Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: For the 2 Adams  (Read 9987 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: For the 2 Adams
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »

Well that sounds fun.  That way around you can hook up with Cthulhu and you guys can work together on it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »

How deep are we talking?  Like Spongebob deep, or Cloverfield Deep?

Also, SNH is forgetting the fact that as much as the human race sucks, if they weren't around he wouldn't be able to whine about how much they suck.

Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>Also, SNH doesn't care about the fact that as much as the human race sucks, if they weren't around he wouldn't be able to pretend to be whining about how much they suck.</STRONG>

fixed

Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

Aren't we getting a tad off topic here?

With each off topic post, his power grows.

A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2008, 05:24:00 pm »

Ioric: Please read the post before jabbering on. I didn't insinuate your opinion on the games. I said that according to this thread, anything EA touches turns to shit. It doesn't really matter what you think but the vehemence you demonstrate trying to attack their perfectly legitimate tactics belies some suspicions. Really, why are you going out of your way to prove that the games I like weren't made by EA and could probably be shit?

Anyway, if we look at it from your point of view, since you basically admitted, "anything EA touches does not really turn to shit" and since you admitted that such a huge number of their games weren't in fact, made by them personally. Since you're so willing to admit that "it's MAXIS that creates the Sims and not EA", I can basically do the same for every single one of their other games. e.g: "it's EA SPORTS that creates their sports games". Currently, they are both subsidiaries. So, pray tell, what is the problem?

To summarize:
1. According to your analogies, EA doesn't do anything.
2. This was demonstrated by you concerning how it outsources everything.
3. By this logic, how would EA screw up a game if it doesn't make it?
4. Then, what is the bloody problem?

This is of course, in the understanding that you are arguing for the anti-EA camp. If you aren't, I would recommend revisiting and making your argument coherent. Also, here's a non-hostile, friendly tip (I'm serious): if you're in a debate and someone goads you into responding to every single one of his examples, it's a sign that he's trying to get you to play by his cards. I hope we can conclude this soon before Toady shuts down this thread.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

EA doesn't make the game, but since they're the ones with the money, they can decide what can and can't be in the game.
Shoes...

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>How deep are we talking?  Like Spongebob deep, or Cloverfield Deep?

Also, SNH is forgetting the fact that as much as the human race sucks, if they weren't around he wouldn't be able to whine about how much they suck.</STRONG>

It's simply SHOCKing that you didn't see that reference.  But perhaps I have a bit of a bios.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2008, 05:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Qmarx:
<STRONG>

It's simply SHOCKing that you didn't see that reference.  But perhaps I have a bit of a bios.</STRONG>

I see what you did there.

Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>EA doesn't make the game, but since they're the ones with the money, they can decide what can and can't be in the game.</STRONG>
In Bay 12 games, you're the guys with the money.

Has there been any instance where you managed to decide what can or can not be in the game that affects the game in some huge manner that turns it into shit? In fact, if you were say, the primary shareholder of Bay 12 Games Inc., would you go out of your way to turn Dwarf Fortress into a pile of shit?

I'm only campaigning against the idea that EA games only makes shitty games right now. The money-grubbing-ness and all that, don't get me involved as it's all conjecture. As it is, I can't fathom why a company would force a subsidiary to make shitty games since that would mean less profits. Even if it were milking a cash cow like the Sims, Metacritic scores (for want of a better grading system) show a B average. That's not shit. That's highly respectable since it's bloody higher than so many other publishers.

You know something though. I can't think of any company taking an existing game and going out of their way to make it crap. I know they take existing concepts and existing series to make highly controversial stuff but not an existing game. It would have to be a really rare event for sure...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

They're not doing it for the sake of making the game bad, they're making the game mass-marketable, which in our society means flashy graphics and simple gameplay.  Take the sports games for example.  How have they improved since the first sports games?  Graphics.  That's it.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>They're not doing it for the sake of making the game bad, they're making the game mass-marketable, which in our society means flashy graphics and simple gameplay.  Take the sports games for example.  How have they improved since the first sports games?  Graphics.  That's it.</STRONG>
And how would you know that? Have you played them from the very first one? Perhaps they are just not appealing to you and you're unlucky to be in the wrong demographic.

But I'm not going to go into this. I said I was against the idea that EA only makes shitty games. If we have no problem with that, hey, there's no problem.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

Actually, I have.  I used to have a copy of NFL '95 for the Sega Genesis.  Controls were almost identical to modern football games.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

I think the only time I'll play sports games is when they use full body motion control so I can suck as much in game as I do in real life and kick the ball at the referee. Unless it's tennis or badminton or squash or something like that. Other than that, I've only played Need for Speed 2... if that counts for a sports game.

Ooooo, maybe wushu! Fucking wushu simulator. Would be awesome...

Anyway, like I said, have you played every single one of the sports games? I don't think you're really qualified to have that opinion unless you've played a huge number of sports games from the oldest (1995 isn't exactly old) to the latest ones. If we're on the same page arguing concerning whether the game is crap, then here's the double-bladed question. If you have, then why on earth did you buy them? If you haven't, how can you justify that it isn't pure bias blinding your insight?

EDIT: By the way, real men call it the Megadrive. Do you know what real men play on the Megadrive? Not some pansy ass NHL game you little worm. It's Michael Jackson: Moonwalker! Get it right!  :mad:

[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

Genesis kicked ass. I think we can all agree to that.
HERZOG ZWEI FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

Anyway, back on topic.
There's at least one other way EA could make a game crappeh: force an early release.
Not that they always do (Anyone looking foward to Spore? Still?) but sometimes they'll release a game early to meet a distribution date or to capitalize on some kind of hype. I forget what game it was, some flight sim or somesuch, but to get it on Wal-Mart shelves they had to release it before the menus and dialogue was even finished, so everywhere in the game you'd see text boxes with "PLACEHOLDER TEXT" in nice, big letters. Plus it was reeeeaaaally buggy.

Also, is that how you spell dialogue? My spellchecker can't seem to identify it as a word.

A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »

Actually, the Sega belonged to my dad, I only played the football game when I was really bored.  Other games I had:  Earthworm Jim, Gunstar Heroes(Best game ever), Castlevania: Bloodlines, and some game where you were a surfer.

Also, since my dad is a sports fan, he buys the games on occasion, giving a good staggered view of the growth as a whole.  Beyond very small graphical updates, all of the games are essentially identical.

Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14