Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Absent pre-1400 technologies  (Read 46421 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Absent pre-1400 technologies
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2011, 02:57:31 am »

Ah, I recall one of threetoe's story in which a human had gotten a crossbow from a dwarf, although it was vaguely hinted at and not plainly said as I have done. I believe the rate of fire between crossbows and bows is roughly half.

How much CAN someone decrease reload time with skill.

I remember one time in an arguement where I was saying Chris could beat Captain America because of his accuracy and said his reload speed isn't so little that it would be a great advantage to Captain America.
-He has Human peak reflexes, so no it didn't stop with "The shield can deflect everything".

An Actual military person who trained troops came and gave his say and at the time I took it. Basically he gave reload speed at 5 second and said accuracy is lost when a target moves at 30MPH (Cap can move at 50)

THEN however later I found out that Olympic strength gun weilders were frankly amazing and actually make the standard professional soldier look pathetic by comparison. Both in terms of reloading and in accuracy.

Are there numbers for the absolute best crossbowmen and bowmen available?

Because frankly it should scale towards that end.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2011, 05:14:05 am »

Since you guys insist on dredging up the topic, how about some items that haven't been mentioned a hundred times over:
Horseshoes, fastening buttons, universities, dams, tidal mills, (incendiary) grenades, force pumps, cement/concrete, sausages, tooth implants, gilding, paints & veneers, and Artesian wells.

Granted, the last is due to limitations on how the game handles pressure and aquifers, and some of the others are minutiae, but nonetheless...
...you can be a lot more original here.

We sort of do have artisian wells, as you have said, but as you have implied they can't really have pressure. Horseshoes will probably be added in time when we get proper mounts. Tidal mills require tides, which haven't been implemented into the game, and if tides were implemented into the game, then you could probably use a regular water wheel to do the trick. Sausages comes under food and drink, and they have been suggested several times before. Concrete would be nice to add, but it would be useless due to the fact that we can use stone just as easily, it's a common problem with many suggestions on this forum. We do have dams as well, but they aren't very realistic.

Universities are really very different from the rest of the technology suggested, since it's less a tangible technology and it's a social technology. Really things like universities need to be implemented in a way that they aren't a hard coded building and instead are a thing that the player themselves creates. Schools have also been suggested many times before.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2011, 06:46:31 pm »

School 'workshops' already have been modded in, including military training schools. The only problem is they lack a professor, theoretically you would need a teacher with the skills they want to teach as well as the teaching skill itself. In my idea, the school would be made from a desk (as well as tables and chairs for the students to sit in) and would be dragged out from the desk. This would require paper, as schools without books would be silly.

The professional ratio of crossbows-bows is roughly 6:10, average reload with adept users is roughly 4:9. Can you mod bows to shoot two arrows? (Twould be awesome)
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2011, 07:50:37 pm »

I could imagine a double crossbow, but a double bow would be really tricky to fire.

School workshops are flawed also in the fact that you have to use the manager options for it to get them to work properly and also that they train only one person at a time, instead of several people at a time.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 23, 2011, 09:54:12 am »

Does anyone seriously think a dwarf could use a welsh longbow? Or an elf or goblin, for that matter?

I think DF bows would be more similar to the shortbows NW_Kohaku mentioned, or perhaps the more powerful steppe horsebows. Either way, they should be devastating against unarmoured enemies and a distracting nuisance against armour, just like they were for practically all of human history.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2011, 04:19:49 pm »

Well, it's a fantasy stereotype that elves pack English-style longbows, so it'd be a question of whether DF wants to embrace that or not. I don't see a problem with making elves into pretty dangerous archers myself.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2011, 06:33:33 pm »

I embrace the idea that all such concerns be determined via procedural generation.  This would necessitate, I think, a rudimentary model of tech development and spread during world gen, which would also necessitate an abstract knowledge system more sophisticated than what we have now.  :3 

For example, if elves (or ANY civ) develop civilization or settle in full of trees with wood optimal for making bows (or can reliably acquire such wood via trade or conquest) and also develop or acquire the idea of making bows, and on top of that desire implementing bows in hunting or warfare or what have you, then that civ would make bows and use them.  I think dwarves should be able to use anything within appropriate physical constraints dependent on the physique of their species.  A people using a weapon more than another people should be determined by resource availability, physique of the species, cultural influences/preferences, among other things.  All of this should be procedurally generated (and to a large extent already can be and is planned to be), except for maybe the physique of species.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2011, 06:42:56 pm »

something I think would be a nice addition would be chemical batteries and light-via spark, laterns, like what the middle east had about 1000-1500 years ago, though what the chemical batteries were used for is unclear, their existance is proven, and I think dwarves could make som pretty evil devices with basic eletrical capibilities.
Nom nom nom

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2011, 11:09:30 pm »

Well, it's a fantasy stereotype that elves pack English-style longbows, so it'd be a question of whether DF wants to embrace that or not. I don't see a problem with making elves into pretty dangerous archers myself.

That particular stereotype is via Tolkien, whose elves are taller than humans and could easily wield longbows. I don't know how most of us imagine DF elves looking.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2011, 01:25:23 am »

That particular stereotype is via Tolkien, whose elves are taller than humans and could easily wield longbows. I don't know how most of us imagine DF elves looking.

On fire, dismembered, blabbering mindlessly, drowning.

You know, the usual  ;D
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2011, 09:38:09 am »

something I think would be a nice addition would be chemical batteries and light-via spark, laterns, like what the middle east had about 1000-1500 years ago, though what the chemical batteries were used for is unclear, their existance is proven, and I think dwarves could make som pretty evil devices with basic eletrical capibilities.

The chemical batteries weren't used for very much, as they didn't exist. I haven't seen any credible evidence whatsoever, and their existence is not "proven". The "baghdad battery" isn't even capable of producing current without modifying the design, and even then, the amount of current it could produce is extremely miniscule. Simply put, it very probably was not a battery, and we've only found one of the things anyway. Considering its design, it pretty likely was some sort of storage vessel... which would explain why it has an asphalt seal around it, which is great if you're trying to store things, but prevents you from using such a device as a battery to begin with.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:59:20 am by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2011, 09:53:09 am »

Concrete would be nice to add, but it would be useless due to the fact that we can use stone just as easily, it's a common problem with many suggestions on this forum. We do have dams as well, but they aren't very realistic.

On concrete: concrete could be used by human forts in lieu of wood. In addition, being able to synthesize infinite amounts of building material without using precious wood might be useful for players who wish to play above-ground only forts. As we are seeing with the current Adventure improvements, flavor-end changes like concrete would be are well-within Toady's scope for immediate additions to the game, and like clay is now, it could be an interesting alternate building material for above-ground megaprojects.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 25, 2011, 03:38:08 pm »

Weren't those chemical batteries used for making gold-plated crafts?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2011, 05:01:39 pm »

Weren't those chemical batteries used for making gold-plated crafts?
  • There was only one "battery" ever found, and it most likely wasn't even a battery (see my previous post).
  • Even among people who think it could have been an actual electrical device, there's no evidence of electroplating being done anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2011, 11:31:47 am »

what about greek fire?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17