Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: For the 2 Adams  (Read 9993 times)

Rattyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rattyboy.wordpress.com
For the 2 Adams
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:21:00 am »

I can _not_ believe someone (2 of them) have written this game.

I have /never/ been so entranced. They have achieved Suspension of Disbelief with this product.  Complete suspension of disbelief.  I am on the verge of an unhealthy all night session but that irritating thing called work is getting in the way.  

Guys, if any game magazine editor ever gets wind of this program you will be quite pleased.  It's only a matter of time before EA or some other big publisher notices your work and promptly dumps cash into your lap along with a producer to polish this off and put it on shelves.  This game could easily be as big as Sim City in terms of sales.  

Why, oh why don't I have lottery winnings to buy artists, coders, and marketing ppl to help you two get this concept onto store shelves.  

This is an extremely commercially viable product.  I can't believe it hasn't been scooped up by a game publisher.

Have you two been approched by publishers yet?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: For the 2 Adams
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rattyboy:
Guys, if any game magazine editor ever gets wind of this program you will be quite pleased.  It's only a matter of time before EA or some other big publisher notices your work and promptly dumps cash into your lap along with a producer to polish this off and put it on shelves.  This game could easily be as big as Sim City in terms of sales.

FUCK that.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 12:52:00 am »

Graphics alone make DF completely unmarketable to the unwashed masses. The average gamer is incredibly shallow - if the screenshots aren't interesting, then they just spend their money elsewhere. And yeah, I'm sure by saying that I'll get a bunch of people quoting me going 'blah blah blah three dee is oar-sum, DF shuld be 3d coz itd be kewl, kthxbye' so in advance I'll just say NAR! to them and ignore their feeble attempts to convince me otherwise.

And DF has been in major magazines before, and thus far hasn't attracted any sort of publishing deal, as far as I know. I'm not even sure that Toady would accept something like that - DF isn't a mainstream game that can be put in a box and sold off a shelf. It's too left field. DF is the game everyone wishes they were making, but don't have the balls, audience or dedication to make.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:55:00 am »

quote:
FUCK that.  

Woah... go easy on the escaped lunatic. He was only complimenting Toady on his ability to create the game. Just because you believe that DF should stay a cult indie game doesn't mean that everyone else does. Maybe it would be better as a published game you never know until you play the finished product. Even if it failed miserably(or was a huge success), I would stay still play it and I am sure most of the people in this community would too.

I agree with the OP here , Df will make millions if it ever gets the chance.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 01:11:00 am »

But not under EA.  Just...  Not that.

The only way I would feel comfortable with DF getting sponsored would be if Tarn still had total authority over what goes into (and what doesn't) his game.  And I know the only way he's going to do that is if he's actually the one working the code, as I can't imagine him being the kind of person who would be alright with someone else doing the work, even if he did give explicit instructions.

Yeah, mainstream publishing isn't really suited for Dwarf Fortress at the moment...  Maybe at some point in the future it might be the right direction, but certainly not as it is now.  There's just too much that Tarn Adams needs to put in with his special touch.

If you do get some lottery winnings, just donate them directly.  It would go to much more good use.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 01:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Graphics alone make DF completely unmarketable to the unwashed masses. The average gamer is incredibly shallow - if the screenshots aren't interesting, then they just spend their money elsewhere. And yeah, I'm sure by saying that I'll get a bunch of people quoting me going 'blah blah blah three dee is oar-sum, DF shuld be 3d coz itd be kewl, kthxbye' so in advance I'll just say NAR! to them and ignore their feeble attempts to convince me otherwise.
</STRONG>

Now *THIS* is the cancer that is killing the B12 forum.

"Boohoohoo the other gamers are shallow idiots their inferior savage minds could never comprehend high-caste patrician things such as DF! *Ignores the fact that so many people are downloading it that it needs four separate mirrors because the main site was in danger of using all it's bandwidth*"

The DF page seriously needs a download counter so people can stop acting like the only civilized people in a sea of barbaric Saxons, Huns, and Germans.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 01:58:00 am »

Wow, that came out of nowhere.

