Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: Absent pre-1400 technologies  (Read 46424 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Absent pre-1400 technologies
« Reply #240 on: July 07, 2011, 09:56:40 am »

I don't think dwarves should be able to craft firearms by default. The only exception I can think of is things like cannon and perhaps things like fire lances, hand bombards, and their ilk. I'd agree that precision is a tricky concept and I don't think they'd have enough for making handguns but screw-pumps are a fair example of dwarven precision.

You can make a screw pump in your own home using a soda bottle, a wooden dowel, some glue, and a sheet of paper.  Great for pumping popcorn around.

For pumping water you'd use sheets of stiff plastic instead.  Seriously, the tolerance on screw pumps is huge.

Senty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 07, 2011, 02:48:24 pm »

Fire as a defense, torches that keep wild animals away and blind cave creatures not used to bright light.

Medicine, take a ground up cow skull, add a rotten dimple cup and Mrs Urist will be preggers by tomorrow.  (Kind of covered by Alchemy)

Nutrition, penalties/diseases for not varying your diet.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 07, 2011, 04:04:28 pm »

You can make a screw pump in your own home using a soda bottle, a wooden dowel, some glue, and a sheet of paper.  Great for pumping popcorn around.

For pumping water you'd use sheets of stiff plastic instead.  Seriously, the tolerance on screw pumps is huge.
I know I've a simple bought one on my desk. The thing is that a dwarf can safely pump huge quantities of both magma and water without any leaking. I realise the pump rate is ridiculous, magma isn't realistic, and that they are simplified for gameplay reasons but I just felt like being a bit pedantic in claiming they are an example of dwarven precision. I agree with G-Flex really.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]