Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floating goblins (Dead and alive) 39e  (Read 2834 times)

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
Floating goblins (Dead and alive) 39e
« on: August 05, 2008, 06:50:49 pm »

I've noticed that occasionally while engaging in large battles when a goblin gets sent flying it occasionally freezes in mid-air. I had a siege where a live goblin got smacked against a wall and then just hung there. None of my guys attacked it, it couldn't move and when I deconstructed the walls and channeled out the floor beneath it, it remained suspended in mid-air. I had it happen again later on a natural wall, and even no-wall. With the live goblin it prevented the siege from ending despite all the other goblins fleeing. With the dead goblins a siege will end.

I'm curious if there is anything I can do. I do have a save with (presumably) dead floating goblins.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Floating goblins (Dead and alive) 39e
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:10:30 pm »

Well I'd send that save to toady and for the time being,give those marksdwarves some target practice.

If they can't attack it... setup a catapult/ballista and open fire!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 07:57:00 am »

That's odd -- what was the original wall type?  A fortification or a regular wall?  Fortifications might act weird.  That said, it should drop especially if there's nothing there, so I should probably take a look at the save.  I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 08:39:45 am »

Actually Toady, the eternal succession game has that glitch as well.
After Aqizzar's turn a goblin stayed floating in mid air. the save is there. allow me to dig it up.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=377 here is one save file.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:43:52 am by chaoticag »

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 11:00:29 pm »

There is also another thread about this same thing happening. Oh, and for me it was once on a constructed wall, twice on a natural stone wall and once in mid-air. Perhaps Aquizzar shed some light onto why it's happening there.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22504.0
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 11:03:08 pm by Paulus Fahlstrom »
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

RandomHajile

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 01:34:13 pm »

I have the same thing going on in a 170 Dwarf Fortress, and I'm stuck in Siege mode.  I had a caravan visit happen right before a siege and the caravan guards must have knocked this goblin into the air.  Doesn't show up on the unit list (unless he's dead...but I didn't catch his name).  I have used Tweak, Companion, and Foreman in the past (this is my first fortress...I've become very attached to it {I know, losing is fun, but still}...).  I have an incoming King listed, needing offerings, but no caravans will visit under the siege.  I wish there was a way to just clear the siege flag or something.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 02:51:39 pm »

I have the same problem - version 40c.
Here is unconscious goblin spearman floating in the air:

His group ambushed human caravan and got killed by the guards.
He shows in "Look around" (k key), but doesn't show in "View Units" (v key) mode. He also shows in the Units List (u key), but when you zoom to him, it zooms to another guy.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

RandomHajile

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 08:02:57 pm »

Just had a Bronze Colossus show up, so I guess megabeasts don't care about permanent sieges....actually, come to think of it, I had a Dragon show up at the same time as a siege once before.  Most of the goblins and trolls were turned to ash before they even got to my front hall.