Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: /V/ Succession Game!  (Read 16818 times)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: /V/ Succession Game!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 10:11:00 am »

I'm in, I have always wanted to try a succession game

quote:
This may be 4chan, but lets try not to be to stupid about this.

That made me laugh. How about this:

Max 100 dwarves.

No bridging the river until the mayor shows up.
No bridging the chasm until the trade minister shows up.
No bridging the magma until the treasurer shows up.

No digging for adamantine ever.

Every leader should nickname one dwarf. This dwarf will be the character who is the elected leader/foreman/whatever. No being a jerkass and murdering other peoples' characters.

How does that sound?

edit: We should decide on a climate, too, as well as whether or not we're using any mods. I say no to reveal.exe (and the like) and maybe to the wildlife mods. I also suggest that we go with an area that has at least some trees. Areas with unicorns, ogres, werewolves, elephants, and skeletal beasts are always fun.

[ September 18, 2007: Message edited by: Koji ]

Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Nekose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 10:25:00 am »

Sounds good to me. Everyone else okay with those rules?

I'm open for ideas on the site, but wildlife always makes things more interesting for the audience.

Lets go for a vanilla build, just to make things easy. Graphical mods and custom tile sets should be fine though. Most of you will probably want to include screen caps in the logs but I don't think it will matter to much if they look a little different.

As for the play order, I'll cut off sign ups at some point later tonight and make a random list just to be fair.

After that I think we'll give each person a week at the most to play through their turn. Take your time and take notes/screencaps while you play to document stuff well.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 10:33:00 am »

>Max 100 dwarves.
K.

>No bridging the river until the mayor shows up.
Crossing the river is usually one of the first things I do in most of my games. =(

>No bridging the chasm until the trade minister shows up.
>No bridging the magma until the treasurer shows up.

I can live with that.

>No digging for adamantine ever.
Naturally.

>Every leader should nickname one dwarf. This dwarf will be the character who is the elected leader/foreman/whatever. No being a jerkass and murdering other peoples' characters.
Cool.

>I'm open for ideas on the site, but wildlife always makes things more interesting for the audience.
As long as there's at least a half-decent supply of wood (trees) available I'm ok with whatever you pick. And don't pick a site without trade routes,

>Lets go for a vanilla build, just to make things easy. Graphical mods and custom tile sets should be fine though. Most of you will probably want to include screen caps in the logs but I don't think it will matter to much if they look a little different.
Ok. I'm playing DF vanilla mode anyway. =)

>As for the play order, I'll cut off sign ups at some point later tonight and make a random list just to be fair.
Sounds good. Though after you make the initial list I suppose it's ok to let new people in. They'll just have to wait at the bottom of the list. =3

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 10:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nekose:
<STRONG>I'm open for ideas on the site, but wildlife always makes things more interesting for the audience.</STRONG>

For sure. We need plenty of engravings of skeletal elephants ripping dogs in half.

Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 11:03:00 am »

This still open for volunteers? Always wanted to play a succession game  :)

whatsssss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 11:04:00 am »

Hay guyz I've never played before can I join :O)

Nekose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 11:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by whatsssss:
<STRONG>Hay guyz I've never played before can I join :O)</STRONG>

To be honest, if you havent played the game before this might not be the best time to join in.

I get off of work at 9:30pm tonight PST. I'll make one last post to /v/ to remind people, then i'll roll the random list to see play order.

Anyone who wants to play after that is welcome to, they'll just be added to the bottom of the waiting list first come first served.

I think the waiting to breach rules seem a bit to much personally. I like to build on the far side of the river fairly early as well. Getting to the chasm or magma to early can be dangerous, but we can probably just leave it to the players to know when they're ready.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 12:07:00 pm »

Allright.

I'll probably be going to sleep in about... three hours from now (lol timezones), so if you put me first on the list you'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Oh and a PROTIP for, well, everyone really: even if you're not on the list, or it's not your turn yet, that doesn't mean you can't play! You can always download the save file and mess with the fortress. Your actions won't count for the succession game, but you can still play around with it. Personally I'll probably be downloading every savefile even if it's not my turn just to see ingame how things are going.

Oh, and I just thought of a very useful rule: If you build switches, keep some kind of record or something on what the switches are connected too. Don't want someone to accidentally hit the "flood the world with magma" switch thinking it's the irrigation switch, or something like that.

Nekose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 12:17:00 pm »

I should be able to snatch some space on the wiki for us to post our logs. I'll find out later.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 01:50:00 pm »

EDIT: What the...?  Double over two threads. How odd.

[ September 18, 2007: Message edited by: Rictus ]

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 03:33:00 pm »

Could I join? I've never played a Fortress Mode succession game before, but I don't think I'd do a horrible job.
quote:
Originally posted by Nekose:
<STRONG>I should be able to snatch some space on the wiki for us to post our logs. I'll find out later.</STRONG>

Of course you can! If you don't, and post the logs where we can see them, someone might put it in the wiki for you, though.

Suggested rules:
Granite.exe with hide.exe is allowed to remove ugly ore and gems in walls, but the gems/ore must be mined out first to avoid waste. (note: always haul the ore/gems/stone/item away from the square before graniting)

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Nekose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 11:49:00 pm »

Alright guys. Those of you who want to play make sure your name is on this list.

Aargh
Kjoery
Nekose
Koji
Rictus
Savok

Im going to put one last post onto /v/ to get some more attention. After that I'll take any last minute additions and roll off for the turn orders.

Black Mage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »

Black Mage here. I'd like to participate.

Svarog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2007, 01:42:00 pm »

NOTICE:THANK YOU FOR NOTICING THIS NOTICE
YOUR NOTICING OF THIS NOTICE HAS BEEN NOTICED AND REPORTED TO THE AUTHORITIES.
P.S.
Hello.

thatguy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »

I'm incredibly intrigued and interested.

Sign me up.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15