Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: For the 2 Adams  (Read 10126 times)

Angellus

Re: For the 2 Adams
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Wow, that came out of nowhere.

At no point in my post did I state that I believe people who can play DF are any better or worse people than those that don't - I'm just saying that with the graphics DF currently has, the assumption that many people are going make about it is that it's an old game, a bad game, or a game for nostalgic old fuddy-duddies. That's just a simple fact - you wouldn't be able to market a game like DF. How many roguelikes do you see on the shelves these days that haven't been given a graphical hike, like Diablo? How many game reviews do you see of mediocre games (Far Cry, Crysis, Halo 3) that still manage to score 10/10 because they look good? The gaming 'industry' isn't about gaming these days - it's about selling tech demos that people can feel good about because they can turn the settings on it all they way up to 10 and thus justify the thousands upon thousands of dollars they spent on their desktops. Gameplay does not sell a game. Screenshots and hype does.

If you put DF on the shelves, it would sell. Not fast, not in any great numbers, but it would sell. Some people would get interested in it and discover the game that we all know and love, but most people would fire it up once - without ever reading the manual - start playing it like an RTS and get angry when the game doesn't lower itself to accommodate their own impatience and stupidity. And DF shouldn't be that game. It shouldn't have to dumb itself down to make the Halo fanbois feel good about themselves and their a-button-smashing habits.</STRONG>

Agreed, I personally believe that the best thing that could happen would be the anno-type of sales.

Also, not a single graphic card could generate all that what is needed for such an audience. (Yes, they DO WANT INTENSE GRAPHICS!)
I personally would probably buy it, once it hits the 10-15 euros counter (down from 60-65, I'm budget ^^)

nb.(Too bad anno-1701 got fucked due to neglectance of the battle system)

Angellus

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>But... but... EA made Boom Blox. And Boom Blox is cool :/</STRONG>

Kinda makes me think of Toble, you should google it, its fun  :)

Lancer

• Escaped Lunatic
  • What does it mean to accelerate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by McDoomhammer:
<STRONG>
... I'm staying out of this one, except to add that I've never heard of either of those.</STRONG>

You're missing out. Mount and Blade is awesome and I've heard lots of good things about Europa Universalis. You really should try them.

Getting back on topic though; I wouldn't really trust DF in the hands of anyone besides Toady and ThreeToe. Maybe an artist, but that will come in time. I'm perfectly happy with a text based interface.

And subject name here, you can't deny that the average gamer wouldn't even give DF a chance. To me the average gamer is someone who mostly plays console FPSs and possibly a Blizzard game or two. Those games are all pretty user-friendly. Dwarf Fortress is not user friendly. Dwarf Fortress wants you to die over and over again, and it takes a lot of effort (or masochism) to make DF fun. An average gamer doesn't have the time or patience for that. It's frustrating when someone doesn't understand that because it usually seems like they're trying to be ignorant jerks.

Uh, I'm done. Hi guys. >_>

"Find out by racing balls down two tracks. Observe their speed and energy." -Lucas

Nukeitall

• Bay Watcher
  • HURR DURRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »

In the end, I think Toady has enough integrity not to cave.

Truthfully I'm more curious to see if his ideas and gameplay seep into other games - either with a subtle nature - or not.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
<STRONG>
(The word "alphabet" is now my dangling preposition safety net)
</STRONG>

Honey, you can dangle my prepositions any night of the week...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm:
<STRONG>Anyone notice the OP hasnt responded to any of this?  Poor Lunatic.

also, thanks to all those in this thread I have now added to my:

**Always Ignore**

list of forum posters.  your helping to streamline my forum reading time!  thanks!
</STRONG>

Are you twelve, or just a moron?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

C0nscript

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

I wish DF was like Dungeon Keeper.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

Ooookaaay, flames are getting a bit out of hand here...  Bystanders are starting to feel the heat.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

i think it's safe to say Toady should appoint some moderators or somethign when the new forum comes along, he can't watch these forums all the time...

Wish he didn't have to though.

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

Wow, this thread has everything.  Escaped Lunatics, EA-Bashing, Racism, Flamewars, Innuendo, all we need is a Fenrir appear/vanish.
Shoes...

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

Human Moderators are useless. Manflesh always serves it's own interests, Manflesh must be replaced with Robot Moderator then life will be fair.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »

Except a robot can't tell when something is obscene to humans.  Robots love a dirty joke.
Shoes...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>

I think it helps your image as a "d&mbass" =).
I like the "  :)" in your post, it helps to understand that it is just a joke. =)</STRONG>

Yeah, there are few good other ways to indicate sarcasm on the internet. This means I have to use smilies in about 50% of the things I say on the internet, unless I want people thinking I'm actually being serious.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »

[KeanuReeves]Woah.[/KeanuReeves]

This thread certainly got out of hand quickly, huh?

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

Are you twelve, or just a moron?</STRONG>

oh - definately MORON. *dances a moronic jig*
*puts on cap with propeller on top*
*runs in circles screaming "whheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"*
*pukes on self and gets too dizzy and falls down*
*wants to do it again*

waiiiiiiiiit, maybe i AM twelve...OMG

back to topic:
game developers do great things, they give us much joy in life, without them we really wouldnt have didly squat, they helped create this gaming industry giant without which most indie wouldnt even exist.   and yes they constantly screw up good games, but hey, its a business and profit is the goal (and we keep giving them that profit).  no one gets a job/starts a company to lose money.

We should all donate uber win money to Toady so he can market it himself to the stores.  that would be freakin sweet.  stick it to the man!

IMO - I agree most game buyers dont want "bad graphics" or "steep learning curve" games.  Many people want to play something for a few minutes, possibly an hour or two to pass some time and then put it down until they have some other free time.  Then there are gamers like me who waste way too much freakin time with games and due to over-exposure has become dulled to the lure of "shiny graphic thingy's".  not because I think they are poor quality but because there are so many of them and they all start looking the same ......... IMO  Toady's juggernaut (damn, funny movie) would sell to the clientele who, like me, listen to those like themseleves about what they have discovered as Great Games (no matter the publisher/source) and then purchase/donate (to) the game.

I dont think i am actually saying anything here more than just blah blah as far as the OP's topic is concerened.  *sigh*  

*pedals home*

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm ]

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm ]

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14