At no point in my post did I state that I believe people who can play DF are any better or worse people than those that don't - I'm just saying that with the graphics DF currently has, the assumption that many people are going make about it is that it's an old game, a bad game, or a game for nostalgic old fuddy-duddies. That's just a simple fact - you wouldn't be able to market a game like DF. How many roguelikes do you see on the shelves these days that haven't been given a graphical hike, like Diablo? How many game reviews do you see of mediocre games (Far Cry, Crysis, Halo 3) that still manage to score 10/10 because they look good? The gaming 'industry' isn't about gaming these days - it's about selling tech demos that people can feel good about because they can turn the settings on it all they way up to 10 and thus justify the thousands upon thousands of dollars they spent on their desktops. Gameplay does not sell a game. Screenshots and hype does.

If you put DF on the shelves, it would sell. Not fast, not in any great numbers, but it would sell. Some people would get interested in it and discover the game that we all know and love, but most people would fire it up once - without ever reading the manual - start playing it like an RTS and get angry when the game doesn't lower itself to accommodate their own impatience and stupidity. And DF shouldn't be that game. It shouldn't have to dumb itself down to make the Halo fanbois feel good about themselves and their a-button-smashing habits.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 02:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Wow, that came out of nowhere.

At no point in my post did I state that I believe people who can play DF are any better or worse people than those that don't - I'm just saying that with the graphics DF currently has, the assumption that many people are going make about it is that it's an old game, a bad game, or a game for nostalgic old fuddy-duddies. That's just a simple fact </STRONG>

Because noone ever bought Europa Universalis, Mount and Blade,and the hundreds of other modern games that look like something that came out of 1999-2004.

You're like the TV exec's who assume their audience are completely stupid mongoloids who just want to watch 30 minutes of flashy visual effects, Space Hookers, and out of order episodes.

Your elite and snobbish thinking coupled with condescension is why most normal people avoid the Indie scene.

You're the type of person who refuses to vote for a candidate because he is "unelectable".

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: subject name here ]

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 02:20:00 am »

But... but... EA made Boom Blox. And Boom Blox is cool :/

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 02:22:00 am »

quote:
Because noone ever bought Europa Universalis, Mount and Blade,and the hundreds of other modern games that look like something that came out of 1999-2004.

You're like the TV exec's who assume their audience are completely stupid mongoloids who just want to watch 30 minutes of flashy visual effects, Space Hookers, and out of order episodes.

Your elite and snobbish thinking coupled with condescension is why most normal people avoid the Indie scene.

You're the type of person who refuses to vote for a candidate because he is "unelectable".

Obvious flamebait is: obvious    :roll:

Look, it's obvious that we just don't share a common ground on this issue. I obviously don't have the faith in humanity that you do.

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: Dasleah ]

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 02:28:00 am »

Saying you have no faith in humanity is pretty played-out these days.

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 03:31:00 am »

Quotation attribution please?
And it is fair to an extent to say that D.F. is too ugly for mainstream. Mostly because Toady has made it one of the cores to tart it up a bit. Or at least add a tutorial.
Also, dig the new distribution channels. Paypal's cut is far smaller than traditional publishing's would be.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 03:51:00 am »

Has SNH ever actually contributed to these forums?  Every time I see him he's just doing a troll impression.

Umiman, Boom Blox cannot erase the years upon years of torture, desecration and horror that EA has inflicted upon the gaming world.  But yes, Boom Blox is cool.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 05:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by subject name here:
<STRONG>

[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: subject name here ]</STRONG>

... I'm staying out of this one, except to add that I've never heard of either of those.

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Will

• Bay Watcher
  • Carp Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 05:45:00 am »

that poor lunatic, they give a compliment and start a battle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14