth i dont understand pressure plates

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 03:54:42 pm »

I've found the exported world maps make for excellent backgrounds.
Pages: 1 [2]